Mar 22, 2020, 01:09 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
Thread OP
Discussion

The video that got me started

14 plus years ago...
Goodness! Time truly flies too fast.
14 years ago was when I started with DLG. It started from seeing a guy launching a Photon and thinking - Duh! Why doesn’t he just put a motor on that thing? I flew electrics then (foamy P51, flying wing, Kyosho Viento, 3m electric Graphite and Stork2). The guy let me launch and fly it and I said “Wow!”, this is actually pretty awesome.

Then, I saw this video. i think this is probably when I started falling in love with DLG and my other planes started collecting dust.
Kula DLG 2sept06 (3 min 40 sec)

How about you? What got you started?

Soar!
Jun
to remove ads between posts
Mar 22, 2020, 01:14 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
Thread OP
This was my first handlaunched glider. I wish they still made them.
Can someone make these again? This plane really flew great.

The Boomer EX2

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ng-Wing-Review

https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/a...127-topfin.jpg
Mar 22, 2020, 03:22 PM
Build and Fly
Good thread!

Five years ago, I discovered RC flying via FliteTest, and the first time I saw their old DLG video, I knew I had to try one of those things!

My first DLG was a Mimi that I built myself. It's still hanging on my glider rack today.

Flite Test - Discus Launch Glider (15 min 26 sec)
Mar 22, 2020, 03:51 PM
Here you are...10 years ago.

(2 min 55 sec)

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...g-on-the-Beach

Tai
Mar 22, 2020, 03:59 PM
solastagia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcats
This was my first handlaunched glider. I wish they still made them.
Can someone make these again? This plane really flew great.
Mountain Models used to make them, maybe they could be talked into making a batch?

http://www.mountainmodels.com/index.php?cPath=25_28

Kevin
Mar 22, 2020, 05:38 PM
iVoid Warranties
https://web.archive.org/web/20080509....liftworx.com/

The owner is one of my dad's friends from college, so we grew up flying these, then progressed..
Mar 23, 2020, 05:13 AM
Bruce Davidson, id already found Hyperflight by then (Neil and myself live pretty close) but Bruce got me hooked, and those early promo videos for the Bruce were hilarious. He’s obviously a very good pilot and air reader but he made it look very simple and his plane set ups looked the same, never over complicating anything which I liked.

I obviously bought all his videos from Paul Naton and watch them regularly even today.
Mar 23, 2020, 07:39 AM
Kyle Clayton
Way back in '08, this is the one that got me interested, the Steigeisen. Bet its been at least 5 years since you heard that name!!

Steigeisen F3K (3 min 9 sec)
Last edited by Wave Glider; Mar 23, 2020 at 07:46 AM.
Mar 23, 2020, 09:42 AM
F3B and F3K
Hi Kyle

I saw the prototypes of the Steigeisen at the Bregenz Eurotour contest in 2007. It looked very futuristic compared to the other models of the time, as the picture shows.

I flew my first Eurotour handlaunch contest in 2006. I still remember that I did not do well, but I won my all up by pimping a lonely tree three times, which was a boost of morale.
On another flight, I went downwind and collided with the horizontal cantilever of an industrial crane. My helper thought I would never launch that high, so no worries hitting it....

Do not ask me about what I did yesterday, but I still remember that some 14 years ago.

@Jun: indeed, time flies. I still feel the same joy though when launching and flying an F3K model...

Reto
Last edited by RetoF3X; Mar 23, 2020 at 10:45 AM.
Mar 23, 2020, 12:06 PM
hot air rises...
10 year ago for me. Oddly enough there is actual video of the very first time I saw someone flying a DLG (Mike Maurer)... I was impressed at how far that blaster floated but was hooked when Mike mentioned there were contests for these things .

Jon Finch Is Alive Plus DLG (1 min 18 sec)
Mar 23, 2020, 12:31 PM
I' ve got a plane to catch...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibnjmn
Good thread!

Five years ago, I discovered RC flying via FliteTest, and the first time I saw their old DLG video, I knew I had to try one of those things!

My first DLG was a Mimi that I built myself. It's still hanging on my glider rack today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGvllx83zAw
Haha, flite test...

I quited RC flying some 15years before but at that time I enjoyed watching some flite-test stuff on you tube. I could resist until that swedisch guy launched that thing,
Sold my trialbike, a bought a blaster2...

First time a heard of 2,4GHz... whatdoyoumean? Where is the antenna?
Mar 23, 2020, 01:01 PM
Sometime around 2005 I went with family to 60 Acres South to fly foamies and saw these guys (SASS club) throwing their DLGs and was amazed. Eventually I got a hi-start Fling in 2008 and caught first thermal, then moved to DLG in 2009.

Most influential video was of this guy launching
DLG launch Poway (2 min 11 sec)
Mar 23, 2020, 02:39 PM
The Mr. Rogers of RC soaring
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcats
How about you? What got you started?
I started flying hand launch to train myself to fly RC in 1994. Started out by doing what people would call a trim toss on a Spirit of 76. After I bashed that up a bunch I got an actual hand launch kit, the dynaflight skeeter and started to actually to actually try to do a real javelin launch with it. I also high started it (and before it the spirit of 76) some. I'm sure the longest I ever flew the Skeeter from a hand launch was about 30 seconds. I could just throw it high enough to make a big circle and land back near myself.

After the skeeter I had a bunch of javelin launch models. Fling Thing, then NSP Neon, then Chrysalis, then Wizard, then Monarch D, then Wizard Light. I realize a lot of these names won't mean anything to some folks here. I attended the 1999 IHLGF with my Wizard and Wizard Light. Back then the cool thing to do was get out there a few days early and practice on Thursday and Friday. I knew abut tip launch models because a friend of mine from college was living in the Seattle area. But I didn't know about DLG. So that first day after a bit of flying on the Wizard I'm in the car area charging my model and talking and all of the sudden I hear a really loud "woooooossssshhhhh" and as I turn my head to look at the field I see this model rocket upwards. I'm thinking, whoever threw the must be a great thrower. Then I kind of go back to what I'm doing and then a few minutes later, same "woooooossssshhhhh". This time I look at who seems to be flying and I'm kind of perplexed to only see this older, shorter, pot bellied gentlemen in the vicinity of the model. I think that is odd and this time I watch him, watch him land the model, and then do a discus launch. That's when I knew that the days of javelin launching were limited and that launching from a wing tip was going to be the way of the future.

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Mar 23, 2020, 03:24 PM
Gone with the Mistral
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibnjmn
Good thread!
Same thing here.
I must say that the f3k video I watched the most is that one (plus part2)

Jun C. - DLG Launch Clinic Part 1 (9 min 4 sec)

Thanks Jun
Mar 24, 2020, 03:58 AM
Amongst other disciplines, I used to fly javelin launch HLG in the 90’s. I had a few years RC hiatus due to moving continents, but in 2003 I was in a position to get back into RC and I came across Oleg’s website - http://olgol.com/TabooXL/ and it was Taboo love at first sight! That photo of the taboo XL just looked so right, I had to have one! I got one and soon found the UK ‘mini glider’ competition scene and haven’t looked back! My first ‘big’ event was the 2005 IHLGF, where I got to meet Oleg, Joe, Phil Barnes, Bruce Davidson, Paul Anderson, Mark Drela, Tom Kiesling, Lex and many others, including the missed John Ericsson. I finished 24th, IIRC, and was pretty happy with that. I came back in 2007 and made the fly offs, finishing 6th and was super happy with that! Not sure if he remembers, but that is when I met Jun, his first IHLGF, I think. That trip I also met Kevin ‘Rowdy’ Botherway. A better caller you will struggle to find.

Quick Reply