SEFF Update - 3/17/2020

The team from SEFF checks in on the current status of the show...

Splash

From SEFF

Want to update everyone on SEFF 2020 and our plans. I spoke with Mac Hodges this morning and he has closed the field for the next 2 weeks. So Pop Curtis and a Jet fly-in event have been canceled.

At the present time, we are moving forward with SEFF 2020 as scheduled. We have plenty of time to adjust as necessary. Mac and I will speak later next week as we see how things are progressing.

I have been in touch with Flex Innovations they are still planning on attending. Horizon Hobby has canceled all shows but will be sending prizes for the raffle. I have heard from a couple of vendors, that they still plan on attending.

No one that has preregistered has requested a refund - which is absolutely FANTASTIC! Understand that in the event we have to cancel this event - FULL refunds will happen.

For now, relax and know that a week of fun is still coming.

Go make it a GREAT DAY!

Bob Barnard

Last edited by Jim T. Graham; Mar 17, 2020 at 10:44 AM..
Mar 21, 2020, 12:11 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
Mac Hodges is a NATIONAL TREASURE, I hope y'all give him plenty of space and/or postpone to another date.

I realize nobody wants to commit to cancelling this early, but I don't see how SEFF can move forward at this time. Perhaps y'all might commit to rescheduling, or redirecting efforts to SEFF 2021.
Mar 21, 2020, 09:44 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor Trails
Mac Hodges is a NATIONAL TREASURE, I hope y'all give him plenty of space and/or postpone to another date.

I realize nobody wants to commit to cancelling this early, but I don't see how SEFF can move forward at this time. Perhaps y'all might commit to rescheduling, or redirecting efforts to SEFF 2021.
I completely agree. My group has decided the threat will be just too much to attend. There will other fly-ins to enjoy after all this is over.

J
Latest blog entry: FunAero 1/5th scale SE-5a
Mar 21, 2020, 11:50 AM
Aircraft Tech
It's still 6 weeks away ! Things could improve by then !
Mar 21, 2020, 12:12 PM
Whistle in the dark much?

L.
Mar 21, 2020, 07:30 PM
If it flies, I crash it!
Sorry to be a wet rag, but they say this won't be over any time soon.

We'll see!
Mar 21, 2020, 11:33 PM
At this point we should probably shift our planning to HHAEFI, NEAT Fair and Null in the Fall. Hopefully the later events can go forward once we're out of this.
Last edited by Bob Snedegar; Mar 21, 2020 at 11:40 PM.
Mar 22, 2020, 08:44 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlazarus6660
Sorry to be a wet rag, but they say this won't be over any time soon.
You are no wet rag... it is just about being realistic, and making a responsible decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Snedegar
At this point we should probably shift our planning to HHAEFI, NEAT Fair and Null in the Fall. Hopefully the later events can go forward once we're out of this.
Amen!
Mar 22, 2020, 08:40 PM
IDIDNTFEELATHING

event status

I would argue that going to a Walmart visited by thousands of people per day is ten times more infectious than visiting SEFF for the week. And I would guess that 90% do this at least once per week. Having said that I also RV camp solo so I must admit that I am a unique situation. I will be attending with Mac's blessing of course or unless the situation changes and I cannot due to the situation changing more radically than I believe it will or a shutdown of travel is issued. I believe in personal freedom in most situations but I understand completely the decision not to attend the event or for Mac or the staff to postpone or cancel. All that I know to be a fact is that I hope our entire SEFF family are healthy and safe.

Jason
Mar 23, 2020, 12:21 AM
Main issue would be food!

1 - Traveling several hundred miles to event with all restaurants along the way closed.
2 - Getting food at event itself with usual on-site concessions likely also closed.

Also, if in spite of all precautions one were to develop symptoms of the illness while attending the event, having to go into the necessary 14-day quarantine far from home would present great difficulty for most.
Last edited by Bob Snedegar; Mar 23, 2020 at 12:29 AM.
Mar 23, 2020, 11:14 AM
We shall serve the Lord
You make some very valid points Bob. Add to those the reality that traveling to and from, and the event itself, could possibly add exposure that participants would then unknowingly bring back home with them. I'm working very hard every day not to expose My 92 year old mother and my 55+ year old wife with diabetes to any unnecessary risks. They are both in the highest risk categories of dying from the virus. I'm pretty sure the average age of SEFF participants is somewhere north of 50, so a serious exposure at SEFF poses the possibility of wiping out some of the flyers themselves.

I am not cancelling my reservations or registration at this time and I'm hoping for the best, but I fully understand the caution exercised by those that choose to cancel. I'm going to miss seeing John and Woody and Larry and all the gang, but I understand.

McD
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Mar 23, 2020, 12:43 PM
D1 AVP AMA Foundation Board

Facts

3/1: 89
3/2: 105
3/3: 125
3/4: 159
3/5: 227
3/6: 331
3/7: 444
3/8: 564
3/9: 728
3/10: 1,000
3/11: 1,267
3/12: 1,645
3/13: 2,204
3/14: 2,826
3/15: 3,505
3/16: 4,466
3/17: 6,135
3/18: 8,760
3/19: 13,229
3/20: 18,763
3/21: 25,740
Now (3/22): 32,502 (Countrywide results)

GA results as of yesterday: The Georgia Department of Public Health confirmed a total of at least 620 cases across the state., with 25 deaths.

The virus has already been detected/confirmed in Sumpter County.

We are currently on track to eclipse Italy's results as compared to where they were at with testing and/or recognition of the problem. The next two weeks is going to be brutal as more (heck, any) testing coming online.

While younger folks may be able to battle the virus easier, they can also spread it undetected. 50 and above are the hardest hit, even more so with co-morbidity issues like COPD, Asthma, Emphysema, Diabetes, and compromised immune systems.

What's the average age of folks in this hobby?

I want this issue to pass as quickly as possible, I want to fly and go to as many events as I can, but my god, is it worth the risk at this point?
Mar 23, 2020, 01:59 PM
3d and EDF, some scale
I really want to attend but I'm a bit afraid with a compromised immune system
Mar 23, 2020, 02:42 PM
30 yrs. Of Aircraft flying!
I think all RC events should be cancelled for 2020. its sad but we need stop spreading this virus.
Mar 23, 2020, 02:54 PM
D1 AVP AMA Foundation Board
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoweredrc
I think all RC events should be cancelled for 2020. its sad but we need stop spreading this virus.
At a minimum I would think June/July would be prudent. Hopefully there's a better handle on this, and the second wave that might come after initial cases are resolved will be as minimal.

For now it's just boring solo flights at the field. It feels odd turning into the road and seeing no cars there. Total bummer.

Quick Reply