DJI FPV on Fixed Wing RC Airplane

Here's a pleasant video showing you how nice it is to fly the DJI HD FPV system on a fixed wing airplane.

Splash

What It's Like to Fly DJI HD FPV Fixed Wing

Here's a pleasant video showing you how nice it is to fly the DJI HD FPV system on a fixed wing airplane. The video was posted by Kevin Garland. He's running the DJI FPV system on his stock ReadyMadeRC Strix Stratosurfer.

He's got a CUBE autopilot system on board and the plane is flying on a 4S 10,500mAH lipo battery, which should fly for a very long time. The footage looks smooth and that plane is an awesome platform for FPV. You can see a little chasing going on in the video too. Enjoy!

Mar 13, 2020, 08:45 PM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
I will always love flying quads FPV but there is a whole different dynamic of flying a relaxing plane FPV. Just to relax and fly.
Mar 13, 2020, 10:26 PM
Team Futaba / Team RMRC
Thanks for sharing Jason. So far I am very impressed with the DJI FPV setup. My goal is to get this setup on the Motion RC Airliner!
Mar 15, 2020, 03:14 AM
aka Nigel Uno
DJI HD FPV on a FunJet 2 Ultra

FunJet 2 Ultra - DJI HD FPV - Clouds (3 min 57 sec)

Enjoy

/Luca
Mar 16, 2020, 06:48 PM
Honorable Deplorable
The only down side is the range with the digital signal. Was it something like 4 miles with the 1200mw setting? Getting much much further on 5.8ghz

Would be fun to play with my my behemoth though.....
Mar 16, 2020, 08:26 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Quote:
Originally Posted by woogie_man
The only down side is the range with the digital signal. Was it something like 4 miles with the 1200mw setting?
4 miles on 700 mW also. Speed of light is a bummer.
Mar 17, 2020, 12:57 AM
Team Futaba / Team RMRC
Must have good eyes to see 4 miles away
Mar 17, 2020, 01:16 PM
Honorable Deplorable
Yup really good eyes, espically with binoculars. Lol
Mar 18, 2020, 05:15 PM
gtrick90...why are you doing that. This is why our hobby is being regulated into oblivion.
Mar 18, 2020, 05:21 PM

Dji fpv

How far can you go on your plane and does it do long distance?
Mar 18, 2020, 05:59 PM
Honorable Deplorable
He is in another country...who cares what he does in his country. Maybe he had the proper permission to fly as he did. You dont know the details so why try and ostracize a person for things you dont know the details of?

And that isnt the reason why either....but peoe sont seem to listen anyway
Apr 16, 2020, 12:19 PM
Not being an FPV guy how does this work exactly? I fly with Jeti on giant scale warbirds, turbines, Foamies, etc... Do you have to use the DJI radio or can you use your own? How do you connect up your servos etc... like you would on a traditional fixed wing if you are using the DJI radio etc... looks like a lot of fun I'm in.
May 03, 2020, 10:02 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhodi11
Not being an FPV guy how does this work exactly? I fly with Jeti on giant scale warbirds, turbines, Foamies, etc... Do you have to use the DJI radio or can you use your own? How do you connect up your servos etc... like you would on a traditional fixed wing if you are using the DJI radio etc... looks like a lot of fun I'm in.
You do not have to use the DJI controller. You can use your own radio, and just use the DJI system as a stand-alone video system.

If you want to use the controller, the DJI system is designed to interface directly with a flight controller (think mini quads here). But you should be able to use one of the wing flight controllers that has servo outputs to control it.
May 03, 2020, 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbostang
You do not have to use the DJI controller. You can use your own radio, and just use the DJI system as a stand-alone video system.

If you want to use the controller, the DJI system is designed to interface directly with a flight controller (think mini quads here). But you should be able to use one of the wing flight controllers that has servo outputs to control it.
Cool thanks that had not occurred to me. New to this whole FPV thing.
May 03, 2020, 10:42 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
No problem! Just make sure if you do not connect to a flight controller (that the DJI system recognizes), you need to disable the auto-temp control. Otherwise, it won't give you full power. It does this to prevent overheating while the quad/plane is sitting on the ground. It only "unlocks" full power if it recognizes the attached flight controller has been armed. Or if the temp control setting is disabled. This has been a big "gotcha" for a number of folks when they wonder why the DJI system is giving them horrible range.

Quick Reply