Oct 05, 2021, 08:53 PM
Thanks, BISCO and DAP35. I just did not have the time to play with it yet.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 18, 2021, 04:28 AM

Setup help…

Hi all, i am new to the aura 5 lite (not to flight controllers) and have an issue.

Setup is a small wing, 2 elevons and motor.

I have the 5 lite setup ‘normal’ so pins at the rear of plane.

I cannot seem to have stability working in the correct orientation with either elevator or aileron.

If i reverse one then it is out again. Have checked setup multiple times (doing setup on laptop) and orientation is set this way.

Can someone point me in the right direction with what i am doing wrong?

Thanks, Mike
Oct 18, 2021, 06:15 AM
FlyLikeAnEagle-LandLikeADove
Elevon planes sometimes get confusing for me to set up also. I think I wind up going in circles.

Perhaps doing the setup using the buttons on the board using the radio as per the included instructions will help. Then perhaps you could read the resulting file from Aura to your PC.
Oct 19, 2021, 04:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder
Elevon planes sometimes get confusing for me to set up also. I think I wind up going in circles.

Perhaps doing the setup using the buttons on the board using the radio as per the included instructions will help. Then perhaps you could read the resulting file from Aura to your PC.

Hello. Ok, well i tried this and i cannot under any circumstances get everything correct.

When i get the surfaces working right gyro correction on elevator is ok but aileron are reversed . I have tried elevon A, elevon b, checked cables, orientation.

Can i ‘force’ a firmware flash somehow? If not i suspect something is wrong.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Oct 19, 2021, 06:38 AM
Mike, just a few thoughts. Are you using the Quick Check to see if the surfaces are moving correctly. Sometimes it is hard to tell. Are the channels in your radio the same as the channel assignments in Aura for a plane with elevons? Are all the servos in the radio set in the normal default direction? Is there no mixing in the radio?

Sometimes setting up elevon planes is easy for me (on Aura or Frsky S6R) and sometimes it is mindboggling (on either). There seem to be multiple interactions.

I have know idea what the difference is between elevon A and elevon B.

It would be nice if there was a clear step by step ordered instruction of how to do this setup.

I doubt there is anything wrong with your Aura but I understand why you feel there might be!
Oct 19, 2021, 06:52 AM
Hello and thank you again- I’m using an X20s

Setup as basic, throttle on 1 ailerons on 2 elevator on 3

Quick check not with- late here so have to look again tomorrow. But I tried and it said failed?

I set ch5 for modes and on 6 axis mode can easily see the surfaces. Have gain on ch 8 - pot 1 and it works too.

Mike
Oct 19, 2021, 08:03 AM
Mike, the other thing is the board orientation. I have gotten confused looking at the little picture and thought I had it correct, but in fact didn't. I think I have some bit of spatial impairment but it may be worth another check. though I assume you have done that. There is also the radio calibration, probably not a problem but worth doing, and the possible need to reverse servo direction which I am sure have done, AND the need to SAVE frequently because sometime I have though I have made a change but it didn't take because I forgot to SAVE. It takes a very orderly mind to get these things working well. Also, I assume you have tried reversing the ports you have plugged "aileron" and "elevator" into. Probably many times, huh.

Depending on what Elevon A and B do, and which channel you plug them into there seem like maybe four options. For each of those options, I suppose there are 4 possible combinations of servo directions. So maybe there are 16 possible combinations, and only 1 correct one. Assuming one actually saves what they think they have done. I m sure there must be an orderly procedure to sort this out, but I am not sure what it is. I feel your pain. When it finally works you probably won't even remember what you did. The button on the board method did work for me, amazingly. There is a Flite Test video somewhere I think.
Oct 19, 2021, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Mike, the other thing is the board orientation. I have gotten confused looking at the little picture and thought I had it correct, but in fact didn't. I think I have some bit of spatial impairment but it may be worth another check. though I assume you have done that. There is also the radio calibration, probably not a problem but worth doing, and the possible need to reverse servo direction which I am sure have done, AND the need to SAVE frequently because sometime I have though I have made a change but it didn't take because I forgot to SAVE. It takes a very orderly mind to get these things working well. Also, I assume you have tried reversing the ports you have plugged "aileron" and "elevator" into. Probably many times, huh.

Depending on what Elevon A and B do, and which channel you plug them into there seem like maybe four options. For each of those options, I suppose there are 4 possible combinations of servo directions. So maybe there are 16 possible combinations, and only 1 correct one. Assuming one actually saves what they think they have done. I m sure there must be an orderly procedure to sort this out, but I am not sure what it is. I feel your pain. When it finally works you probably won't even remember what you did. The button on the board method did work for me, amazingly. There is a Flite Test video somewhere I think.
I believe the difference between Elevon A and B is whether the servos are on the top or bottom surface of the wing.
Oct 19, 2021, 03:15 PM
Blue Skies
Quote:
Originally Posted by miksterr
Hi all, i am new to the aura 5 lite (not to flight controllers) and have an issue.

Setup is a small wing, 2 elevons and motor.

I have the 5 lite setup ‘normal’ so pins at the rear of plane.

I cannot seem to have stability working in the correct orientation with either elevator or aileron.

If i reverse one then it is out again. Have checked setup multiple times (doing setup on laptop) and orientation is set this way.

Can someone point me in the right direction with what i am doing wrong?

Thanks, Mike
At least twice when setting up elevon planes, I've swapped out the AILERON and ELEVATOR servos to get them to move in the correct direction. Have you tried that?
Don
Oct 19, 2021, 10:27 PM

Thanks all

Well I got it - I have configured the new FrSky receivers and consider them not particulary user friendly, Cortex pro's, spektrum as3x and many more (Even an Aura 8) and this stumped me - 99.99% user error. Likely as I am also new to the FrSky X20s and channel order. (Love this tx by the way)

Anyway, it is working as it should, have rates, gain on pot - 3 modes off/6 axis hi gain and 3 axis low gain.

Auto launch is working (On the bench anyway) and seems super straightforward.

Will see how my new wing goes when the motor arrives.

Thanks to all - took waaaay longer than it should have but all sorted now.

Mike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifinsword
At least twice when setting up elevon planes, I've swapped out the AILERON and ELEVATOR servos to get them to move in the correct direction. Have you tried that?
Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAP35
I believe the difference between Elevon A and B is whether the servos are on the top or bottom surface of the wing.
Quote:

Oct 21, 2021, 07:27 PM

Differential Ailerons on FT Aura 5 Lite

Could somebody please help with setting up differential ailerons on the FT Aura 5 Lite ? Thanks.
Oct 21, 2021, 08:15 PM
Unless someone on this thread knows the answer, I think perhaps the best places might be to search U-tube for videos by the Flite Test folks, or to try the Aura 5 thread somewhere on RC Groups or to try the Aura Wiki page.
Oct 22, 2021, 10:37 AM
Blue Skies
Quote:
Originally Posted by wester
Could somebody please help with setting up differential ailerons on the FT Aura 5 Lite ? Thanks.
If you want differential in your ailerons, you can do that mechanically by moving the aileron SERVO ARM forward 1 or so teeth of the servo if the servo ARM is under the wing, and aft if the servo ARM is on the top of the wing. If you want to do it in a Spektrum Tx, there is a menu for it, but I think you have to setup the AIRCRAFT TYPE as dual ailerons. In the AURA LITE, use the NEW WIZARD to set it up. It took me less than 5 mins to do it. I attached a pic of the result. Go to the FILE menu, and follow the WIZARD directions. I would try using your Tx menu for the DIFFERENTIAL settings or a mix to get higher travel on the up aileron than the down aileron. I don't know if there's a menu for it on the AURA setup.
Don

P.S. If you go to the AURA FAQs page here, it says "If desired, you can even apply differential travel to each flaperon (this works for dual ailerons too) in Aura by applying an appropriate 'different' Output Scale (Travel) to the right/left directions of each flaperon Servo Port. (ex. More Right output scale on the right flaperon, more Left output scale on the left flaperon.)"
Last edited by hifinsword; Oct 22, 2021 at 11:02 AM.
Oct 22, 2021, 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifinsword
If you want differential in your ailerons, you can do that mechanically by moving the aileron SERVO ARM forward 1 or so teeth of the servo if the servo ARM is under the wing, and aft if the servo ARM is on the top of the wing. If you want to do it in a Spektrum Tx, there is a menu for it, but I think you have to setup the AIRCRAFT TYPE as dual ailerons. In the AURA LITE, use the NEW WIZARD to set it up. It took me less than 5 mins to do it. I attached a pic of the result. Go to the FILE menu, and follow the WIZARD directions. I would try using your Tx menu for the DIFFERENTIAL settings or a mix to get higher travel on the up aileron than the down aileron. I don't know if there's a menu for it on the AURA setup.
Don

P.S. If you go to the AURA FAQs page here, it says "If desired, you can even apply differential travel to each flaperon (this works for dual ailerons too) in Aura by applying an appropriate 'different' Output Scale (Travel) to the right/left directions of each flaperon Servo Port. (ex. More Right output scale on the right flaperon, more Left output scale on the left flaperon.)"
Thanks Don.
Dec 08, 2021, 07:39 PM

Aura configuration for FrSky Archer and Ethos (X20s)

Aura configuration for FrSky Archer and Ethos (X20s)
I recently switched to FrSky's X20s which runs their new Ethos OS and I have a couple of Archer R4 receivers. After spending a couple of days trying to get the Aura to work with my FrSky setup, I finally tripped over what is probably obvious to anyone else, but I thought I would share it here in case someone else runs into it. Basically, the Aura did not see the correct inputs from the TX, so other than rudder, nothing worked. Selecting FrSky as the TX type did not work.

So my RX is connected via SBUS to the Aura. The TX is defined as custom. Then go to "Learn Transmitter" > "Manual Transmitter Setup"
Then setup the input slot order as slot 1 : Aileron , slot 2 : Elevator, slot 3 : Throttle, slot 4 : Rudder, slot 5 : CH5/Gear.

Quick Reply