Mar 16, 2020, 09:09 PM
Thread OP

Flying, as usual?

I'm planning to come out to the field,, probably Thursday to fly. I'm sure that there will be fewer than 25 out there. And we can all separate ourselves by six feet easily. See you at the field.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 19, 2020, 11:21 PM
Thread OP
It was very nice at the field today. A bit of breeze from the south. Must have been a dozen of us taking advantage of a great "bonus day". Everyone kept their safe distance and just one incident of wing separation. Tomorrow should be nice too.
Mar 21, 2020, 10:39 AM
Denny the "Finger"
Yes, I'm sure many of us would like to go out and fly. Should we all come out and join you? What could possibly go wrong?
Mar 21, 2020, 05:18 PM
Thread OP
As long as you ALL don't come out at once. (I'd leave anytime it was that crowded).

This could be considered an "essential personal need". And, checking the field-cam, there are many of us with the need,, the need for speed.

We've all been careful to keep our personal distance and are enjoying it very much.
Mar 21, 2020, 06:55 PM
Denny the "Finger"
Actually, some of us have had different experiences at the field, such as ignorant people walking up and getting in our face(s). Not just me. People in general don't have very good judgement.

This doesn't seem to be the right time to suggest that gathering is justified because flying conditions are good.
Mar 21, 2020, 08:51 PM
Thread OP
I guess, like on the sidewalk in the neighborhood, the park and other public spots,, common sense should prevail. At the field, as around our neighborhood, if someone comes up close to talk, I turn around and walk away. I've done this around home and at the field yesterday.

Bottom line; this is a tough time. While the flying field is no more congested than your backyard, sidewalk, local park, and you can conduct your activities without close contact we should remember that we have a tremendous resource for getting out safely and enjoying our beloved hobby and a MUCH NEEDED escape from the headlines.

I check the field camera, if the benches are 1/3 full, I feel safe flying. But this is a good exchange. Let's keep talking and thinking about field attendance and safety.
Mar 21, 2020, 09:31 PM
Denny the "Finger"
I thought the same as you at first, until a couple of close encounters that I could not just walk away from. You can choose to watch less news.
Mar 22, 2020, 08:28 PM
Thread OP
I didn't get out to fly today. It looked little the perfect day. When I checked the field camera about 1:30, it was busy. Looked like people were keeping their distance and enjoying what might be the last great flying opportunity for a week or two.

Just a reminder; when a group of you want to crowd around to see someone's new plane, back off and come over when no one else is around. And, like I mentioned before, if someone forgets their manors to want to talk up close,, just turn around and walk away. No bad feelings, no big deal. - This is what we all do around the block here at home and down at the park.
May 10, 2020, 09:31 AM
I want to fly everything!
I'm going out to the field today if it's OK with you Den. If I see you I'll be sure to run the other way. Jeez, what a buzz kill.
May 10, 2020, 09:37 AM
Denny the "Finger"
huh?
May 11, 2020, 05:03 PM
So many planes, So little time
I saw the Fanta on the field cam! way to go Lance
May 12, 2020, 02:56 PM
Could you see Stanley's new wheels and tires? He looks so good his name should be Stan.

I kind of like "the Fanta" too. I should keep a six pack of orange pop in the car to go with the 8 track tapes.

Stan Fanta
May 14, 2020, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Nordby
Could you see Stanley's new wheels and tires? He looks so good his name should be Stan.

I kind of like "the Fanta" too. I should keep a six pack of orange pop in the car to go with the 8 track tapes.

Stan Fanta
What are these "8 track tapes" that you speak of? Is this something I use to tape my wings on?
May 14, 2020, 02:09 PM
I think I've heard of people using the tape for control surface hinges.

Quick Reply