Mar 22, 2020, 02:18 PM
Big gov never Works
Thread OP
Build Log

QBSBO---1942 F4U-1 "birdcage"

Well...just what I need, another plane to build...
The plans from OZ, are of a printwood kit circa 1942, by Miniature Aircraft Corp. Designed by Frank T Roberts, for rubber. 1/12th scale, 40"WS-32"LOA. Not many kits ever came out in the F4U-1 version. The only kit I remember was the Sterling CL version of the 50's. The other Sterlings were the 36" F4U-1A Boyington version and a 24" F4U-5 stick rubber. And a peanut scale version. As prop fighters go, the gull wing has always been on the list's top. When I found these plans a few years ago, I knew I had to build it. Very rare bird.

I had enough ink to just make tiling the plans. Memory had me thinking I purchased some scale 3b props from Hobby Lobby years ago. As luck would have it, I found them! 11" dia Hamilton Standard w/adjustable pitch. Will have to figure out an adapter system. They are an inch shy of scale, but I won't say anything.

Motor not sure yet, but have a good selection. Eflite 480 may be a good choice on 3s. We'll see. So, on to taping and planning. Hmmm...maybe even the XF4U-1? Move the cockpit forward...sure would be even rarer and easy to see. I did have a 30" XF4U-1 plans, but file too large. This could be used to relocate the cockpit.

Fuzz
Last edited by St. Martin; Yesterday at 08:09 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 22, 2020, 03:08 PM
Summit Model Aeronautics
Fuzz,

This is going to be a treat! That plan is really nice, and I've got it stashed now for "one day". An F4U has always been on my build bucket list, so watching how you do it will be like taking a night course on it!

Steve
Mar 22, 2020, 03:24 PM
Big gov never Works
Thread OP
Thank you, Steve! Nothing like the head-on view of a Corsair coming in low...

Fuzz
Mar 22, 2020, 03:43 PM
Watch out for that planet....
Hi Fuzz,

When i was tipped off that you had a new build started, I was of course expecting another EDF... But full of surprises as always here you go with a corsair- cool, another of my favorites! I'm in!

Almost wish I was a fellow detainee but alas (?) I'm off to work as usual.

Cheers,
Shane.
Mar 22, 2020, 04:04 PM
Big gov never Works
Thread OP
You can still throw your hat in, Shane. This may go on till your spring! I was considering another jet. I got the KY fan intake done and what a sweetie! I'll send you guy's some pics later.

Fuzz
Mar 22, 2020, 04:45 PM
Or current resident
This will be good. Signing in.
I think I bought a few of those props too, but might have bought the smaller size both 3 and 4 blade. Dang, I need to get on with building stuff...
Mar 22, 2020, 05:57 PM
Big gov never Works
Thread OP
Hi Glenn, join in, please! Wish I had bought more of these, back then. They are pretty stout. Not like some of the floppy ones I have seen. Have 3 extra blades too..

Fuzz
Mar 22, 2020, 06:06 PM
Wanted for breaking Ohm's Law
Iíve pulled up a chair too.

Taking a break from my Scale Kwik Fli 180....
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Mar 22, 2020, 06:30 PM
Viceless no longer :)
Looking forward to following this one.
Vicky
Mar 22, 2020, 06:57 PM
Pro Hoarder
Cool..always liked the birdcage version
Latest blog entry: In flight
Mar 23, 2020, 08:17 AM
Big gov never Works
Thread OP
Hi Guy's, and welcome! You guy's should really enter this. It will keep us all trying harder!

I was up 3am this morn taping tiles. I think this is the worst part... But all done. Now to study for structure mods.

Fuzz
Mar 23, 2020, 08:22 AM
Or current resident
Living here in the swamp this commercial is probably the funniest I've seen.
Mosquito Sucks Tobasco - 2010 Superbowl Commercial (0 min 31 sec)
Mar 23, 2020, 08:26 AM
Big gov never Works
Thread OP
Thats rich, Glenn!
Mar 23, 2020, 02:57 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Hi Fuzz

I did the prototype Corsair for rubber a few years back- there's a Guillow's plan of it at 20" and there used to be a DPC kit. I tossed the plan airfoil though. Could mail you the plan if needed. I think there's a Dare, sorry, Brodak kit in this size range too. Might check with Mike Midkiff- think he did the plans and he did come up with a set of mods for me to change my A6M-5 to the A6M-2 version.

Sam
Mar 23, 2020, 03:51 PM
Big gov never Works
Thread OP
Hi Sam! I think Mike did his in 3/4" scale. IIRC it was the same size as the Guillows, but much lighter built. I have his Avenger plans, they are 3/4" and a 41" WS. That would make the Corsair 30-3/4" WS? His Hellcat was 33". Great designer. If I decide to do the XF version, I will let you know, Sam.

Spent most of the day trying to match an adapter to the HL prop and Eflite 480 1020Kv outrunner. Think I found one. I like to get all items needed, and plan their locations and other mods.

I find it amazing, that they got these plans so accurate, for 1942. A lot of models from that era, are usually way off, due to secrecy restrictions. Run into that with a lot of Earl Stahl military models.

I almost did the FSI (Flying Scale Inc) Vindicator. FSI had some very accurate plans for the era. To big to upload the PDF planfile. https://aerofred.com/details.php?ima...04&mode=search

Fuzz

Quick Reply