Mar 07, 2020, 03:20 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Eflite shoestring vs wm outrageous

I am trying to decide what to buy that’s currently available for ef1 racing. I know that there are a lot of reviews but many are old so they might have updated some. I was wondering if anyone had any input on current editions? My club is currently only racing club 40 but maybe looking to add this class
to remove ads between posts
Mar 07, 2020, 10:35 PM
Go with the Outrageous, its a much better ARF. The quality the Shoestring is not that great but both are good flying models. Also I don't like the stick built stab on the Shoestring, the Outrageous has a sheet stab.
I have built and flown both airplanes, also changed the color scheme.
Mar 09, 2020, 10:47 AM
DHG
DHG
Kinetic Sculptor
Ken is correct. Also, Shane Elbert of Elbert Innovations (Billings, MT) makes several very nice laser-cut EF1 kits including a Little Toni, GR7, and soon (I hope) a Loki. I'm not sure how long a drive it is from your place to Billings, but the Billings Flying Mustangs traditionally have an EF1 contest the first weekend in June. Q500 is also on the docket but EF1 is always well attended and most of the airplanes are high-quality including Shane's kits. Hope to see you there! Bring the team!

Cheers,
Duane
Mar 09, 2020, 11:41 AM
A Loki E F 1 would be great. might have to add to my collection. Is it your design Duane ?

Ken
Mar 10, 2020, 12:40 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Shoestring has the same fuselage, and wings as the Scarlet Screamer, Outrageous, and Pole Cat? It's just that the cowling, canopies, wheel pants, and some other minor details like the wing tips are different. The problem with the The World Models airplanes is the covering. I recovered my Outrageous with Monokote, and realized a small weight savings.
Mar 10, 2020, 10:50 AM
DHG
DHG
Kinetic Sculptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.fluney View Post
A Loki E F 1 would be great ... Is it your design Duane ?

Ken
Ken,

Yes, it is. I don't know how far along Shane is with the kit; I know he's got a lot on his plate. But I look forward to having someone better equipped than I am to produce kits. I can say it's the best EF1 design there is, with the possible exception of Shane's GR7, although with my inferior piloting skills I haven't proved that yet. It is absolutely the easiest to take off & land because of the wide LG stance and the 5/32" wire struts.

Wish I had one in flyable shape right now ... that's what I get for racing them instead of hanging them on the wall like any sane person would do.

Cheers,
Duane
Mar 10, 2020, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Doe View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Shoestring has the same fuselage, and wings as the Scarlet Screamer, Outrageous, and Pole Cat? It's just that the cowling, canopies, wheel pants, and some other minor details like the wing tips are different. The problem with the The World Models airplanes is the covering. I recovered my Outrageous with Monokote, and realized a small weight savings.
The Shoestring has a different fuselage, but the Scarlet Screamer, Outrageous and the Pole Cat are the same. I have built the Outrageous and Pole Cat from kits and the Screamer was an ARF.
The early WM ARF's where covered with the lite Toughlon, which should be liter than Monokote. I do like the yellow regular Toughlon because of the white backing which covers the lazer cut burns.
Mar 10, 2020, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHG View Post
Wish I had one in flyable shape right now ... that's what I get for racing them instead of hanging them on the wall like any sane person would do.

Cheers,
Duane
Don't you know a guy that's got the plans?
Mar 11, 2020, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.fluney View Post
The Shoestring has a different fuselage, but the Scarlet Screamer, Outrageous and the Pole Cat are the same. I have built the Outrageous and Pole Cat from kits and the Screamer was an ARF.
The early WM ARF's where covered with the lite Toughlon, which should be liter than Monokote. I do like the yellow regular Toughlon because of the white backing which covers the lazer cut burns.
Regarding the designs... All utilized the same airfoil and plan form. My shoestring was modified by Horizon to make it more like their kits and construction methods. Ken is correct, the Scarlet Screamer, Outrageous and Polecat all use the same fuselage and wing. What makes each design look different is the cowls, canopy and tails.

There was two releases of the Scarlet Screamer/Outrageous. The most current have fully sheeted wings and incorporate some improvements over the first build. The easiest way to tell if you have V1 airplane vs the V2 airplane is the open bay construction and the color of the wings. V2 wings were all white. V1 wings matched the fuselage color on the top surface of the wing.

Polecat kits are available from Rob Bulk.

DK

Quick Reply