Apr 03, 2005, 05:23 PM
Thread OP

Park Flyer Wheels

I need a source for replacement wheels. I have a Megatech Merlin (I know, I know) that I am rebuilding for some indoor flight. I have replaced the electronics. I would like to replace the broken wheels with some other type since they are real flimsy and break too easy. I don't know the hub size but the dubro micro lite wheels are too small. They are 3 inch in diameter, any less and the prop would hit the ground.

Anyone know where to get a replacement?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 03, 2005, 05:25 PM
I use standard lightweight foam tyred wheels, and bush out the axles with brass tubing soldered on.

Or make some up with ply disks, balsa cores, foam cord and brass tube....
Apr 03, 2005, 06:13 PM
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/wheels.htm
Most would qualify for the $2.50 shipping.
Apr 03, 2005, 06:50 PM
if you go to the starlite plan on the rcmicroflight website, it includes a template for making the built up wheels as vintage1 mentioned. it is a free download.
Apr 03, 2005, 06:53 PM
Balsa is for doll houses
http://www.aeromicro.com/Catalog/whe...6_products.htm
I love aeromicro!
Apr 03, 2005, 07:55 PM
I build my own wheels by spinning them out of pink foam, then bush them down to the right axle size, then paint them. I use an electric drill, and use a long bolt for an arbor with a nut and washers to grip the foam. Takes longer to explain than to do; a little bit of patience and a couple of tries will give you what you want, and is more satisfying.
Apr 03, 2005, 08:35 PM
The 2-1/2 Dubro MicroLite's are too small? Too bad, a pair of 1-1/2" dubro microlite wheels have taken a licking on one plane so I put a 2-1/2" pair on another plane that quickly wasted its black-rimmed GWS indoor wheels. First the O-rings disappeared, then the spokes quickly broke. (I'm learning to fly in an obstacle course, the approaches are a bear but it builds character).

(3 days later) Arrrggh! On their second landing both of the 2-1/2 wheels broke. The first landing was my best ever, I heard a couple of fleas clapping it was so smooth. So it was the second landing that busted them and it was only a bit rough. I found both wheels a couple of inches from the axles and the plane was sitting on the hubs, weird. Under 30x mag it looked like a brittle fracture right at the hub, hey DuBro how about a little filleting here? 15 ounces is too much weight for these wheels (plus very stiff LG). Guess it's back to foam wheels.
Last edited by podavis; Apr 06, 2005 at 08:21 PM. Reason: 2-1/2' wheels broke on second landing.
Apr 03, 2005, 08:46 PM
Twist n' Shout!
make em' out of the foam type roll's,check them out at your home-depot, lowes, or menards..(its not FFF. But i'm sure you could make it out of that too) i cant remember what its call, will have to look on the net and find it..if i do, i'll post.But the stuff is great for making wheels..then you just stick a peice of tubing the diameter you desire and call it done. If you got no tubing or whatnot, you could also take the same diameter wire as your landing gear, and drop a thin layer of meduim CA, keep spiing the rod so that the CA doesnt dry to it, and you;ll have yourself a wheel..the CA is there to strenghten thepart where the rod goes through so that wheels arent as "flimsy"...i'll try and find that link...if all does not work. check out your LHS..PM me if you need anything.
Apr 04, 2005, 12:40 AM
I've found the "MPI Indoor Light Wheels 2.50" from Aeromicro as per Skrogg's URL, to work really well. They are very light and strong. I use them on my Estarter and it ROG's much easier on rough lawn.

Ron...
Apr 04, 2005, 06:04 AM
here's a home brew version.

cut a couple of round disks out of fan fold, bevel their edges, wrap them with caulk saver, stick a bit of brass tube through them as a hub. Eureka! Wheels!

i found the caulk save at home depot. about $3. the package will make a bunch of wheels.

i can't take credit for the idea. it came from here in the zone.
Apr 04, 2005, 06:23 PM
If you want a direct replacement, go here:

http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-29.html

They list the EPW80 as a direct replacement.
Apr 04, 2005, 06:32 PM
Foam Flyer
The "Caulk Saver" is more widely know at "Backer Rod"

Glenn
Apr 19, 2005, 06:30 PM
My 2-1/2 Dubro Micro-Lite Wheels busted on a plane that weighs 15-18 ounces, depending on the battery. The spokes on both wheels seperated completely from the hub on the first hard landing. I love these wheels because they are light, big and their rolling resistance on grass is low. This inpired the repair pictured below. The plywood hubs are 1/16 t x 1/2D, the holes for the original hubs were drilled for a CA-tight press fit. Not too much effort was put into getting them square so they wobble a little. After the CA cured a little epoxy thickened with microballons was packed between the perimeters of the inner and outer hubs. These wheels just bent the wire landing gear after the ESC went up in smoke but the wheels are undamaged.
Apr 19, 2005, 10:44 PM
BLACK SHEEP 2
The MPI wheels are great. I have them on my Tiger Moth and many landing (some hard) later, the're still working great!

Michael

Quick Reply