Mar 24, 2020, 03:25 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

What to do in lock down ???

With only 25 hours until New Zealand is locked down for 4 weeks. I guess Iíll make one final trip to the Hobby Store to stock up on balsawood and glue. Iíll have plenty of time to sort all those dlg projects Iíve been putting off for a few years. Howís it going in the USA do you guys have restrictions yet?

Chris
From Tauranga New Zealand
to remove ads between posts
Mar 24, 2020, 03:30 AM
in Germany, you are allowed to get out for sport activities (aeromodeling is a sport) but alone.. So, i plan to fly DLG time to time...
Mar 24, 2020, 08:11 AM
The Mr. Rogers of RC soaring
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisch
Howís it going in the USA do you guys have restrictions yet?
Outdoor exercise (while keeping distance from people) is encouraged here. So I have still been doing some flying. And some building. And of course lots of fun arguments here on RC Groups.

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Mar 24, 2020, 11:02 AM
Charles Martin

Blue Skies

Phoenix Arizona has no restrictions on individuals, but groups and unnecessary travel are discouraged.

The skies have been blue for over a week, like when we moved here 20 years ago. On any day, the "Valley of the Sun" is usually covered by a blanket of smog, with clear skies only after a storm. Gonna miss that when life returns to normal.

I'm fortunate enough to live near an abandoned golf course, and can fly daily, but miss my comrades.

My best friend - besides my wife - is the CNC foam cutter, which will be producing wings and tails that will be grafted onto an e-Flitz fuse.

Mar 24, 2020, 02:02 PM
a friend once told me..."never wink at your cellmate" seems appropriate for this thread
Mar 24, 2020, 03:29 PM
I am having so much fun at home. Yesterday I built a temporary, down and dirty Hot Box for some DLG wing molds .

Then I had a Quarantini. It's the same recipe as a martini, but I drink it at home, alone in the basement.
Mar 24, 2020, 04:01 PM
In F3J size does matter!
I just finished a free flight DLG (also called TLG for tip launched gliders)
Mar 24, 2020, 04:40 PM
That looks great! I have always wanted to do a micro RC version of the free flight DLGs. Maybe single channel using the Vector gear.

Ryan
Mar 24, 2020, 04:53 PM
plays with toy planes
That looks so fun. Is that carbon tow from the peg to the fuse?
Mar 24, 2020, 06:01 PM
iVoid Warranties
Built 3 more of the gliders I made at worlds. This time they are laser cut, so they all fly the same. Also have another CX5 4IP to build for JoeCube
Mar 24, 2020, 07:00 PM
Thread OP

What to do in lock down,

Hi Guys,

thanks for the replies. Iíll post some of my projects as I soon as I can. We are allowed out to get grocery supplies and for exercise only. Itís going to be a long month ahead

Chris
Mar 24, 2020, 08:11 PM
My read of Indiana's lock down rules is that outdoor exercise is allowed if conducted with 6 feet of distance (part of essential activities) so my plan is to exercise with some DLG.

Ryan
Mar 25, 2020, 01:02 PM
Thread OP
Hi Ryan,

Sounds like a good idea. Iím going to get my old polecat XP5 back in the air. Itís been gathering dust for the past decade. A bit of 5 minute epoxy and I should have it back in the air. Here in New Zealand we are only allowed to go off our property for the grocery store, doctors or pharmacy. We can exercise but only if you can walk or cycle there. No driving cars unless youíre an essential worker. I guess we are luck being on an island with a population of 5 million. We are surrounded by water and our boarders are closed until the Virus is gone. That could be some time I guess

Chris
Mar 25, 2020, 01:14 PM
In Indiana (at this time anyway) we can drive to exercise but it has to be outdoors and has to be done keeping 6 feet of separation. Hope that things are going OK for all the awesome DLG folks out there.

Ryan
Mar 26, 2020, 06:48 PM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
I have probably flown more since the lockdown started than in the three years prior. I have a DLG charged at all times and when I take breaks from working from home, I go out and fly a task using the timer on my TX. Usually 1-2-3-4 or AULD.

I'm lucky enough to have a park that's about a two minute walk from my front door.

If I have only a few minutes to kill, I generally throw a battery in my crack yak and goof around in front of my house.

Yeah, the neighbors love me...

Quick Reply