Mar 22, 2020, 07:53 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Bob Violet

If you fly an RC Jet of ANY type, you better know his name. Thank you Bob, for your service and all you did for the Jet lovers of the world.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 22, 2020, 10:10 AM
Yes , a very sad day for me since I met Bob as a teenager at PGRC in Maryland when he was racing pylon at the field near my families store in the 70's. My parents would drop me off to watch the RC planes to pass my time. I saw him develop and fly the A-4 Skyhawks he became famous for many times at events there. Once I was able to afford RC models as a young adult he set the standard for excellence and innovation. We became friends later in life and spent a year working together on a ducted fan UAV project at AAI Corp.. In 2013 he took me on a personal tour of his factory in Winter Springs when Janice and I took a ten day trip to Florida to visit Nick Ziroli, Dave Schulman, and the Violet's at their homes or businesses. He was always kind and a wonderful mentor to myself and my former business partners when we were Reps for BVM. Any time he was back in
Maryland BV would stop by our shop to show us in person the newest items and spend some private time with myself and Eric Baugher before heading to the PGRC field to demo planes for his home club. He even donated a kit to raise funding for them to have a paved runway at their new field. I'm sure that it s difficult time for the entire family and staff at BVM. God speed my friend.
Mar 22, 2020, 11:52 AM
Pro Hoarder
Did he pass?
Last edited by turbonut; Mar 22, 2020 at 12:04 PM.
Mar 22, 2020, 01:00 PM
Yes he did 2 days ago. RIP

I'm always amazed how well he designed the Bandit when I fly it.
Mar 22, 2020, 01:29 PM
Pro Hoarder
RIP..thank you for your service!
Latest blog entry: In flight
Mar 22, 2020, 02:07 PM
Thanks for posting, I was unaware that Bob had gone west. I was fortunate to have met him several times over the years at meets and the many technical discussions over the phone helped move my BVM builds toward completion and flight. I will be forever indebted,
Blue Skies Bob!
Mar 22, 2020, 02:42 PM
EDF all the way!
RIP Bob Violet! Always a pleasure when we talked a jet meets.
Bob
Mar 22, 2020, 03:04 PM
Classic jets rule
RIP Bob , thanks for your service to our country and the passion you gave to this hobby.
Mar 22, 2020, 03:18 PM
HEAS
I remember the day he told me that EDF (insert bad word here) will never Fly.
Mar 22, 2020, 03:31 PM
TeamSiam

Farewell Bob

Bob,

You showed all of us, what it means to have a bizz like this in the best manner.
You survived every crisis, have had always the best planes and parts for them, showed us that the complete systems have to be evaluated and matched!

If somebody was deciding to go "JET" , he just had to buy your stuff and there was no question unanswered, no single part missing or wrong, every CG was fitting perfectly, every "FLY-Train" was the best in that time, justr GO+FLY as it's best.

To you and your family my deepest sympathy, I am proud to say:

I met you several times, at the flying field as well as in your company, and it ewas always a pleasure! Remembering the times we had lunch after some meetings, i'm starting to smile!

You will be always in my thoughts!
Rainer
Mar 22, 2020, 06:20 PM
Battery Puffer
Good post Rainer, Bob was a friend and mentor to many of us. I am so sad to hear of his passing.
Condolences to his family.

Mark
Mar 22, 2020, 06:34 PM
jofro
What a perfect timing to kick the bucket, he has seen the best of it!
Mar 22, 2020, 06:45 PM
Started into this hobby after seeing the January 1974 issue of American Aircraft Modeler with his Shrike pattern plane as the construction article. Purchased the plans that same year. Still have them after almost 50 years. Purchased a Shrike kit 3-4 years ago (my personal holy grail). Was planning to send a photo to Bob once it was complete. Still might sent it to BVM.

Wrote Bob in "Asks the Experts" column in MANs in the mid 70's, he kindly replied. Neat feeling for a teenager. Never made it to his shop in Orlando while on vacation in 2013. Really wanted too.

RIP Bob
Last edited by jpurcha; Mar 24, 2020 at 12:14 PM.
Mar 23, 2020, 08:13 AM
Thread OP
Here's Bob picking some parts for me! I never met the man, but i'm currently paying tribute to him in the form of a build.
Mar 24, 2020, 02:29 PM
Thread OP
His words were prophetic when he warned about FPV and drones.

Quick Reply