Apr 02, 2020, 08:52 PM
Trader Rating: 247
BnG...
Last edited by balsa-n-glow; Apr 19, 2020 at 12:41 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 02, 2020, 09:15 PM
Trader Rating: 35
"Sport 3Der For Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa-n-glow
Google "Fedex near me" and you'll get several nearby options, like;

Sumter Printing Copy Shop
FedEx Authorized ShipCenter
310 Broad St
Sumter, SC 29150 US

You simply drop off there after you print your label.
https://local.fedex.com/en-us/sc/sum...ery-sites.html

I have a drop off center 2 miles from my house. I bring back home pizza, milk, beer, doughnuts, or other groceries as the need may be at the shopping plaza where my drop off center is located.
thanks very much for this information!
Apr 03, 2020, 08:28 AM
Trader Rating: 193
Go Gondos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro Burner
don't know about ya'll (funny your in OH) but there is no FED EX for 50 miles of where i live and if you are not a commercial account,they are not going to pick it up.
Not sure why that's funny,, but yeah,, Solutions are out there,, you just have to look for them,, My understanding is FedEx will pick up anywhere they deliver,, not necessarily for free,, they might charge a fee for pick up in some more rural areas, But manned and unmanned drop off locations are plentiful,, ya just have to look

good luck
Apr 03, 2020, 11:10 AM
Trader Rating: 78
Sent a NIB skybolt kit from Oregon to VA--ALMOST $90---CRAPPPPP
It's hard enough to sell good stuff nowadays but with that kind of shipping people wont buy and we can't afford to eat that kind of shipping--that was UPS ground---tried all 3 shippers--really high prices and people think WE are ripping them off...
Apr 03, 2020, 11:13 AM
BnG...
Apr 03, 2020, 08:07 PM
Trader Rating: 104
holy crap, I just mailed a Great Planes CG machine today, and it cost $13.60 shipping What really gets me, is I sold it for only $23 because that is all they go for. It just doesn't pay to sell things anymore, the shipping eats up the sale price people are willing to sell.
Apr 03, 2020, 09:15 PM
Trader Rating: 1
Paper Plane Scratch Builder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro Burner
don't know about ya'll (funny your in OH) but there is no FED EX for 50 miles of where i live and if you are not a commercial account,they are not going to pick it up.
I use Fed EX a lot but, I have a local hobby shop that has an account and I ship through them for about half the price of going to a retail Fed Ex shipping location. Find a local business you already do business with and see if they have a FedEx account and will ship for you at their cost.

Fed Ex should be hungry for customers as they lost the Amazon account. That does not mean they will bend over backwards but they probably should.
Apr 05, 2020, 10:04 AM
BnG...
Apr 05, 2020, 12:18 PM
Trader Rating: 1
Paper Plane Scratch Builder
I don't sell through my LHS. If I sell a large plane to someone then I use their Fed Ex account. I usually give his wife $10 for her effort. She does not need or want the money but she takes it as I pretty much demand it. They let me receive there also. The owner and his family are very good people and good businessmen; he is the kind of guy that will help people out.
Apr 05, 2020, 02:38 PM
Trader Rating: 9
Veracitarian at large
Quote:
Originally Posted by CryHavoc
Thanks for the tips guys but Paypal only saves a few dollars. On average all quotes I get from FedEx saves about $10.00 over USPS or PayPal/USPS.

Just today I received a cashiers check for an item. USPS charged the guy $7.75!!! to send a damn envelope std priority mail.

I don't know if any of you are keeping track but the Democrats killed the Coronavirus relief bill for the second time so they could introduce their 1400 page pile of crap full of poison pills that have nothing to do with the virus. One of the pills they want to slip in is that the USPS is to be forgiven of ALL DEBT to the US Goverment. That service is so mismanaged they are now pandering to politicians. I wonder how much graft that cost them.

Mike
Sounds like your friend sent a check in a flat rate envelope. That's $7.75 no matter what's inside.
Check how much UPS wants to send a document somewhere. Years ago it was over $10 and maybe it'd get across country in 5 days.
The USPS has a mandate that arguably includes mail but not freight.
They also don't get to cherry pick destinations and change rates according to zip codes the way private carriers can.
Some years back, Republicans got the bright idea to force the USPS to pre-fund employee pensions and benefits for 25 years out, all within some ridiculous time window, 5-10 years IIRC.
No business in the world can operate properly hobbled by the kind of financial burden lobbyists for Fedex and UPS arranged to have heaped upon the USPS.

About 8 years ago I was shipping hundreds of items all over the world. Nobody beat USPS for price, delivery accuracy or low rate of loss and damage. UPS destroyed and misdelivered so much that I eventually stopped using them altogether except for big, bulky items like RC airplanes. Those are the type of parcels that USPS ceded to private carriers years ago in the name of free enterprise.

If Republicans get their way and finish off the USPS for good, then you'll really see those rates skyrocket.
And if you live in the hinterlands, that check would cost $35. instead of $7.75. Bank on that.
Apr 05, 2020, 03:31 PM
Trader Rating: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAILORMAN
If Republicans get their way and finish off the USPS for good, then you'll really see those rates skyrocket.
And if you live in the hinterlands, that check would cost $35. instead of $7.75. Bank on that.
What evidence do you have to back this up? What we need to have is the free-market to dictate the prices. Actually, I think if the Republicans (mainly Trump) got their way, we may see the USPS survive. The USPS needs to be run like a business. The pension needs to go, and they hire and fire like a business does.
Apr 05, 2020, 04:39 PM
Trader Rating: 193
Go Gondos
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAILORMAN
Sounds like your friend sent a check in a flat rate envelope. That's $7.75 no matter what's inside.
Check how much UPS wants to send a document somewhere. Years ago it was over $10 and maybe it'd get across country in 5 days.
The USPS has a mandate that arguably includes mail but not freight.
They also don't get to cherry pick destinations and change rates according to zip codes the way private carriers can.
Some years back, Republicans got the bright idea to force the USPS to pre-fund employee pensions and benefits for 25 years out, all within some ridiculous time window, 5-10 years IIRC.
No business in the world can operate properly hobbled by the kind of financial burden lobbyists for Fedex and UPS arranged to have heaped upon the USPS.

About 8 years ago I was shipping hundreds of items all over the world. Nobody beat USPS for price, delivery accuracy or low rate of loss and damage. UPS destroyed and misdelivered so much that I eventually stopped using them altogether except for big, bulky items like RC airplanes. Those are the type of parcels that USPS ceded to private carriers years ago in the name of free enterprise.

Well you can be partisan and blame one side if it makes you fell better,, but the bill passed on a voice vote in the House and unanimous consent in the Senate,, so the Dems sure didn't try and fight it or put anyone on the record for vote for or against it,,

Looks to me it's just another Cluster both side cause and haven't fixed even though both have had majorities since and could have fixed it if the wanted too..
Apr 08, 2020, 08:55 AM
Trader Rating: 47
The only one who had the courage to speak out against that awful spending bill was Thomas Massie.
He is right. We don't need to bail out the welfare queen airlines either.
Apr 08, 2020, 10:44 AM
Trader Rating: 204
AMA 72859

Here's where we add insult to injury

So I was sent a package via USPS on March 17th from a seller that I have dealt with several times. It has disappeared since leaving the originating Post Office on that date. On 3/29 I filed an inquiry on the USPS website. I received a confirmation of the inquiry the following day, and nothing since. I called my local Post Office this morning to check the status. The worker said they have 60 days to investigate before they will consider it lost. It's kind of like buying a 5 year old Mercedes- it's a bargain until you have to fix it.
Apr 09, 2020, 08:10 AM
Trader Rating: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG_AZ
What evidence do you have to back this up? What we need to have is the free-market to dictate the prices. Actually, I think if the Republicans (mainly Trump) got their way, we may see the USPS survive. The USPS needs to be run like a business. The pension needs to go, and they hire and fire like a business does.
+1
Just like this country needs be run like a business. Something the career politicians before the current administrations had trouble doing.
The ill informed need to start doing research on the business side of what the Pres has done not sensationalized headlines and fake news.

Also USPS loses money on delivering Amazon packages. They agreed to pay their workers to del on Sundays and I am sure they lose money on those deliveries. I have a friend who is a mail carrier and he said he is positive USPS loses money on Sunday deliveries. From what I understand it was part of the deal that if USPS did not agree to they would not have got the Amazon contract.
BTW USPS posts rates and increases and you can see how much they raise prices. The recent price increase was a typical price increase nothing crazy. I have been shipping USPS daily for the past 20 years.

Quick Reply