This thread is privately moderated by Hawk Driver, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 23, 2020, 11:08 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

E-flite F-16 70mm Mods and Repaint

Trying to make the best out of the “Social distancing” required to minimize the spread of the Corona virus pandemic. Here is the Eflite 70mm F-16 Thunderbird repainted and detailed to represent an F-16C aircraft tested in the 1980’s in a dedicated Close Air Support (CAS) role. The thought was that the A-10 was too slow to be survivable in the high threat anti-air arena and needed to be replaced with something faster. The USAF created a test squadron of F-16’s to evaluate the concept. They also replaced a National Guard unit’s A-10’s as well. This unit was the 174th out of Syracuse, NY. “The Boys from Syracuse.” Their F-16’s were painted in the standard two tone gray scheme.

The version I did here was of the evaluation unit based at Nellis AFB. Their aircraft were painted i. The Euro 1 scheme prevalent for close air support aircraft at that time. The colors were Federal Standard 34102/34092/36081.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 23, 2020, 11:28 PM
Thread OP
Here’s a list of the mods I did:
Repainted entire aircraft
3D designed and printed a tail fin reinforcement along top. Of the vertical tail.
Painted the landing gear struts gloss white.
Painted the wheel hubs gloss black
Added a pitot tube to the vertical tail using the Freewing 90mm F-16 part.
3D designed and printed the HARM Targeting Pod and mounted it on the right side of the intake.
Designed and printed the LAU-88 Maverick missile launchers.
Designed and printed the Mid-wing pylons
Used the drop tanks from the Freewing 64mm A-10 as the wing tanks for my F-16.
Designed and printed the centerline pylon and support structure.
Printed 2 AGM-65 Maverick missiles
Designed and printed the Wingtip AIM-9P Sodewinders and missile rails.
Added a centerburner.
Added a Castle 5 Jet Pilot
Reduced and printed the ACES Ejection seat from the Freewing F-22.stl.
Added a reflective HUD to the cockpit.
Designed and printed a combination of vinyl and dry transfer decals.
Put each control on its own channel to allow for flaperons and tailerons.

Quick Reply