What's Your "I'm stuck at home" Project?

I wanted to check in and see what projects you guys are working on during this time.

Splash

What Are You Working On?

I know for many in the US and around the world, we've been asked to stay home and remain socially distant to help stop the spread of the Coronavirus. This means you will likely have a lot more free time than usual. With that in mind I wanted to check in and see what projects you guys are working on during this time. Maybe you decide to finally build that kit you've been holding off on, or finally do that repair on a plane you crashed last summer. A friend once told me "a determined man with a hobby knife can do many things," so now with more free time, what will you do with it?

For me, I put one of my CX5 DLG's in a tree last month at a contest and in the process of getting it out of the tree, the nose broke off (see photo above^) and damaged the vertical tail. I'm planning to start the repair process soon and get it back in top flying shape. I look forward to seeing what builds, repairs, weathering, or other fun projects you guys are working on. It doesn't even have to be RC either. I have some parts coming to build a custom lightsaber and may even write an article on it in our DIY Electronics forum section. Whatever you do, stay safe and I'm sure this will all blow over and life will get back to normal in the near future.

Last edited by Jason Cole; Mar 23, 2020 at 08:15 AM..
Mar 23, 2020, 08:52 AM
I think I am finally going to start on my ProFly OV-10 Bronco 1800mm (70.8") Wingspan. I have been dragging my feet on this for months. I have the plane, I just need to electronics for it.
Mar 23, 2020, 09:07 AM
Hi

Just started to build this:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ostid=44066001

See post 200.
Just finished the wings. It is not that easy as it seams....
Some pictures with the wings finished with some 3d printed control horns.
Mar 23, 2020, 09:55 AM
WJH
WJH
B747-400 First Officer
I'm working on not dying as I await my Cov19 test results.
Mar 23, 2020, 10:54 AM
Work. Making the "Next Big Thing" for you all.

Just because the office is off-limits doesn't mean they give me time off!

Andy
Mar 23, 2020, 10:56 AM
I just got into the hobby and just built my first plane DIY. I'm struggling with the electronics now though. I can not get my Taranis QX7 to bind with my Spektrum AR410. Any suggestions?
Mar 23, 2020, 11:02 AM
Ask in Radios. There's gotta be somebody there who can help.
Mar 23, 2020, 12:01 PM
Ghost Rider the pattern's full
3D printing ordinance for my used A-4 80mm
Mar 23, 2020, 12:04 PM
Professional sink locator
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnston857
I just got into the hobby and just built my first plane DIY. I'm struggling with the electronics now though. I can not get my Taranis QX7 to bind with my Spektrum AR410. Any suggestions?
Taranis transmitters will not bind with a Spectrum receiver, you will need to use a Frsky receiver with your Taranis or get a Spectrum Transmitter to use with the Spectrum receiver.
Latest blog entry: Repairing a boom break
Mar 23, 2020, 12:12 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Just finished this E-flite Bonanza. The kit was discontinued a long time ago and mine has been sitting on my shelf for almost 10 years. It took a virus named after a Mexican Beer to help get me motivated, but I found the E-flite retracts I bought long ago and the V-tail kit, and started on the build. I referred to an old RCGroups Review for helpful tips along the way.

I decided to use one of my EF-1 1200kV motors and a 10x7 3-blade prop for power and an AR7350 RX with AS3X for guidance. The 1200 kV motor has lots of power on a 3-cell 3000 - 4000 mAh battery pack and the packs slide easily under the former in the fuselage.

The maiden went very well. Flew great for 5 minutes at 1/2 throttle and the 3350 mAh pack came down barely warm and at 3.80 Volts per cell. Only surprise was when I tried an outside snap roll at the top of a loop. The snap turned into a spectacular tumble! I needed lots of power to finally get it pointed straight down to recover. Luckily I started the snap really high and had enough room to pull out. Not sure I'll try that again anytime soon.

Now I'm ready to start my next confinement project - an Ultra Stick 10cc with a Saito FG-14C gasser.

McD
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Mar 23, 2020, 01:21 PM
Unless you have a spectrum module in your radio, you will need a FrSky receiver.
Mar 23, 2020, 01:31 PM
AMA 8855
I was able to source a Citabria Pro kit by BUSA from on of the RCG members. I was lucky enough to have ordered in CA from Star Bond and epoxy from another supplier a few weeks ago so Im set.
I wish yall the best of health and to stay safe from this virus. We will all get through this together.
TJE
Latest blog entry: Greyhound Express
Mar 23, 2020, 01:38 PM

Dancing Wing Extra 330

I ordered the Extra 330 kit from BangGood Hobby in China for about $70. I thought it would keep me busy through the winter. It took two months to get here. Now it should keep me busy through Covid-19.

It's constructed mostly of balsa and plywood, a little carbon fiber, simple hardware then covered with polyester film. It uses laser-cut interlocking structures to build the airframe. It's a basic economy kit and a bit of a challenge.

The instruction manual is a sheet of assembly photos with a minimum of very poorly translated text. You must be familiar with open-framework balsa and plywood construction, able to work without details and fix a few errors. It's up to you to know best gluing techniques, figure left-right orientation, radio and power system installation, hinging technique and covering process. Almost like a kit from the 50s.

The laser cutting does not go through in spots. The parts fit is OK but inconsistent. Canopy sides are thin and delicate. The fiberglass cowl is strong and heavy. The landing gear legs and mounts are questionable. If you can work to improve quality, add features and save weight, this may be a nice little plane. I'm just getting into it. Let you know when it's done and flying.
Mar 23, 2020, 01:51 PM

Sig 1/6 Clipped Wing Cub

Now I have time to finish the Sig Cub that I started in October.

Quick Reply