Great Planes Siren Hotliner ARF Review - Page 54 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Mar 24, 2010, 12:52 AM
The frigin Catalina wine mixer
flightmare's Avatar
try using a very thin wire that has enough rigidity to poke through the obstruction...
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Mar 24, 2010, 12:56 AM
The frigin Catalina wine mixer
flightmare's Avatar
It is probably resin buildup
Mar 24, 2010, 12:58 AM
You down with EPP?
johnnyrocco123's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightmare
It is probably resin buildup
It feels like a thick aluminum collar.
Mar 24, 2010, 01:03 AM
You down with EPP?
johnnyrocco123's Avatar
Sorry guys, after finding my micro flashlight, I can see that it is a thick ring of glue. It is so hard it feel like a steel ring. There s no way around it, I will have to figure out how to break it which would probably break the fuse or swap it for a new one.
Mar 24, 2010, 01:10 AM
The frigin Catalina wine mixer
flightmare's Avatar
That sounds about right.I just took off my servo cover,and had a looksee inside,and is wide open..
Johnny ,Did you buy it new?
Mar 24, 2010, 01:15 AM
The frigin Catalina wine mixer
flightmare's Avatar
It almost looks like you can get the correct angle on it for breaking it out..A thin blade 6" screw driver will get it by going through the 1 1/2 servo hole,and several taps with a small hammer.
Mar 24, 2010, 06:21 AM
Registered User
Andy W's Avatar
Can't imagine how that would be in there. There would be no way for that to be from the mold, as it would have settled to one side.

Mine, as with every other molded fuselage I've worked with, was wide open. Just dropped the extension down through the hole.

Faced with this obstacle, however, I'd just use a long piece of the thickest music wire I had, and knock it out from the front - drop the wire down until it is resting on the obstruction, and tap the back of it until it pops free.
..a
Mar 24, 2010, 06:41 PM
You down with EPP?
johnnyrocco123's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W
Can't imagine how that would be in there. There would be no way for that to be from the mold, as it would have settled to one side.

Mine, as with every other molded fuselage I've worked with, was wide open. Just dropped the extension down through the hole.

Faced with this obstacle, however, I'd just use a long piece of the thickest music wire I had, and knock it out from the front - drop the wire down until it is resting on the obstruction, and tap the back of it until it pops free.
..a
I brought it to my LHS, they agreed there was nothing I could do but exchange it. The gob of Glue was as hard as a rock and literally the size of a pecan half.

I couldn't even get a tiny screw through it. I talked to Tower Hobbies today and they are shipping me another fuse, (next day ship).

It's a buumer though, I have been working on this plane to take it with me to TEFF tomorrow. Oh well.
Mar 24, 2010, 07:00 PM
The Kid
Thekid3418's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123
I brought it to my LHS, they agreed there was nothing I could do but exchange it. The gob of Glue was as hard as a rock and literally the size of a pecan half.

I couldn't even get a tiny screw through it. I talked to Tower Hobbies today and they are shipping me another fuse, (next day ship).

It's a buumer though, I have been working on this plane to take it with me to TEFF tomorrow. Oh well.


You want to sell that extra fuse
Mar 24, 2010, 08:09 PM
The frigin Catalina wine mixer
flightmare's Avatar
You can still use that fuse..Just pass the servo extension out and around the obstruction via a 1/8 or 3/16 hole in the fuse.
Mar 24, 2010, 08:35 PM
You down with EPP?
johnnyrocco123's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightmare
You can still use that fuse..Just pass the servo extension out and around the obstruction via a 1/8 or 3/16 hole in the fuse.
Tower offered to exchange it. Yes, I have to send them this one.

I knew I should have built my Sunracer first. :0
Mar 24, 2010, 08:40 PM
The frigin Catalina wine mixer
flightmare's Avatar
One other thing about the Siren is the Firewall..Replace it..
Mar 24, 2010, 08:54 PM
Registered User
Andy W's Avatar
I have made a make-shift drill by squaring off the tip of a length of 1/8" music wire. I used it to make holes in the ribs in a built-up wing for servo wires.

Then there are the drill bits mounted on long fiberglass shafts for running wires thru studs in existing construction. I have one of those now too..
..a
Mar 25, 2010, 12:23 AM
You down with EPP?
johnnyrocco123's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightmare
One other thing about the Siren is the Firewall..Replace it..
Really?

I don't think I knew what I was getting into with this plane. I didn't want something I would have to reconstruct.

Why do you guys buy the Siren when you seem so knowledgable about hotliners?

For another $150 you could get into something a lot better with no mods.

My excuse is, it was a Christmas present.

I really wanted a Wilco-Tiger-F5B Hawk.
Mar 25, 2010, 12:53 AM
The frigin Catalina wine mixer
flightmare's Avatar
For an inexpensive entry level warmliner,it is not a bad investment (Debatable by some)
The firewall is probably ok.All I am saying is after you have all the time and money(Plus all the stress involved with fishing servo extensions through)you'll want to eliminate any possibility of failure.
As for my Siren,this was my first warminer.I had a few Tiger's,3 or 4 Bandits,quite a few Cermark sailplanes...
Dont give up,it'll be worth it...


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article Great Planes Wright Flyer ARF Review Michael Heer Parkflyers 22 Feb 15, 2010 03:42 PM
Sold Great Planes Siren Hotliner ARF Steve H. Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W) 1 Sep 13, 2006 04:28 AM
Sold Great Planes Siren Hotliner Sailplane glide Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W) 6 Oct 08, 2005 02:20 AM
Sold Great Planes Siren Hotliner EP ARF 79" (NIB) trw43 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Oct 03, 2005 08:20 PM
Great planes siren?? Hotliner or warmliner? argarre Electric Sailplanes 3 Sep 01, 2004 09:16 PM