Mar 19, 2020, 03:24 AM
Maltese sparrow
Thread OP
Help!

Copy of balsa sheet for Copernicus?

Hi, scratchbuilders
Many years ago I got a copy of the plane called either Copernicus or TGZYS 5 from Banggood (The order details have disappeared)
The plane picture is attached below

When I opened the sealed pack to build and fly the little beast I find that I have two sheets with fuselage side and tailplane (stab to our US friends) but none with fuselage side and fin!

Its now too late to wrestle with Banggood and they no longer offer this plane

Does anyone have the sheet, or a copy of the sheet, or a scan?

I am hopeful because I am the sad type who copies all plane or boat kit parts before I build them so that I can always re-build if required

Picture attached of the required sheet - with fin, fuselage side and fuselage bottom sheet.

TIA
andrew
to remove ads between posts
Mar 19, 2020, 03:34 AM
Maltese sparrow
Thread OP
I expect to be overwhelmed with helpful replies,
but if instead I am underwhelmed I will make it up as I go along, or maybe try to print a pdf to the right size

It is very small, and intended for motor, Rudder, Elevator using actuators.
I do have a set of the DSM micro radio with actuators, so I could use that and a geared 6 or 7mm motor.
A possible alternative is motor/rudder with a bare Lemon Rx and one microservo and the smallest Lipo that works

I sit back now and anticipate the deluge of response
andrew

ps I have sanded all the wood in the sheet and sprayed on a couple of mist coats of sealer so we will see how that works
(I also have a Pup and a TiggieMoth to make with similar construction, so I would like to know what works well)
Mar 19, 2020, 07:34 AM
Closed Account
You might try Tony Ray at Minimumrc.com. I'm pretty sure that was his design , and he might be able to help you.
Mar 19, 2020, 07:38 AM
Closed Account
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-COPER...-/162970406075

Scroll down on this site. There is a plan of the kits wood sheets, you might be able to use with some computer magic.

The kit manufacture is now Dancing Wings
Last edited by sirpercy; Mar 19, 2020 at 07:43 AM.
Mar 19, 2020, 05:57 PM
Maltese sparrow
Thread OP
Sirpercy, thanks for your replies, and the useful links
In fact I obtained the illustration of the missing sheet from the last one, and possibly could, as you say, size it up and use it as a pattern
I was not aware that it was a Tony Ray design, but it certainly is a perky little plane
I’ve never seen one built - not sure why. Perhaps it’s the size, or the feeling that actuators are required
Mar 21, 2020, 09:17 PM
Maltese sparrow
Thread OP

Decision taken. Jacta est

Ok, so here is what I am doing to rectify the missing sheet
As suggested by sirpercy, I have printed the photo of the sheet full size by converting it to PDF, then using print scaling to make it fit the plane.
Drawback is that the resolution is poor, but I realise that the only critical parts are the rear turtleneck formers (as they have to allow the rear fuselage side to wrap round and butt against a top keel. Note: I have the second fuselage side as it exists in the “wrong” sheet.
The formers don’t even have to be balsa - 2mm Depron would do well and be easily sanded to shape
Thanks, Percy (Sir sounds so formal!)
Last edited by andrewhalst; Mar 21, 2020 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Added note on fuselage side
Mar 21, 2020, 09:52 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewhalst
Ok, so here is what I am doing to rectify the missing sheet
As suggested by sirpercy, I have printed the photo of the sheet full size by converting it to PDF, then using print scaling to make it fit the plane.
Drawback is that the resolution is poor, but I realise that the only critical parts are the rear turtleneck formers (as they have to allow the rear fuselage side to wrap round and butt against a top keel. Note: I have the second fuselage side as it exists in the “wrong” sheet.
The formers don’t even have to be balsa - 2mm Depron would do well and be easily sanded to shape
Thanks, Percy (Sir sounds so formal!)
Percy is fine. Glad its working out.
Steve
Mar 29, 2020, 08:46 AM
Way to much free time!
Andrew,

Reads that you have your rework figured out. Even so this assembly instruction might also help but the airplane has differences from your kit. See the page with clear image of the balsa sheets. Maybe these are close enough to what you seek? I should have this kit still new and unassembled. I do not have access to it presently. If there is value in a scan of this plane then I can provide at a later time.
Last edited by CorvetteC5; Mar 30, 2020 at 06:24 AM.
Mar 31, 2020, 02:31 AM
Maltese sparrow
Thread OP
Hi corvetteC5, and thanks for the assembly instruction sheet.
This is the same plane, and thanks, too, for your offer to scan the sheet

I have started assembly of wings and fuse, and will “Mackle” the three rear turtledeck formers. They are covered by the balsa side wrapping over them, so a sanding block will produce a fair surface to wrap the sides over

It builds in the hand, and looks like a Cobby little plane
Nov 30, 2021, 10:07 AM
Balsa Flies Better!
Hi all

I'm tangling with this airplane as well- thanks for posting the instruction sheet! That's a big help.

Not having actuators around, I'm going to use a standard PZ brick in this airplane. I'm not crazy about the external pushrods, so I'll set them up for internal use. It's a shame nobody came up with the idea of ink jet printing some markings on the wood directly.

I must admit, the kit is going together nicely- the wood selection is really pretty good and the laser cutting is accurate.

Not sure about the power system. I have plenty of PZ gearboxes, but I like the GWS prop shown in the instructions- I'm betting its less diameter than the PZ stuff and should be a better match with this airplane. Any ideas?

Sam
Dec 10, 2021, 03:50 PM
Maltese sparrow
Thread OP
Hi, Sam

Not familiar with all the PZ motor/ gearboxes. I bought a mustang motor/gear/ prop as a spare (8520 motor) and it is enormously powerful - far too much for a delicate little Copernicus.

I am planning to fit a geared 7 mm motor, which will be more than enough power. I normally tame the power with my thumb and by changing props till I like the flight pattern. I have adaptors that allow fitting virtually any prop to a 1 mm shaft and enough hairs on my head to tighten up a slightly loose fit

Like you I will be fitting a servo system, but may go just rudder and engine ( motor) as I am a dyed in the wool free flighter and don’t use much elevator apart from trimming

Andrew
Dec 10, 2021, 05:55 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Hi Andrew

I've been playing around with the Tony Ray kit gearboxes a bit. I don't think it's a good match for this airframe which I think will benefit from a direct drive setup. The airplane is not a floater, so I don't think a free flight type setup will be all that wonderful given that the airplane is quite short coupled. Many years ago, I built a Mayfly and powered with it with nicads and a Firefly motor- direct drive. I had some nice, relatively low level flights with that airplane which is roughly similar in size to the Copernicus, but has a much longer tail moment.

My airplane is waiting for some props from Minimum RC that hopefully will work direct drive.

Note- I fly both FF and RC so I'm not a purist. But for this airplane, I'm hoping for something with a bit of zip and maneuverability, so I may be looking for a bit more power than you.

On a side note- I've got one of the Tony Ray gearbox/motors mounted in a BMJR Ranger 21 which was rather on the portly side- 52 grams rubber powered. I'm trying supercapacitors in the airplane along with this gear drive- will see if the airplane can actually commit aviation (an old Dereck Woodward term- I miss him.) with this setup- bench tests appear promising.

Do you have a good source for props in the 65-150 mm diameter range with hubs that can handle 1 mm mounting? I'm toying with some rubber powered props-drop down a bit in diameter, but the added pitch should help with the lower rpm of the supercap setup.

Sam
Dec 18, 2021, 04:51 PM
If you still need a scan of the parts, I have a complete kit sitting here and a scanner that can do 11x17. Actually, I had already scanned them when I built mine so here you go.
Last edited by Dudley; Dec 20, 2021 at 01:02 PM.
Jan 19, 2022, 05:58 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
I've flown the airplane- got in a couple of flights so far.

First flight was with an 8520 motor used direct drive and I think a 78 mm prop. That was a rocket- but was also pushing the battery as it cut out when I'd go to full bore quickly. It was a lot of fun, I thought the airplane was a trifle overpowered even if it couldn't quite climb vertically out of sight. But the airplane would snap roll quickly, loops were fine- essentially a nice three channel aerobat although you could also throttle back and fly low and slow- the airplane has a nice speed range. It's a good little airplane- I'm liking it.

I decided to try a more modestly powered setup- went with a 720 motor and a cut down (I reduced the blade area) 75 mm prop. I didn't cut it back enough- the motor got very hot and is now shot- at least I think it is. They're cheap enough- I tossed it although that was the only 7 mm motor I had that turned counterclockwise. I have a set of 3 65 mm props from Micron Wings that I think will match another motor- a pox on AliExpress which sold me props that were too big.

But the 7 mm motor really needed the battery shoved forward outside of its mounting tray, so I decided to go back to an 8520 motor and a slightly smaller prop. I really do need a different battery that can go further forward- something closer to square would be good rather than skinny rectangular. As an FYI- I think my ready to rock weight is 34 grams.

Do be prepared for sensitive controls- I'm adding expo to both rudder and elevator.

Sam
Last edited by Megowcoupe; Jan 20, 2022 at 11:12 AM.

Quick Reply