Jan 21, 2021, 11:19 AM
I'm Kind of a Big Deal
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_75au
This,

The only person that can realy motivate is the one staring back at you in the mirror
Mostly true, but watching David Goggins helps.

-------------------

I'm looking at getting a stationary bike, but I'm not dropping $2500 for a Peloton and the $40 a month for a membership. Something like this maybe:

DIY Peloton Bike Hack | I SAVED $2500 | Watch before buying a Peloton! (18 min 20 sec)

Also I'm not into the spin class thing. There are some really cool POV videos you can watch when riding. This might work:

30 minute Fat Burning Indoor Cycling Workout Alps South Tyrol Lake Tour Garmin 4K Video (31 min 0 sec)
Jan 21, 2021, 03:37 PM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarpon Shawn
Mostly true, but watching David Goggins helps.

-------------------

I'm looking at getting a stationary bike, but I'm not dropping $2500 for a Peloton and the $40 a month for a membership. Something like this maybe:

Also I'm not into the spin class thing. There are some really cool POV videos you can watch when riding. This might work:
Ive been seriously looking as well, will end up with a smart bike trainer, for those times I get home later than practical for a run. plus its more compact than a treadmill.

Real, the best thing about the Low HR running is the lack of injury, every previous stint of running I ended up with painful shins, Its mainly a throttle on training too hard, there are times when I do ditch the tech and just run, which is a great feeling.
Jan 21, 2021, 04:59 PM
I'm kind of a 2/3rds of the year guy... laying off the bike riding Nov - Feb because of weather. During those four months the good days are given to outdoor stuff but most of the days are poor and for me it is winter instead of spring cleaning. Chores thus become more of my activity regime.
Jan 22, 2021, 06:22 PM
Been trying to watch my calories...doing ok but weight still slowly ramping up.
Decided to get me an elliptical machine, got it too...nice one.
Finished assembly today, jumped on and took it for a short test ride...emphasis here on "short".
After about three minutes of easy gliding I was huffing and puffing and just about down
for the count...I swear I saw purple butterflies and a unicorn out my window!
Dang, inactive since February and a few weeks away from my 69th birthday I've really gotten
in bad shape.
So...starting today, baby steps...slow and easy.
I'm thinking 4-5 or so rides a day until I feel heart beat increase and slightly winded, work up from there.
I definitely don't want a heart attack.
Hopefully in a few weeks my energy will be back enough to start doing more than interneting, napping and
watching tv.
Cheers, All...
Richard
Jan 22, 2021, 08:12 PM
The last two years when I've resumed riding after off for four months, three laps of my normal ten have me winded but the endurance has so far come back very quickly and after about three days... the normal ten laps around the block are no problem.
Jan 22, 2021, 09:04 PM
Any weightlifters here?
Jan 22, 2021, 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybird
Any weightlifters here?
Ha! Yeah...
Every time I stand up...
Jan 23, 2021, 04:48 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Any weightlifters here?
More than welcome to share your journey,
Jan 23, 2021, 05:34 AM
Quote:
Hey Nick. I try to run or walk 3-5 miles everyday. I bike when it is warm, 20 miles to a park and back. I used to run a lot more, but hip pain put an end to that. I did somewhere around 50 half marathons. I never could get motivated to do a full. I am a terrible swimmer.

We have a 600 sq ft. gym in the house and have 15 different machines, power rack, 3 sets of dumbells, and about 1000 lbs of rubber coated weight plates. We also have a Lifefitness Lifecycle, treadmill, elliptical and a functional trainer. My wife and I have done this type of stuff since we were very young.

Still do all the above. Running in the winter pretty much sucks.
Still do this. Regrets of working out would be Tae kwon do. Too many kicks with predominately right leg has me fighting hip pain all the time. No more squats, deadlifts, and running is getting cut back more and more. On the bright side, new house we are planning will have a 1000 sq ft. gym which means more equipment.
Jan 23, 2021, 05:55 AM
Thread OP
My wife sold our very basic weight set from lack of use

I do plan to maybe get some weights again but have a potential move in play, any new house we get will have a dedicated fitness space, current house doesn't .

Im not looking to body-build, just a bit of variation in workouts.
Jan 23, 2021, 06:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_75au
My wife sold our very basic weight set from lack of use

I do plan to maybe get some weights again but have a potential move in play, any new house we get will have a dedicated fitness space, current house doesn't .

Im not looking to body-build, just a bit of variation in workouts.
We paid a ridiculous amount of money to move all this equipment from Florida to Ohio.
Jan 24, 2021, 05:54 AM
Thread OP
One of my months goals ticked off.

I ran a half marathon distance today, first time I've ran that distance, 2 hours 37 minutes, not at all fast, just happy with myself for pushing through.

Also put together the bike trainer, needed a new cassette, just waiting for the speed sensor now so I can use strava.

Quick Reply