Mar 14, 2020, 09:22 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

Legendary "Fatty" P-40

Here begins my "Fatty" P-40 build.

https://scale-parkflyer.de/epages/39...roducts/509103

It will probably be a slow process just because of a several other things going on with me right now. So here it is, "in the raw".
to remove ads between posts
Mar 14, 2020, 12:30 PM
Thread OP
I suppose I could also just self-quarantine and build models. I just ordered some 3.7 gm micro servos for "Fatty". I've used them on the EzFly with great success.
I also just received plans for the schooner "Irene" and the sloop "Emma". Building the little rigging blocks looks to take about 45 min each -
RC Sailboat Build Detail - DIY Blocks (9 min 53 sec)
. Maybe those techniques could be used other places too.

Stay well everyone.
Mar 15, 2020, 08:53 AM
Jer. 29:11
That's a cute model! Looking forward to seeing your build.
Mar 15, 2020, 09:42 PM
Thread OP
I'm going to leave the wings for later 'till I get the rest of my electronics so when I attach the aileron servo control arms I can make they are centered.

For fuselage part nomenclature, I'll call the transverse members "ribs" and the longitudinal members "longerons".

So it seems the place to start the fuselage is to slide the ribs into the longeron R1. Continuing on I'll attach the longerons R3r & R3l.

Cheers,
Jim
Mar 17, 2020, 12:30 PM
Thread OP
Here is the skeleton including the R2 & R3 longerons.

In the closeup you can see how some of the ribs will need some sanding to match the angle of the longerons. I'll try to use a sanding block which spans both ribs so they can both be sanded together. That should ensure that angle matches the longerons.

I also used hot glue to fasten all together. I may epoxy some gussets behind the firewall just to be sure.

Cheers,
Jim
Mar 18, 2020, 03:22 AM
Restricted User
Welcome to the squad.

Here's the Legendary FAT FIGHTERS playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...f-4YMRGwkZWG77

All kits from www.scale-parkflyer.de, like yours.
Actually a few are already available, others to follow.

Have fun!
Stephan
(P51D)
Mar 22, 2020, 09:57 AM
Thread OP
Here he is without his skin. Tail plane temporarily attached. Trying to mock up where the electronics go. At this point weight is 360 gm minus 750 kv motor. I'm thinking about a smaller battery. This one is 3s 1300 mah . Currently looks like the battery will be my pilot. I put the aileron linkages on top of the wing to protect from belly landing.
Mar 24, 2020, 05:14 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
It’s a Kit !!!
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Mar 25, 2020, 09:03 PM
Thread OP
gpw, yes it is a kit.

Here is the motor mounted in a box which is cut into the 1st rib and epoxied to both the 1st and 2nd rib. And that huge 12" prop on the Turnigy 750kv.

Weight so far is 500 gm With the battery sitting in the cockpit the CG is just about right. 55-60 mm from the wing LE.
Today, 08:53 AM
Thread OP
Skinning in progress. I started using pins to hold the panels but painters tape is way better. I'm using 5 min epoxy for this. I first make a paper pattern for each piece. Lots of gaps to be filled in . I wish my brother-in-law were here to do that part. He did auto body repair and could get it really smooth.

Quick Reply