Apr 19, 2021, 05:17 PM
It's all in the Blades!
Chris,

To be fair its hard to tell on the Cruiser as it flies like it's on rails in it's normal guise.
But, trim was quite different compared to the tri plate.

Had to bring the roll from quite a bit left to almost neutral , I also needed to add more forward trim.

Rich
to remove ads between posts
Apr 19, 2021, 07:45 PM
The printed head looks very interesting ...nice work .Would be nice to try BUT unfortunately ,I never made the leap from scribbling to printing.
Chris...
Apr 20, 2021, 01:05 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinoz
The printed head looks very interesting ...nice work .Would be nice to try BUT unfortunately ,I never made the leap from scribbling to printing.
Chris...
Chris I can get my friend Tony Audsley aka Lockey he lives in Perth and can print and send the parts to you.

PM your address
Joe
Apr 24, 2021, 03:44 PM
Hi Joe. Do you have any new development on the Rotors blades for the Mantis? This mantis has me very interested. As you know I started printing the Mantis from your Stl Files and I am slowly getting the unit together now that I have the hardware required. I hope to hear from you on your latest development. Thanks Alex.
Apr 25, 2021, 02:31 AM
Thread OP
Oops
Last edited by Jockadopolus; Apr 25, 2021 at 03:35 AM.
Apr 25, 2021, 03:28 AM
Thread OP
Alex good to hear you are making progress.

Do you have LW PLA?

My blades are still in development but my friend Paul Bray has released his design, you will need LW PLA fibre glass spar and Simplify 3D to slice the files although he is working on getting them to work in Cura.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:48...dxB86NWf4dA3ME

My blades will slice in all slicers and you also need to use LW PLA for the main sections and I use carbon spars.

Ian Smith has released his design and is based on PLA and a wooden spar.
You can download the files with Revolver or Whippit and Ian Smith at the beginning of the name here, ignore the revolver spat files you dont need those
Joe
Apr 26, 2021, 02:00 AM
Thread OP
All the prototypes and the one in the video turned out tail heavy and needed nose weight.

This one with the LW PLA tail fin and rudder is very nose heavy.

Tried to fly it and had to remove the pilot and the canopy to get it to lift off.

Unfortunately I had a problem with a servo during that test flight and damaged the model.

Its almost repaired with only one part I had to reprint and some small areas needed gluing.
Joe

I will try and get more info regards weight hang angle and throws ASAP.
Apr 26, 2021, 08:03 AM
Thread OP
The first photo is the aftermath of my arrival yesterday

Got it repaired and changed a couple of things.

Removed the heavy battery box and added Velcro

Going to reprint the pilot with no infill to lose more weight

Moved the battery back for the next test flight.

The model ready to fly with the pilot is 1552g

Minus the pilot 1410g

And the Hang Angle is 15deg

Will post more info after test flights
Joe
Jul 17, 2021, 11:51 PM
Joe
The head assembly printed up very nice .This could be my "go to " head from now.
I printed it in PLA and have some PETG arriving next week and will print in that for a comparison.
I found the bearings to be a"cosy"fit but nothing that the vise could not handle and that I could not fit a 3mm bolt into the lower pivot and was reluctant to remove any material and so I found a good fitting rod with tight fitting silicon tubes.
I beleave that the PETG is a little stronger, heat tolerant as well as a little flex. I was also happy to find that your design is a good fit onto an arrow shaft as this is my preferred construction.
I will advise later about the PETG.
Cheers
Chris...
Jul 18, 2021, 07:52 AM
Thread OP
Chris glad you like the head.

Some print settings make the holes tighter.

Try these files and see what the holes are like.
Joe

Just noticed that you have printed the Y arm the wrong orientation.
Last edited by Jockadopolus; Jul 18, 2021 at 07:59 AM.
Jul 28, 2021, 12:15 PM

3d printed blades

hi ,

i've been following ,for years now and enjoy the info.
I have been trying different ways to print blades and have been getting good luck printing the blades leading edge down(trailing edge up) and using simplify3d to vary the infill and layers.you can make spars by changing the infill to 100% for a few layers.you can put them anywhere you want by how many layers from the bottom . i usually use 4 walls up to the spar.and 1 or 2 the rest of the way. or you can put another spar in.
The blank i start with is the airfoil stretched out to length and shelled to 1 wall thickness. I make a plug to join blades together and 1 to make a mount. I use a brim for adhesion and have not had any problems. I hope this helps.. mike
Last edited by mfinnan; Jul 28, 2021 at 12:41 PM. Reason: messed up
Jul 30, 2021, 01:07 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfinnan
hi ,

i've been following ,for years now and enjoy the info.
I have been trying different ways to print blades and have been getting good luck printing the blades leading edge down(trailing edge up) and using simplify3d to vary the infill and layers.you can make spars by changing the infill to 100% for a few layers.you can put them anywhere you want by how many layers from the bottom . i usually use 4 walls up to the spar.and 1 or 2 the rest of the way. or you can put another spar in.
The blank i start with is the airfoil stretched out to length and shelled to 1 wall thickness. I make a plug to join blades together and 1 to make a mount. I use a brim for adhesion and have not had any problems. I hope this helps.. mike
Hi glad to hear you are experimenting with printed blades.

Have you test flown any yet ?

Can you post some photos.

My blades are still not ready to release and need a little more development.
Joe

Quick Reply