Apr 05, 2005, 08:11 PM
Why aren't you out flyin?

Design guidelines

Hi Guys, I decided to make up a quick design parameter chart for electric 3D aircraft for my own use and thought it would of benefit to others since I haven't seen anything like it for 3D. I'm thinking we need one for electric parkflyers as well, and as soon as this one is done, parkflyers are next. I'm posting what I have so far, and I'm posting it in the hopes of getting some others to help. I would like to get some input from someone other than myself. Everyone has different ideas about these things, and my ideas are not always the best. So here is what I have so far, in pdf and dwg. The dwg should be compatible with turbocad and others, but it's produced in autocad so let me know if you have trouble with it. There is obviously quite a bit of work left to do, and I haven't even started on the control surfaces yet. Thanks
-Rick
Last edited by colbyweb; Apr 08, 2005 at 08:10 PM. Reason: updated zipfile
to remove ads between posts
Apr 05, 2005, 10:46 PM
Crash Master
Great idea, Rick!

I hope the moderators will allow us to keep this here. I feel it's the kind of thing that can help us all as a reference. I learned a lot back when I started and all the stuff was in the Parkflyers forum. There was no Foamies, Beginners, Wings, 3D etc.. It was all in one place, and it was a big, diverse community. I like some organization, but too much makes it harder to find stuff.

Maybe once we get this all noodled out, we can get Merwin to host the guides on FlyDPF.com...

I'll clean up my Park/Slowflyer notes and post the drawings in a little bit.

Here ya go!
Last edited by Gene Bond; Mar 19, 2008 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Add files
Apr 06, 2005, 04:49 AM
Crash Master
Well, there you go!

See ya!
Apr 06, 2005, 08:44 AM
Thanks Gene. Geez, you must be up awfully early in the morning! Your post is timestamped 4:49am. Of course if you're in the eastern time zone that would be 5:49am your time and I guess that isn't all that early.
Your drawing looks pretty good, thanks for sharing. I'm hoping we can get some input and make both of our drawings better. One thing on yours that puzzles me.... on the rudder; you have "100% of V-Stab", surely that's a mistake?
Mine needs more power recommendations, along with wing loadings and control surface sizes. I plan to work on it some today, but I'm holding off on it hoping someone else will have some suggestions. I really thought most peope would be interested in this, but so far no other respondants
Maybe it's too soon...
-Rick
Apr 06, 2005, 05:26 PM
Crash Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by colbyweb
Thanks Gene. Geez, you must be up awfully early in the morning! Your post is timestamped 4:49am. Of course if you're in the eastern time zone that would be 5:49am your time and I guess that isn't all that early.
Nope, I'm on EST... We don't change. So, It was in bed at 12:30, out at 4:30... Sleep fast!
Quote:
Your drawing looks pretty good, thanks for sharing. I'm hoping we can get some input and make both of our drawings better. One thing on yours that puzzles me.... on the rudder; you have "100% of V-Stab", surely that's a mistake?
Yup, the rudder = the stab... Just like the Elevator is the same as the stab (or so)... Maybe it's confusing, but it seemed to make sense at the time
Quote:
Mine needs more power recommendations, along with wing loadings and control surface sizes. I plan to work on it some today, but I'm holding off on it hoping someone else will have some suggestions. I really thought most peope would be interested in this, but so far no other respondants
Maybe it's too soon...
-Rick
Or maybe it got moved to the WRONG forum for interested people to participate?
Apr 06, 2005, 06:30 PM
Apr 06, 2005, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Bond
Nope, I'm on EST... We don't change. So, It was in bed at 12:30, out at 4:30... Sleep fast!
Heh, I'm in CST
Quote:
Yup, the rudder = the stab... Just like the Elevator is the same as the stab (or so)... Maybe it's confusing, but it seemed to make sense at the time
Ok, maybe I'm being too technical here, but there are two "stabs" the vertical stabilizer and the horizontal stabilizor. The rudder is only the moveable part of the vertical stab. So saying the rudder is 100% of the stab means that there is a full flying rudder This is why I was confused.

Quote:
Or maybe it got moved to the WRONG forum for interested people to participate?
Yeah, your right Oh well, we can always invite people from other forums!
-Rick
Apr 07, 2005, 08:03 AM
Crash Master
Sorry Rick. I was trying to define each part independantly...

Total vertical is 15-20% (or 1/2 the horizontal)
Total Horizontal is 20-30%... I'll look at how I marked it and see if I can clear it up.

Looks like we are all alone out here
Apr 07, 2005, 08:43 AM
Looks like we are all alone out here

Yeah, we're not going to far in this forum. I was thinking about posting something similar in the DPF thread, maybe there it would get some attention
-Rick
Apr 07, 2005, 11:06 PM
Crash Master
I just read the forum descriptions, and this one is supposed to be about tools and techniques... Shouldn't this be in Modeling Science, since it's about design parameters (physics?)... Of course only because it was not allowed in the Foamie forum as you intended it

BTW, I agree, it would be a good fit in the DPF thread. But, as we all know, things can get buried in there. Ideally, Merwin will archive and index all the good files from the forum onto flyDPF.com ...
Apr 08, 2005, 12:09 AM
I just wish it could have stayed in the foamies section. Maybe I should have named the thread "How to design a foamy"
It will be a few days before I have time to concentrate on it, but I think I'll bring it up in the dpf thread. Merwin would likely be willing to post it in flydpf site, but that would defeat the purpose of a collaborative effort. So.... I'm not sure, I'm going to think about it a while
-Rick
Apr 08, 2005, 08:54 AM
Crash Master
No, what I meant, was once it's complete, he could host the 'final version'.

You might try the 'report post' to appeal the decision for the move in the first place... (an on-going debate)
Apr 08, 2005, 11:05 AM
Quote:
No, what I meant, was once it's complete, he could host the 'final version'.

You might try the 'report post' to appeal the decision for the move in the first place... (an on-going debate)
I can't seem to find the "report post" option anywhere...
-Rick
Apr 08, 2005, 11:50 AM
I would think design guidelines would encourage others to have a stab at designing their own. My meager scratch designs have used the eyeball method with decent results. Also copied from existing plans to get basic setups correct. A set of guidelines from experience would be most welcome. Watching/waiting.
Apr 08, 2005, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by colbyweb
Maybe I should have named the thread "How to design a foamy"
-Rick
That's actually an excellant idea. There were three possible places for it with the current RCG taxonomy. Unfortunately the moderators moved to to the place where it has the least affinity. I would love to see it as a sticky in the foamy section since it has lasting value to those partiicpants.

Felix

Quick Reply