This thread is privately moderated by aeajr, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 13, 2017, 06:42 AM
Suspended Account
love that video in Russia? Is it true flying as much as you can is the only way to get really good fast?
to remove ads between posts
Mar 13, 2017, 09:51 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
Glad you found the discussion useful.
Mar 15, 2017, 08:54 AM
Hi. Very useful information! Thanks!
Mar 15, 2017, 11:39 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
The following routine is one that I teach and encourage my students to practice in order to gain confidence and competence. And I will test them on this.
  • preflight safety check
  • range check
  • safe and proper take off
  • fly a large circle around the field at least double tree height upwind from our position
  • Same circle in the oppoosite direction - staying upwind of our position
  • figure 8 over the center of the field upwind of our position
  • Demonstrate and recover from a stall
  • Power off glide for a reasonable time for this particular model, usually 30 seconds, staying upwind of our position
  • proper set-up for a landing into the wind
  • Land safely and in control in an appropriate location

Remember, the key to success for new pilots is not the number of tricks they can perform on their first flight. It is the ability to take off safely, fly with confidence and land safely so they can fly again. I recommend they perform the above routine 10 times safely before they even consider any kind of tricks.

Stunting is usually when they get in trouble and crash the plane. Then they blame the plane or the radio. Only after they show competence at the above do I even talk about loops, tail slides or anything else.

We fly on a government owned field. By rule the County considers them Novice and they can't fly alone until they are tested and passed by an examiner. Above is the test that we use, so I am teaching to the test. I tell them this is what they have to do to be considered a senior pilot on this field so they can fly unsupervised. And I demonstarate what I want to see.

I have had people pass the test on the first day and some who could not do it after a whole season.
Last edited by aeajr; Mar 15, 2017 at 03:30 PM.
Mar 15, 2017, 02:39 PM
quote... "Is it true flying as much as you can is the only way to get really good fast?"

The path to skill is paved ONLY with practice. It -may- not get you there 'fast' but it's still the ONLY way to get there. Meaning you can't take a pill, read a book, or listen to subliminal tapes to gain skill.
Apr 25, 2017, 10:58 PM
I learned the dumb way: be careful while full throttle inverted flying close to the ground
Apr 27, 2017, 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2Crash
I learned the dumb way: be careful while full throttle inverted flying close to the ground
That's NOT a purely beginner mistake!! A local guy, Very Good pilot, many years experience on many kinds of planes, bought a used RxR from LHS. You know, the ones hanging in the ceiling. It was a foamie pattern profile about 36" or so. By coincidence I happened to be at LHS when he bought it and was looking forward to seeing him fly it. By coincidence I happened to be at the field the first time he brought it. By coincidence, that day a Pro guy happened to be there practicing. And by Pro I mean factory sponsored 30 years experience 24/7 'text-while-flying' kinda pilot. He shall remain nameless here.

For whatever reason, New Plane Guy asked Pro guy to do the first flight for him. Sure! he says. He's always very helpful not an elite aristocrat type. So he puts it up and immediately ripped into it with all the advanced world champion moves he knows. The plane is excellent. Perfect. So he takes it down for a low slow pass down the center of the PAVED runway, -inverted-, about waist high. Perfect. At least until, right in front of us , he pulled the elevator back. Faceplant. Only a yard or two of debris field because it was going very slow and hit straight on no angle. Surprisingly little damage, just ripped off he motor mount. Not immediately, but later I asked him what happened. He says, "I forgot." The side view of a pattern profile is very symmetrical. There was nothing distinctive about upright or inverted, and being a brand new plane to -him- he simply didn't see the difference between the orientations.
Apr 28, 2017, 12:43 PM
You can't take the sky from me
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarchuk
quote... "Is it true flying as much as you can is the only way to get really good fast?"

The path to skill is paved ONLY with practice. It -may- not get you there 'fast' but it's still the ONLY way to get there. Meaning you can't take a pill, read a book, or listen to subliminal tapes to gain skill.
The key to learning quickly is don't try to reinvent the wheel. There is a hundred years of accumulated knowledge and trial and error. Learn the basics first then practice. As you progress keep reading to ensure you are practicing correctly.