Thread OP
Discussion

Converting a Saito gasser to methanol

For anybody interested.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 24, 2020, 08:03 AM
Thread Lurker
Would be interested if my little FG-11 could run on glow fuel
It would actually be useful on some models that I have..
Mar 24, 2020, 08:44 AM
Sell your high dollar FG11 and buy 2 good used FA62's, then build another plane to put the extra one on.

Seriously though, all my engines 115 and smaller run on glow, anything larger runs on gas. For me it's the weight penalty vs. fuel cost that sets the dividing line for gas vs. glow. Generally that means I'm using gas for any model larger than 60 size.

Your FG11 can easily be reverted to glow fuel with the purchase of the fa62 glow carb and by retaining the use of the cdi ignition it will idle lower, gain a little power on the top end and use less fuel as well. All good imo.
Last edited by Notme2; Mar 24, 2020 at 08:52 AM.
Mar 24, 2020, 08:48 AM
Still gassin' it.
Thread OP
Weigth penalty cannot be defined: different for existing planes vs newbuilds.
Newbuilds can be built weight neutral down to .30, IF you simply build clever.
Mar 24, 2020, 01:34 PM
Thread Lurker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notme2
Sell your high dollar FG11 and buy 2 good used FA62's, then build another plane to put the extra one on.

Seriously though, all my engines 115 and smaller run on glow, anything larger runs on gas. For me it's the weight penalty vs. fuel cost that sets the dividing line for gas vs. glow. Generally that means I'm using gas for any model larger than 60 size.

Your FG11 can easily be reverted to glow fuel with the purchase of the fa62 glow carb and by retaining the use of the cdi ignition it will idle lower, gain a little power on the top end and use less fuel as well. All good imo.
High dollar indeed, it probably will still use "more" fuel than running on gas I assume? I will look into purchasing the glow carb and trying it out
Mar 24, 2020, 01:44 PM
Still gassin' it.
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeniethLily
High dollar indeed, it probably will still use "more" fuel than running on gas I assume? I will look into purchasing the glow carb and trying it out
Yup... on spark, and for the same powersetting, approximately twice the volumetric consumption. At WOT, about 2,2 times more volumetric, but with about 20% more power (approx 5~6% more RPM) than gasoline.
On glow, power goes down slightly, fuel consumption goes up a bit.
Mar 24, 2020, 01:53 PM
Thread Lurker
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Brutus
Yup... on spark, and for the same powersetting, approximately twice the volumetric consumption. At WOT, about 2,2 times more volumetric, but with about 20% more power (approx 5~6% more RPM) than gasoline.
On glow, power goes down slightly, fuel consumption goes up a bit.
Nice, good info there. I would also guess that I won't need to run the metal mount since overheating is no longer as big a concern as it was on gas? That should help cut some weight off the model that I would like to mount it on, so that it wouldn't be too nose heavy.
Mar 24, 2020, 02:22 PM
Still gassin' it.
Thread OP
On CDI, an engine will get almost as hot, as when running gasoline, regardless of running methanol, is my experience.
At least, my 2-strokes in helicopters got significantly hotter after switching to CDI, in the order of magnitude of 50F higher CHT and actually to the point where the engines continued to run with a shut down ignition.
Mar 24, 2020, 02:22 PM
it's also an expensive way to get to methanol with cdi unless you can somehow crap out a proper methanol carb. installing a magnet and sensor is a piece of cake, even without expensive shop tools and costs much less than buying a conversion.
Mar 24, 2020, 02:28 PM
Still gassin' it.
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighcopter
it's also an expensive way to get to methanol with cdi unless you can somehow crap out a proper methanol carb. installing a magnet and sensor is a piece of cake, even without expensive shop tools and costs much less than buying a conversion.
Bluntly put: We all know converting a perfectly good gasser to methanol is utterly pointless and a waste of money.

That was not what this thread was started for.
Mar 24, 2020, 06:44 PM
Whats that drip ?
Well for some fun you could always add a couple ounces of nitropropane into your gas can to get a bit more kick out of the gasoline. I'd do that before backwards converting a perfectly good gas engine to run on methanol / glow fuel. Fuel consumption with go up a bit, as well as combustion temps, so you have to run with a richer air / fuel mixture to compensate for the added oxygenation properties of the nitropropane, but fun stuff

You have to be careful as you can easily "wind up" a rod, especially those soft Saito rods.

Been there, done that.
Mar 24, 2020, 06:54 PM
Still gassin' it.
Thread OP
You have been to a lot of places lately, and done lots of stuff, haven't you?
Mar 24, 2020, 07:57 PM
Whats that drip ?
Well yes I have
Mar 24, 2020, 08:27 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Brutus
For anybody interested.
Which engine? I imagine the main difference between a Saito FA82 and the FG14 is the carburetor. Do you think the combustion chamber is different? I have not checked I didn't take apart my FG14 yet.

I personally prefer an additive conversion like adding a CDI unit to an engine using glow plug and burning methanol. Rather than taking my FG14, shelving the gasoline carb and putting on a methanol fuel carburetor. Seems like such a waste to let the gasoline carburetor sit on the shelf.
Last edited by SeismicCWave; Mar 24, 2020 at 08:33 PM.
Mar 24, 2020, 08:35 PM
Whats that drip ?
Most likely lower compression of the FG14

Quick Reply