Apr 30, 2012, 06:00 PM
Dir. of Innovation at Alert 5
I'm glad to hear people having some great times with this bird.
I'm just cooling my heels and fiddling with a couple of other builds... I hope to have her back in the air this weekend or next...
to remove ads between posts
May 01, 2012, 10:09 PM
Okay, hopefully I don't get flogged for asking but I'm planning on building a 'budget' siren setup soon as a first proper warmliner. After looking through this thread and doing a little searching, here's what I've come up with. I would greatly appreciate any insight or suggestions for this setup. I picked stuff all from Hobby-Lobby except the battery, but that's because I wanted to keep it as much in one store as possible and try to save from shipping all the way from China (if I went with Hobbyking)

Motor: My main question is what kV should I be looking for in a plane like this? Is this enough kV, or is it too much?
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/25_size_b...33017_prd1.htm

ESC: I figure 65A is more than plenty for this setup. Didn't want to break the bank with a Castle ESC
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/erc_65a_b...35809_prd1.htm

Prop: Aeronaut Cam gets thrown around a lot, and 13X8 seems to be a typical size
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/13x8_carb...e_817_prd1.htm

Spinner: Is this the right size?
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/40mm_turb...t_249_prd1.htm

Servos: Hitec HS-82 MG for ailerons, HS-65 MG for elevator.
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/hitec_hs_...33096_prd1.htm
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/hs_65_mg_..._2795_prd1.htm

Battery: Gonna start 3S Lipo, figure 3000 mAh 35C? No link as I'm still shopping them. Anyone used a Turnigy Nano-Tech in these? I just ordered a few to try on my Dynamic-S, I figure if I like them I'll use them in the Siren

All this works out to around $500 for the plane and electronics. Appreciate any input

EDIT: I've been doing some more research on motors...Espritmodel.com recommends an MVVS 40 4.6/1120 motor which costs $130. Is it worthwhile to buy a motor such as this and transplant it into a nicer plane down the road, or would you recommend sticking with a 'budget' setup?

I started looking for motors comparable to the MVVS, and came across these two inrunners from hobbyking.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Inrunner.html

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...r_1660kv_.html

Any thoughts on whether these motors would be reasonable? The second one is a higher KV and a lot more max power, so I'm almost tempted to go with that and run a 13X10 prop, but I have no idea if that would work.
Last edited by JayhawkJake; May 03, 2012 at 10:39 AM.
May 03, 2012, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkJake
Okay, hopefully I don't get flogged for asking but I'm planning on building a 'budget' siren setup soon as a first proper warmliner. After looking through this thread and doing a little searching, here's what I've come up with. I would greatly appreciate any insight or suggestions for this setup. I picked stuff all from Hobby-Lobby except the battery, but that's because I wanted to keep it as much in one store as possible and try to save from shipping all the way from China (if I went with Hobbyking)

Motor: My main question is what kV should I be looking for in a plane like this? Is this enough kV, or is it too much?
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/25_size_b...33017_prd1.htm

ESC: I figure 65A is more than plenty for this setup. Didn't want to break the bank with a Castle ESC
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/erc_65a_b...35809_prd1.htm

Prop: Aeronaut Cam gets thrown around a lot, and 13X8 seems to be a typical size
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/13x8_carb...e_817_prd1.htm

Spinner: Is this the right size?
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/40mm_turb...t_249_prd1.htm

Servos: Hitec HS-82 MG for ailerons, HS-65 MG for elevator.
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/hitec_hs_...33096_prd1.htm
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/hs_65_mg_..._2795_prd1.htm

Battery: Gonna start 3S Lipo, figure 3000 mAh 35C? No link as I'm still shopping them. Anyone used a Turnigy Nano-Tech in these? I just ordered a few to try on my Dynamic-S, I figure if I like them I'll use them in the Siren

All this works out to around $500 for the plane and electronics. Appreciate any input

EDIT: I've been doing some more research on motors...Espritmodel.com recommends an MVVS 40 4.6/1120 motor which costs $130. Is it worthwhile to buy a motor such as this and transplant it into a nicer plane down the road, or would you recommend sticking with a 'budget' setup?

I started looking for motors comparable to the MVVS, and came across these two inrunners from hobbyking.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Inrunner.html

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...r_1660kv_.html

Any thoughts on whether these motors would be reasonable? The second one is a higher KV and a lot more max power, so I'm almost tempted to go with that and run a 13X10 prop, but I have no idea if that would work.
I'm using the exact motor (MVVS)... 13x10 is too much prop for is, especially on the 3S setup.
I experimented with props and the sizes ranged between 13x6.5, 13x8, 14x8 and all I can say is that hands down, on 3S, the 13x6.5 spanked the other props.
Climb outs to 1000' were at leas 2<3 seconds faster with the 13x6.5 on a 3S 2200 pack (Jeti 70 Pro Opto).
Also, the data sheet you get with the MVVS suggest a wide range of setup options. One of which I am going with. A 4S setup with a 12x6 prop. This thing will be ballistic!
With regard to your build sheet,
(Servos) I'm using, with alot of success, the Hitec HS65 all the way around.
(Batt) I use "Gravity" brand... but at the feild the Hobby King "Zippy" brand is everywhere
(Prop/Spinner) I'm using the Aeronaut 40mm spinner with the "Turbo" style nose cone, its ventilated to aid with cooling. Also, the MVVS has a build in cooling fan, its well worth the money, I would buy another one in a second!
(ESC) Hobby Lobby is having a huge sale, the Jeti 70 Pro opto is $80 I think? maybe less...
Remember, the Lazy man works the hardest and the Cheap man ends up paying the most....Good luck and get flying!
May 03, 2012, 08:11 PM
Update: "Project Super Siren"

Well, I managed to make some good progress today. I sprayed the primer coat on the main wing and it's looking awesome! Now, just have to figure out what color?
I removed the inner plywood former and proceeded to sand and them lay up two sections of carbon fiber cloth (6oz).
I picked up a 4S 2200 pack from the LHS and I am looking forward to seeing this bird fly.
I fell in love on the 3S setup, so I cant wait to see her on a 4S! Stay tuned....
May 06, 2012, 06:53 PM
Update "Super Siren"

Got the top side of the wing painted today. I went with white and it came out great. I'll finish the bottom side this week and get her back in the air asap!
May 08, 2012, 10:52 AM
Sorry Demon6, been away awhile. 4S battery is a hobbyking 2200 - just fits behind the motor. Pictures to follow later. Throttle controller is velcro-ed to the top of the fuse in front of the wing mount and the battery slips underneath. This little devil really screams on the 4s battery.

I appreciate your wing-glassing mod. I have taken to glassing the wing joints with a ~2 inch strip of medium weight cloth and epoxy. Seems to be Ok and has stopped the wing breaking, that and reinforcing the dopey lite-ply laminate spar connectors. I noticed on "rekitting" one broken wing that the root ribs are barely [and sometimes not] glued to the spar itself, only the skin! No wonder they break at the blink of an eye!

all the best!
May 09, 2012, 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K5RCR
Sorry Demon6, been away awhile. 4S battery is a hobbyking 2200 - just fits behind the motor. Pictures to follow later. Throttle controller is velcro-ed to the top of the fuse in front of the wing mount and the battery slips underneath. This little devil really screams on the 4s battery.

I appreciate your wing-glassing mod. I have taken to glassing the wing joints with a ~2 inch strip of medium weight cloth and epoxy. Seems to be Ok and has stopped the wing breaking, that and reinforcing the dopey lite-ply laminate spar connectors. I noticed on "rekitting" one broken wing that the root ribs are barely [and sometimes not] glued to the spar itself, only the skin! No wonder they break at the blink of an eye!

all the best!
K5-

I picked up a 4S 2200 batt. at the LHS and I did a Watt test and I have to go to a slightly smaller prop (actually matches their (MVVS') recommendations)).
During the test I saw 850<900 Watts @ 70<80A with a 13x6.5 prop...
They recommend a 12x6 prop on the 4S and that will undoubtedly sneak me under 70A (due to my using a Jeti 70A ESC)...
On another note I finished painting the wing and after a few decals I will do an epoxy "squeeze" fit to the fuse and get this sucker back in the air!
I went with a simple White/Black scheme and IMHO turned out pretty good... I'll add some asymmetrical stripes for orientation in a little while...
May 11, 2012, 03:41 PM
Demon - The airplane looks great. Your finding of 800~ watts with a 13-6 sounds about right given that my rig turning an 11-7 puts sucks up about 520W. Had my airplane clocked at 140+ mph. Given the airplane size and profile, that is disturbingly fast. I can't begin to imagine how yours will fly at ~ 50% more power. Make the contrast pattern big......At 140 it is hard to tell which end is up at altitude. Amazingly, this airplane will thermal well. I put a CAM altitude limiter set at 200 meters and was able on occasion to thermal to spec height. I also had an altitude reporter on board and "spec height" is at around 3000 feet.

This is one tough airplane...I had a battery connector come loose causing the airplane to dive in from ~ 150 feet. It did a "spear" landing, driving the nose into the mud up to the wing root. Broke the wing but after cleaning the dirt out of the nose end, I found no damage and the motor works fine. The stock motormount bulkhead will not tolerate this sort of thing but the strenghtened mounts discussed in this forum really make the fuse quite strong.

Looks like you are close to a "re-maiden" flight - good luck.
May 11, 2012, 08:55 PM
Quote:
Demon - The airplane looks great. Your finding of 800~ watts with a 13-6 sounds about right given that my rig turning an 11-7 puts sucks up about 520W. Had my airplane clocked at 140+ mph. Given the airplane size and profile, that is disturbingly fast. I can't begin to imagine how yours will fly at ~ 50% more power. Make the contrast pattern big......At 140 it is hard to tell which end is up at altitude. Amazingly, this airplane will thermal well. I put a CAM altitude limiter set at 200 meters and was able on occasion to thermal to spec height. I also had an altitude reporter on board and "spec height" is at around 3000 feet.

This is one tough airplane...I had a battery connector come loose causing the airplane to dive in from ~ 150 feet. It did a "spear" landing, driving the nose into the mud up to the wing root. Broke the wing but after cleaning the dirt out of the nose end, I found no damage and the motor works fine. The stock motormount bulkhead will not tolerate this sort of thing but the strenghtened mounts discussed in this forum really make the fuse quite strong.

K5-

Thanks man... Yep, she's getting ready.. I'm on call this weekend, but I will twiddle a bit here and there to get her in the air by next weekend. I will get a video of the re-maiden for sure.
I ordered a 12x5, 12x6.5 (no 12x6 in stock ) and an 11x5 3-bladed folding (all Aeronaut) to see how she likes them... should be fun for sure!
I'm just more interested in how the wing performs... She was great on a 3S, the 4S should be maddening
May 15, 2012, 09:09 PM
Quote:

Project Update:

Hey K5-

I received my prop sets from Espirit Model and sat down to do some Watt tests...
To re-cap, I'm using:
MVVS Sport 4.6/1250 Inrunner (Stable to 60A continuous)
Jeti 70A SB Pro, Opto
Castle UBEC

On 4S 2200mAh
11x6 3-Blade = 935W @ 70A (Too hot a setup for this motor)
12x5 2-Blade = 700W @ 50A (Very stable numbers, could run all day long)
13x6.5 2-Blade = 900W @ 70A (good power, but couldn't pull a climbout past 5<6 sec)
I have a few more props to test out, but I'm in the right area...

On another note I finished painting the wing... Weather permitting, I'll fly this weekend...
May 19, 2012, 12:24 PM
Successful maiden of the Super Siren!
Well, it was a calm, balmy day in South Florida and the Siren flew like a champ!
Maidens are always a bit iffy, but after some trim adjustments, she calmed right down and was a breeze to fly, as always.
I went with the 72mm CG setting and 25% expo all the way around...
The 3-blade setup is good for torque, but climbout tedious....
I am happy with the performance with the 2-blade 12x6.5 on both 3s & 4S...
Throttle timer set for 3 minutes gets me back to terra firma with approx 40% with overall flight times of 8<20 minutes depending on how much loitering I do... She's a real crowd pleaser...
May 20, 2012, 11:13 PM
Nice...I have been watching your posts/mods....pretty cool bro. I now have over 100 flights with mine and always bring this plane every time I fly. It is a crowd pleaser like you said.
May 21, 2012, 07:15 AM
eflyguy
Thread OP
Nice.

Looks like a pretty field, too - do you get any slope lift off that hill? Looks like it faces West?
..a
May 21, 2012, 09:01 AM
Hey guys-

Thanks Warrick!
Andy, the field is an old reclaimed trash pile if you can believe it... they have been turning them into parks and our club has the top of this one to use. Its about 300<350ft elevation and it faces South and Southwest as viewed from the pilots pad. We to get some very good days of lift from the slope, but the majority of the guys fly Warbirds, EDF's, and Radians etc... I have seen the Slope Soarers on Youtube etc, but no one other than me has brought out a Hotliner/Warmliner... They love it for sure.
I would love to get into kinetic sloping, but I would have to go it alone at my field and I find my powered glider is like having training wheels... I will have to take the leap of faith and ditch the motor to really experience the thrill. I love the "whistle" of my fast flyby's and the dives/loops etc!
Maybe some advice on an entry composite (F/Glass, Balsa, C/Fiber) sloper?
May 23, 2012, 08:09 PM
Well, I decided to take the plunge and do a Wing with Flaps/Spoilers (thanks for the peer pressure K5 ). I had a new unassembled wing so I decided to strip it, glass it, and install the additional servo bays etc...
Not the hardest job... I think it would be just the right amount of difficulty for someone looking to step slightly out of the RTF nest.
Here are some straight forward pics with a little narrative for those who may want to give it a go...

Quick Reply