Mar 24, 2020, 08:13 AM
One of the worlds best hobbies
Thread OP
Discussion

Castor Oil; Where Are You Buying It

For those who use castor oil in their fuel;
This thread is about sources and prices for castor oil. Are you mail ordering or picking it up locally. Also, what prices, are there breaking points for quantity?
to remove ads between posts
Mar 24, 2020, 09:04 AM
Thread OP
The local source here is American Shortening and Oil Company in Livonia Michigan.
They do not ship in small quantities but will sell locally, over the counter. I called this morning and the current price for castor oil is $17/gallon , picked up.
For those in the Detroit area, a possible source.
Mar 24, 2020, 09:34 AM
I don't use much. I add 4 ounces of castor to a gallon of Omega 15% for peace of mind. I order by the quart from Sig, which lasts me about a summer. Mostly .40 sized planes (for now).
Mar 24, 2020, 10:11 AM
Castor is available in pints and quarts from Brodaks , S&W fuels , Sig manufacturing anybody who sells Klotz products. Yogi
Mar 24, 2020, 10:25 AM
Thread OP
The Sig castor in gallons lists for $47 per. I wonder if anyone has info on the In store prices?
Mar 24, 2020, 10:26 AM
I get castor from S&W for about $30 per gallon. They are local. My club does a group purchase from S&W every spring.
Mar 24, 2020, 10:36 AM
I use little Castor for Rossi engines as it is almost demanded by their Factory. I need a little bit, tried this guys: https://www.bulkapothecary.com/raw-i...ls/castor-oil/

Only the drum size in in stock.

Tower/Amazon has some Klotz Benol I guess...
Mar 24, 2020, 11:21 AM
Still gassin' it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ehab
I use little Castor for Rossi engines as it is almost demanded by their Factory.
Oh? I have always run them on 15% full synthetic, and never had problems with them?
Mar 24, 2020, 11:39 AM
I bought a gallon at the Perry swap meet last year. Bought another quart at a local swap meet last month. It's out there but I wouldn't pin my hopes on finding much more at a swap meet.

carl
Mar 24, 2020, 11:43 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ehab
I use little Castor for Rossi engines as it is almost demanded by their Factory. I need a little bit, tried this guys: https://www.bulkapothecary.com/raw-i...ls/castor-oil/

Only the drum size in in stock.

Tower/Amazon has some Klotz Benol I guess...
Thanks for the link. It looks like they price out near $19/gallon. I can appreciate following the manufacturers instructions

The Toledo RC show is shutdown for this year but there were several fuel vendors present over the years. They often sold castor , nitro etc as well.
Mar 24, 2020, 12:35 PM
GloBroz PowerLab
I get castor for $18 a gallon plus shipping from bulkapothecary.com. At least that’s the price I paid last time for two gallons. I think shipping was $12.
Mar 24, 2020, 12:49 PM
I have used bulkapothecary to buy castor and it worked good but the shipping I thought was high. Amazon has an overstock and close out site called woot.com. If you have Amazon Prime like me, 2 day shipping is free. About a month ago Klotz Benol showed up there for less than $20 a gallon. I ordered 2 gallons of it and should have got more. The problem with woot.com is you can not search for something. You have to go though all the stuff on there if it does not show up on the home page.
Mar 24, 2020, 01:04 PM
Sig -------------------------------------- $15.19 /qt + shipping
Amazon Klotz Benol ------------------18.00/qt + fee shipping over $25
Bulk Apothecary ----------------------- 8.00/30 oz + shipping

I have used all 3 for adding to glow fuel and currently have Benol on the shelf. It was $16.00 and free shipping when I got my last.
Mar 24, 2020, 02:18 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
I get castor for $18 a gallon plus shipping from bulkapothecary.com. At least that’s the price I paid last time for two gallons. I think shipping was $12.

Pretty close to the over the counter price at our local source. Unfortunately, they don't ship.
$12 is pretty reasonable shipping.

The Benol @ $20 for a gallon is very reasonable too.
Mar 24, 2020, 02:48 PM
Whats that drip ?
You can always use cod liver oil if you don't mind the smell. I personally stopped using castor oil after the age of 5. Used it in my 1/2A engines. Then went to "FULL" synthetic's and have had "Zero" issues with lubrication, as expected.

"Been There, Done That"

Quick Reply