Mar 07, 2020, 10:19 AM
Goes to eleven!
Thread OP
Build Log

Fieseler Storch Build Thread - Storchschmiede 1:3.5 Scale

All,

I thought I would send some info on this full composite kit from Storchschmiede (Storch Factory) in Germany as it has been a very positive experience.

Following a very good experience building the big 1/3 Wilga from Tomahawk Aviation also in Germany (also all composite) I wanted to try another.

The full scale model of the Storch is mostly fabric covered and while that would naturally lend itself toward a fabric covered model, the composite version (Storchschmiede offers both types of construction) I chose for the ease of build, strength and light weight (significantly lighter they say).

The molded parts have amazing detail and are the finest I have experienced.

The engineering accuracy of all of the various location markings and parts of this model are excellent and this makes it much easier to put together!

See some pics below from the Storchschmiede site:

http://storchschmiede.de/index.php?o...=92&Itemid=583

Note that the detail molded in includes all of the pinking tapes, and even the grain of the fabric covering from the master model that the molds were taken from.

Note: the model was designed by Alfred Benzing at Storchschmiede and he had the composite molding done by Thomas at Tomahawk Aviation.

More to come!

Joe
Last edited by JK13; Apr 04, 2020 at 10:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 07, 2020, 10:26 AM
Goes to eleven!
Thread OP
Here are a few pics of a finished 1/4 scale Storchschmiede Fieseler Storch also composite:

Joe
Last edited by JK13; Mar 07, 2020 at 10:32 AM.
Mar 07, 2020, 10:37 AM
Goes to eleven!
Thread OP
I started this build on Dec 27th and will post pics of some of my progress-

Joe
Mar 07, 2020, 10:40 AM
Goes to eleven!
Thread OP
The day I started was looking over all of the fiberglass/carbon composite parts and planning where to start.

Joe
Mar 07, 2020, 10:43 AM
Goes to eleven!
Thread OP
As this will not be a full build thread, I will post the highlights of the build and answer questions that you might have-

Joe
Mar 07, 2020, 10:45 AM
Goes to eleven!
Thread OP
First thing I did was rough cut-out the windows to help access the cabin for the build.

I carbon fabric lined the bottom of the fuselage to add strength for when you pick up the model it will prevent flexing and cracking later - I did this on the big Wilga and it worked great!

Joe
Last edited by JK13; Apr 03, 2020 at 04:54 PM.
Mar 07, 2020, 10:52 AM
Goes to eleven!
Thread OP
Here are some pics of the carbon tubes I added just like the full scale and also trying on the landing gear for the first time!

Joe
Mar 07, 2020, 11:07 AM
Goes to eleven!
Thread OP
This model has a wingspan of 4 meters (157 inches)
I estimate it will weigh around 50-55 lbs when done with all the scale bits added.
The big Wilga (3.7 meters) weighed 65 lbs wet with all of the added scale features and flew amazing (slow and light) - these are big planes that fly great (a lot of wing!)
Mar 08, 2020, 01:05 AM
Goes to eleven!
Thread OP
More carbon tubes added and glued inplace with Hysol epoxy

Over 100 carbon tubes added - really stiffens the structure.

Replicates the steel tube fuse on the original.

Joe
Mar 08, 2020, 01:07 AM
Goes to eleven!
Thread OP
Also note the plywood tow hook/servo setup on the upper mid fuselage.

Joe
Mar 08, 2020, 09:39 AM
Goes to eleven!
Thread OP
The door was carefully cutout using the Dremel saw blade - very thin line to minimize the cut width.

Also see the size of the plane with the wings on while I am trial fitting the wing joiners. - the fuse is around 9 feet long!

Joe
Mar 08, 2020, 09:45 AM
Goes to eleven!
Thread OP
The engine is from Roto in the Czech Republic

They specialize in four-stroke motors and make them for UAV's and model airplanes.

This is a beauty! - all CNC machined and even came in a nice wood box.

Engine model is - Roto 130 FSI

The three cylinder inline should fit nicely into the long cowl of the Storch.

I will make a custom scale exhaust and that will be a challenge!

Joe
Last edited by JK13; Mar 11, 2020 at 06:48 PM.
Mar 08, 2020, 09:13 PM
Goes to eleven!
Thread OP
On many of my planes I stand them on end to align the motor to the cowl for centering.

On most kits, the motor alignment marks are rarely accurate.

So what I do is secure the fuse in a vertical position and set the motor on the motor mount and put the cowl into accurate place.

Then move the motor around till it is perfectly centered and carefully remove the cowl and mark the motor position.

Joe
Last edited by JK13; Mar 10, 2020 at 09:29 AM.
Mar 08, 2020, 09:17 PM
Goes to eleven!
Thread OP
With the long engine and with the right/down thrust-line, I had to mount the engine slightly off of the side of the motor mount so I made a plate from 1/4" 6061-T6 aluminum plate to carry the load off to the side and still have four secure bolts thru the motor mount.

Joe
Mar 08, 2020, 09:21 PM
Goes to eleven!
Thread OP
Motor well centered!

Joe

Quick Reply