Old Jan 26, 2007, 05:48 PM
Find More Posts by S_Dave
Marx and Lennon

Whoops--too late! "Siren" now has removeable wing panels...

Well, I guess the excitement of the newly arrived "Siren" was too much for one of my colleagues. In the last hour, he fabbed up and fit a set of end-grain/carbon fiber wing-joiners and anti-rotation pins. Now my, well I guess it's become "our," new plane has removeable wing panels. We took photos, and I can provide these if there's interest, and I can figure out how to attach them.

We're going to probably do a sample spar failure test Monday, and I'll post these data for group interest.

Didn't mean to disregard the two good replies--my buddy slipped that mod by me while waiting for something to cure.

Speaking of servos...
Reading past posts, I note that HiTec HS-56, HS-81, and Futaba 3107 have been mentioned. Do you all have any reliability data on the digital Futaba S3150 servos? They're the same size as the HS-81's and I have some.

Thanks! and it's a gorgeous day to be in Georgia (albeit a tad cool).
Cheers,

S_Dave
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2007, 05:58 PM
Find More Posts by soholingo
BANNED!!!
sounds good. Post pics...

j
Old Jan 26, 2007, 06:32 PM
Find More Posts by sabercat
J, I think I read some where that you might have put some reflex in the ailerons? If not disregard. And I will have my wife slap the crack pipe out of my hand the next time I'm the on R/C group. hehehe.
Last edited by sabercat; Jan 28, 2007 at 03:31 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 07:23 PM
Find More Posts by pinolefm1
Permanently Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_Dave
Well, I guess the excitement of the newly arrived "Siren" was too much for one of my colleagues. In the last hour, he fabbed up and fit a set of end-grain/carbon fiber wing-joiners and anti-rotation pins. Now my, well I guess it's become "our," new plane has removeable wing panels. We took photos, and I can provide these if there's interest, and I can figure out how to attach them.

We're going to probably do a sample spar failure test Monday, and I'll post these data for group interest.

Didn't mean to disregard the two good replies--my buddy slipped that mod by me while waiting for something to cure.

Thanks! and it's a gorgeous day to be in Georgia (albeit a tad cool).
Cheers,

S_Dave

endgrain carbon fiber ???

Steve
Old Jan 26, 2007, 11:50 PM
BANNED!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabercat
J, I think I read some where that you might have put some refluxes in the ailerons? If not disregard. And I will have my wife slap the crack pipe out of my hand the next time I'm the on R/C group. hehehe.
Put the pipe down... I don't even know what a reflux is, unless its regarding a GI disorder...
Old Jan 27, 2007, 04:02 PM
ok...
Old Jan 28, 2007, 03:41 AM
Reflex, not reflux. My bad. long days at work 12hrs + moving into a new home. Wife has been real sick . 2 months almost no flight time
Old Jan 28, 2007, 11:43 AM
BANNED!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabercat
Reflex, not reflux. My bad. long days at work 12hrs + moving into a new home. Wife has been real sick . 2 months almost no flight time
I knew what you meant...

Sick wife, 12 hour work days, no flying for two months, new home, maybe the crack would help.
Old Feb 02, 2007, 12:40 AM
Find More Posts by Jim-KK1W

Motor Choice

I'm considering a Multiplex 480/4G w4.4:1 gearbox for both a Siren (not built yet) and to stick in my old Airtronics Eclipse in the meantime. Plan on running 3S-1P TP-2100's to start.

Seems like so many people know more than me here, I have a couple of questions for the group.

1. Does this motor make sense? Seems reasonably priced for my style of flying (competent but not advanced).

2. Tower Hobbies is listing both a 480/4T w4.4 and a 480/4G w/3.3. Looking at the Multiplex site I only see a 480D and 480G (Direct or Geared). I can't find a listing anywhere on the web for a 4T. I'm assuming the /4 means 4 turns so I would guess the Tower 480/4T w4.4:1 is the correct one. At least it is in stock.

3. With only 3 cell Lipos would I better off to go to the 3.3:1 gearbox?

It seems like either the 4.4 or 3.3 would be workable, tough to choose between the two.

I'll be using a Castle CC45 ESC, plan on propping in the 12-8 to 13-8 range.

Thanks for any advice offered,

Jim
Old Feb 02, 2007, 06:46 AM
Find More Posts by Andy W
Somebody else asked about the multiplex motors, if you look back in this thread I believe the info is here. I'm pretty certain you won't be able to get it to balance with a 3s 2100 LiPo.
..a
Old Feb 02, 2007, 10:01 AM
Andy,

Thanks for the comment. Are you suggesting a balance problem with the Eclipse, Siren or both. Good comment on balance, I will check into weight and balance with the Eclipse. I actually had to add tail weight to get that into balance with the power system in it now (or lack of power system would be a better description). It is sporting an 05 brushed, on/off controller, 7C, 800ma NiCad and an old Futaba RX with HUGE servos. Time to put some serious thought into this. I have a number of 3S1P 2100 LiPos from my TRex so would like to make use of them if possible. Maybe a direct drive outrunner would be a better match with on 3C to work with.

Back to the drawing board, thanks again.

Jim
Old Feb 02, 2007, 05:12 PM
Find More Posts by Andy W
The Siren won't balance with a 3s 2100 pack (this is a Siren thread, I thought you were referring to a radio.. )
..a
Old Feb 02, 2007, 05:46 PM
BANNED!!!
I looked at the multiplex 480bl motor (I have a 480/6g 4.4). The motor weighs 6oz or so about the same as the axi 2826/8. Using the axi and a tp2100 3s pack I was able to get it to balance.

The plane does not balance at the suggested points, its too nose heavy, and when I first flew the 3s2100 pack I had a LOT of nose weight in the plane. As I flew the plane I realized the published cg was off. Took the nose weight off and got the plane to balance with the 3s1p pack.

I think if you are going with a 3.3 box go with a smaller prop 12x6?? and if you go with the 4.4 go with a bigger prop 14" or so. FWIW Steve Neu says the multiplex motors were some of the highest efficiency motors in this price range.

Jay
Old Feb 03, 2007, 01:51 AM
Thanks guys,

Andy: yes it is a Siren thread, just trying to find a power system that can do double duty between the Siren and the Eclipse.

Jay, I appreciate the input especially since it is predicated on real world experience. Now I know what I'm shooting for. If I can end up using the motor/gb in both planes, along with my TP2100's then life is good.

Thanks,

Jim
Old Feb 06, 2007, 05:39 PM
Find More Posts by flyboyrvk
I sent the following question to this thread but have not yet heard a response from anyone. Is anyone out there using the AXI 2826/8 and what prop with 10cell NiMh?

"I have a Siren running an AXI 2826/8. I had been using a Aeronaught 13X8 folder with a Jeti 70A ESC on an 8cell Electrifly pack. I just changed batteries to a 10cell, 2000mah pack. The AXI literature reccomends a 12X8 prop for the 10cell pack. Will I be risking damage running the 13X8 prop? I seems to run fine on the ground with short throttle bursts, but I did not want to risk longer runs. Any suggestions would be appreciated."

Thanks, R