This thread is privately moderated by skeeter honey, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 07, 2020, 09:33 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Sky Angel A-6 Intruder PNP-ish EDF jet

Nothing like RC aviation to remind us just how much of a novice we really are. After becoming comfortable with a number of cheap, beginner friendly planes, I started to build some kits. Although my success with them has been limited, it usually is because I haven't mastered tuning, or I miss the mark in planning the build in a weight/CG kind of way.

But after a string of successes, and many threads' and videos' worth of influence, I decided to see what the EDF jet thing was all about. Sure, I'm a beginner, but it isn't THAT hard, is it?

So I scoured the internet for a cheap EDF jet kit to try out, hitting the usual suspects for such things. I almost got the Value Hobby F-4 Phantom II kit, but realized I needed a more conventional wing style for my first jet. I'm not that great at programming (mixing, starting off right on rates, trim), which steered me to the Sky Angel A-6 intruder. A few clicks and a few bucks to Porcupine RC, and I was ready to dip my toes in the water.

While I waited out the dozen or so days for it to arrive from the land of COVID-19, I read everything I could about it. It didn't take long to realize that maybe I'd bitten off a bit too much for my first EDF plane. There are few videos out there, and most are crashes. Of the threads out there, I read a lot of complaints, particularly as it related to the pre-installed fan. To remedy this, I ordered an FMS 50mm EDF from Banggood along with a 1000 mAh 35c battery.

Once everything arrived, I put the plane together, rather impressed at the fit and durability of this particular foam. The control horns, rods, and clevises (clevi?) are particularly nice. I then swapped out the EDF, exchanged the included Hornet 30A ESC with a Hornet 40A ESC, and dropped in a LemonRx Stab Plus receiver.

I then programmed some low rates: 65/35, assigned switches, and set the gain to the recommended test settings at the 10 o'clock position. The ground check were good, and the fan assuaged any concerns I had about power available. That thing is like a gas leaf blower! everything seemed great, so now I just had to wait for some nice daytime weather.

The first launch was a real failure. I smashed in the port scoop, and broke the fuse beneath the canopy. The plane just didn't want to do anything but point down upon launch. So I manually adjusted up the elevator trim, glued and shaped with a wet napkin and an iron, and waited for another break in the weather.

The second day was better. THe first launch wasn't a success, but at least it didn't break and the elevator situation was improved. I tried again, accidentally hitting the throttle, cutting power after it had gone just a few feet. Again, no real damage. Then, on the third throw, I chucked it hard at a 30 degree angle on full power and up she went.

Unfortunately, it required almost full up elevator just to stay level. Additionally, the stability-maintaining servo movements were way too much; the plane rocked back and forth when I wan't in a turn. BUT, it was in controlled flight, and I had finally gotten some flying out of it.

Since the wabble was just too much, and I really didn't know what i was doing, I decided to try to land it after only a minute. Several circuits had been made over my field, as this baby was screamin'. And the sound...wow. Unfortunately, on the last turn, a combination of a hard bank, inertia from the wobble. and just enough crosswind send it into a flat spin from about 60 feet in the air. The decent tool enough time for me to try to power out of it, applying opposite aileron, and still cut the throttle before impact. Sometimes you just need a rudder.

The nose cone was broken off all around (except for where I had glued it previously), the port scoop was smashed in again, and a piece on the starboard side roughly 1 cm x 1cm was missing. Oh, and the port wing broke off. My immediate reaction was elation--I had done it and didn't have to suffer the indignity of an ugly landing! Also, how on earth did I manage to cause a flat spin? I couldn't do it again if I tried, and honestly, it looked cool as hell.

Undaunted, I broke out the hot glue gun again, and applied some tape solutions for the blemishes. I then manually adjusted for more elevator seriously, though--I know what works is way too much, but WTH am I supposed to do?!?!?), and turned the aileron gain a great deal down. After some ground checks, it was time to try again.

My only regret is not having my camera crew on duty when I flew it. While not perfect, it was quite close, even down to the landing. With the code cracked, now it's just a matter of finding the time to enjoy a very satisfying EDF experience again and again.

My takeaways are this:
-The 11-blade fan is a must. RCG threads that discuss this plane mention the need for more power. They're right.
-The 40A ESC is the biggest that would fit, but it gave me great peace of mind. No issues whatsoever.
-A 35c or better battery is a must. That hing was HOT upon landing, and I'm certain that a lower c-rating would have been very bad.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 08, 2020, 06:31 PM
GOT WINGS
Nice looking jet. I don't thinkg I am ready for one yet though. Hope you get it dialed in.
Latest blog entry: UMX Air Tractor BNF
Mar 08, 2020, 08:30 PM
Thread OP
Thanks! The foam is REALLY rugged, making it well suited (in that respect) to be a first jet. But it is VERY challenging to fly. I don't have it 100% dialed in for my tastes, but with the ridiculous elevator I'm about 90% there.

There is nothing I've experienced in RC aviation that has been more satisfying than a successful flight with this little screamer. It not only boosted my confidence with flight itself, but really gave me the belief in my own ability to find success in PNP planes.

Yes, the scoops are not scale. Yes, it's twitchy. Yes, its livery is a bit cartoonish... But I don't care. It provides 2+ minutes of pure joy for an RC latecomer who will certainly have more EDFs in his hangar soon.

I have a ME-262 and an A-10 kit (64mm) with everything I need to take it to the next level. But before I do that, I want to build and dial in my 890mm P-47 kit, get comfortable with my E-Flite 1200mm P-47 (still haven't maidened), and finish my GWS 1000mm At-6 that I'm turning into a Dollar-Store Dauntless. All the lessons I've been accumulating are leading up to the ME 262, my all-time favorite airplane.
Mar 08, 2020, 08:36 PM
Thread OP
I've been kicking around the idea of taking the A-6 to the next level by cutting out the rudder and making it a 4-channel plane. I have everything I need for it, and the Rx & Tx I have are already configured for it. I'll probably use a low-throw micro servo in the fuse between the elevator servo and tail. It'd probably help with making it a little less nose-heavy while allowing me to turn at slower speeds.

Also, I'm thinking about making it a 2-servo setup for the ailerons as well (they're currently on a y-connector). That way I can program flaperons to assist in landing.
Mar 08, 2020, 09:47 PM
GOT WINGS
I wasn't familiar with the ME-262, had to go look it up. Cool looking plane. What brand and size do you have?
Mar 08, 2020, 10:50 PM
Thread OP

Me 262

It's an old GWS kit--1000mm. I have a pair of FMS 67mm EDFs for it with a y-harness. I'm still several months from even beginning--I need to get better at everything before throwing an EPS jet in the air. Every now and then one pops up in the classifieds or on eBay for 50-70 bucks. THey've been around quite a while. Here's a build log from 2007!

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...and-Doug-Cohen

Oddly enough, you can still buy one! (the foam-only kit comes in at $80)

https://www.rc-castle.com/index.php?...rch=gws&page=2

My purchase on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GWS-Me-262/...72.m2749.l2649

I may just buy the Freewing at some point. There's no way my build will reach that level of quality, but like you, I like the art of it all. It's very satisfying to apply a nice paint job, craft a smooth, even & balanced airframe, and choose and install the proper power system.

Here's the Freewing:

https://www.motionrc.com/products/fr...mm-edf-jet-pnp

The Petrincic brothers love this plane--probably their favorite EDF.

Freewing Me 262 "Yellow 7" V2 Twin 70mm EDF Jet - PNP Maiden flight (19 min 25 sec)
Mar 23, 2020, 02:58 PM
GOT WINGS
Skeeter, I received a couple of FMS 50mm 11 blade jet motors in the mail today. No idea why I got them and I have no use for them. Looks like you might be able to use them. Let me know.
Mar 23, 2020, 11:04 PM
Thread OP
HELL YES!!!

OMFG--GOLD

Name your price--PM me
Mar 30, 2020, 11:38 PM
Thread OP

I'll fly and crash this thing until the got glue stops working

After patching up my A-6 I was a little concerned that the reattached wing might not hold up to the Gs. Good news: it does.

The other day I took it out again and had a camera crew on standby with my phone. Due to the finicky nature of this thing and the fact that i was surrounded by trees on three sides, I never really got it close enough to catch good footage. Hopefully the realistic sound of the jet is audible at times.

A-6 Fun & Fail (2 min 3 sec)

And of course, I crashed it again. As with every other crash, it was a spin after a stall. I REALLY wish I had a functioning rudder to offer a glimmer of hope of recovery. This time, I stupidly let it stall at the end of a vertical climb instead of pulling back to complete a loop. Miraculously, the only damage was the tail section snapping half the way off. Clean and easy to repair no doubt. The thick, THICK nose section held up extremely well, taking the brunt of impact and protecting the rest of the plane (mostly). And, more importantly, the battery (3s 35c 1000 mAh) was very warm, but not untouchably hot.
Last edited by skeeter honey; Mar 31, 2020 at 10:34 PM.
Mar 31, 2020, 09:15 AM
GOT WINGS
Was hard to see most of the time, even on my 17 inch monitor. Nice field to fly over, and probably little trouble spotting it there. I have large fields to fly over, but right now they are all over 1 foot tall with wheat, can make it hard to locate a crashed plane. Flight did look good when I could see it, and the sound was great.
Apr 16, 2020, 07:54 PM
Thread OP

Upgrade and milestone

This picture is, to me at least, a bit of an accomplishment. Using a LemonRx, I was able to actually end a flight with the plane in one piece. I'm getting closer to my goal of being able to dial these things in enough to make maidening my AT-6 Dauntless a reality.

Also, as you can see, I modified it to include a rudder. It works perfectly, giving me fast coordinated, tighter turns, and allowing me to make corrections on final without banking.

Of course, the same model of Rx in my P-51 is still eluding me, although I think the plane itself has issues with the elevator sticking. I broke it AGAIN today. But if I can get a notoriously difficult EDF to work, then there's hope.
Apr 16, 2020, 08:29 PM
GOT WINGS
Good job. Pushes me just a little closer to getting a jet for that 50mm fan and motor I have.
Apr 16, 2020, 10:23 PM
Thread OP
Do it!!! There are a few cheap-ish ones out there. My a-6 came with a 5-blade EDF that I swapped in the FMS for. I highly recommend you go no lighter than a 40A ESC. or a 35c battery.
Apr 25, 2020, 01:31 AM
Thread OP

The last flight of the Intruder

I FINALLY got this thing dialed in well enough to be quite comforatble with it.

Perhaps too comfortable.

Last Flight of the intruder (2 min 18 sec)

Damage assessment is that she just may fly again. By the time this is all said and done I will have put a pound of hot glue into this bird, but damn if the breaks aren't clean and the flight performance unchanged after each round of depot-level maintenance.
Last edited by skeeter honey; Apr 26, 2020 at 02:31 PM.
Apr 25, 2020, 08:47 AM
GOT WINGS
OUCH! Got just a little bit of dirt on the nose there. Don't worry, that should buff right out.

Quick Reply