This thread is privately moderated by Smotherb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 22, 2020, 06:29 PM
Trader Rating: 37
Thread OP
For Sale

HPI 4.6 purple head

Hello, I have a savage that has a purple head on the engine. I saw these for sale a few years ago but never purchased one. Now I need it and looking for a new one.

If you have one you can sell, please message me with your price. Does anybody know what version motor this came on?

Thank you!
to remove ads between posts
Mar 23, 2020, 08:47 AM
Trader Rating: 7
The earlier versions of the F4.6 engine had a purple head. Later versions appear to have had black or gunmetal heads. The K4.6 engine had a purple head with machined areas on it. The F4.6 engine came on the Savage X while the K4.6 engine came on the Savage X SS. The F4.6 purple head used to be part number 1490, but currently all you find are the gunmetal versions under that number. Someone might have a NOS 1490 purple head out there or look for an older F4.6 engine that you can use for parts.. Hope this helps you a bit.
Mar 24, 2020, 08:56 PM
Trader Rating: 37
Thread OP
Thanks! Will the heads of newer engines for the f4.6 work to replace my purple head? If so, use the same amount of shims?

Mine is the savage x and always believed it was an f4.6. Thanks for the reply.
Mar 25, 2020, 11:23 PM
Trader Rating: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smotherb
Thanks! Will the heads of newer engines for the f4.6 work to replace my purple head? If so, use the same amount of shims?

Mine is the savage x and always believed it was an f4.6. Thanks for the reply.
As far as I know. the F4.6 engines have the same spec between the earlier and later versions. The only real difference appears to be the head color, so the grey head should bolt right on to earlier F4.6 motor. The shims should stay the same too.

Be aware that the Savage X came as a 4.1 version with the F4.1 engine and later as a 4.6 version with the F4.6 engine. The 4.1 and 4.6 engines have different cylinder bores, so the heads would be unique to each engine.

Quick Reply