Nov 19, 2021, 09:23 PM
Thread OP
Geppetto, awesome!
The gear was put on the fuselage then balsa, glass and epoxy finishing resin applied. This insured no misalignments crept into place. It was a bit fiddly but necessary. First, one side of each was glassed and edge sanded to remove loose glass cloth then the other. I'd sure like to start covering for Thanksgiving holiday time off! Maybe!
to remove ads between posts
Nov 19, 2021, 10:19 PM
Geppetto
Michael,

I noticed that you purchased the Ikon-N-West Corbin here in the classified's. You just could not pass up one more Corbin! They sure are cool looking ship's! Are there rumor's circulating that you may soon be posting a second Corbin building? Inquiring minds wish to know!

The gear looks fantastic!

Geppetto
Nov 20, 2021, 05:50 PM
Thread OP
Hi Geppetto! Thanks for the compliment! Yessir... I purchased that Ikon N'West Corben! Maybe I'll have a build thread for it but it will be a while. I love those Ikon kits and have a bunch of 'em! They are 'honest' constructors kits to build to whatever level of detail you desire! I built a GeeBee 'Y' for a long gone friend. It was a great flying model and was resplendent in its red and cream livery! I currently have a Rearwin Speedster almost done but need to make a cowl as the kit version doesn't 'flow' into a spinner... if that makes sense. I can work on a plug during the winter but can't do any polyester resin work when it's cold.

The VK Corben's gear got more epoxy mixed with microballoons. Slowly but surely...
Nov 21, 2021, 09:04 PM
Thread OP
The gear is sanded and ready for paint. The tail skid was mounted to a plate then epoxied in place. I still didn't get a picture of that but it is a nice bit of music wire with a brass shoe then painted black. The elevator pushrod was set up. The rudder pull-pull cables and tiller with link to servo were fabricated. The cable ferrules had to be let into the fuselage, too, so there was a bit of dry fitting of tail feathers to get everything aligned. I worked on some other models while waiting for epoxy to cure.
Nov 26, 2021, 03:22 PM
Thread OP
Commenced covering cautiously! Sig Koverall and Stix-It being used. Here's one method of getting straight seams. I may put 'rib tapes' on them later. The bottom has a large hatch but there is fabric forward and rearward so those areas got covered first. The green tape delineates overlap and acts as a cutting guide so after the side fabric stuck down and glue dries it is an easy thing to pull the tape upwards, slightly raising the side fabric off the bottom fabric, and start cutting. I have a dedicated knife for this as sharp blades needed to keep the loose strand 'fuzzies' at bay.
Nov 26, 2021, 04:42 PM
Geppetto
Michael,

Koverall, my preferred covering medium too! I use Nitrate dope to seal the weave and Butyrate for colors and clear. What direction are you leaning to for surface finishing on the Corben?

Geppetto
Nov 26, 2021, 06:21 PM
Thread OP
Almost finished with covering. Still have rudder, ailerons, one wing and one side of the fin and the other wing. The cockpit skins will get added then glassed once covering is finished. The rear strut anchors are music wire that will get epoxied into a brass tube. Each anchor had its end heated cherry red then hammered flat. Next, they were drilled and tapped 4-40. The head rest was covered separately. No problems with covering coming loose later! I hope to finish this soon so the next project can get completed!
Nov 26, 2021, 06:27 PM
Thread OP
Hi Geppetto! I'm going to do as you do and do the dope! I'm pretty much a dope kind of guy! 50% nitrate on everything fabric, white butyrate base coat on the fuse, fin and rudder before to final color and silver wings, stab and elevators. I saw a light blue Corben online. I might copy that but I really like the yellow and it will be easier to see.
Nov 27, 2021, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARUP
Commenced covering cautiously! Sig Koverall and Stix-It being used. Here's one method of getting straight seams. I may put 'rib tapes' on them later. The bottom has a large hatch but there is fabric forward and rearward so those areas got covered first. The green tape delineates overlap and acts as a cutting guide so after the side fabric stuck down and glue dries it is an easy thing to pull the tape upwards, slightly raising the side fabric off the bottom fabric, and start cutting. I have a dedicated knife for this as sharp blades needed to keep the loose strand 'fuzzies' at bay.
I'm going to borrow this idea if you don't mind. It's amazing how quickly Koverall can dull a blade. I end up keeping a box of single edge razors on hand and sharpen my scissors before a covering session. In re color: the yellow and black does make for a handsome airplane.
Nov 27, 2021, 11:46 AM
Thread OP
Hi Mgnostic, borrow away! That's the idea... share the knowledge for now and posterity! I plan borrowing info on your 'Spoonflower Fabrics' camofluage thread on RCScalebuilder site!

Takin' a little break! The rudder needs covering but the fuselage and tail feathers will get temporarily assembled first so that the rudder height can be adjusted. Covering tends to causing creeping dimensional change so that parts that align 'in the bones' might be off a smidge once covered.

Almost done with wings. Here's a picture showing the covering around the wire center section TE and hand hold. It is coming out all right. Fiddly stuff, though!
Nov 28, 2021, 07:44 AM
Thread OP
The 'Super Ace' has clothes! Gotta add cockpit skins (which extend fwd to end of cowl) then glass those so when painted they will look like metal. Some 50% thinned nitrate will get applied today, too!
Nov 28, 2021, 10:04 AM
CC (Certified Curmudgeon)
Nice! My days of doping are over I can't take the fumes anymore.
Nov 30, 2021, 09:31 PM
Thread OP
Hi flyerinokc! That's too bad. I love the aroma!

The cockpit skins are in place. One has glass and resin. The other side needs it then some sanding excitement. Lol Getting close to color stage!
Nov 30, 2021, 11:21 PM
CC (Certified Curmudgeon)
She looks good in her underwear!
Dec 02, 2021, 02:43 PM
Geppetto
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerinokc
Nice! My days of doping are over I can't take the fumes anymore.
Sorry to hear that flyerinokc. I'm with Arup with this process as I too love the "aroma". Alway's puts a smile on my face and blood shot veins in my eyes, at least for a couple of hours after administration. There is a reason that it's called "Dope".

My main candyman or "connection" here in California is guy that goes by the name of Randolph. He's kept this monkey on my back for over fifty years. His stuff is always the best, pure and uncut. I have to step on it with at least fifty percent solvent before use. I've been hooked the stuff most of my life, I'm sure I'll be a model junkie right to my grave too.

Good luck with the heat shrink.

Geppetto
Last edited by 1stGeppetto; Dec 02, 2021 at 10:54 PM.

Quick Reply