Mar 31, 2020, 03:07 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubFlyer
The hubs come off fairly easily when removed properly. What the OP is trying to do is use a 10lb sledge hammer to drive in a finish nail. The hub pulls off the tapered collet much easier than trying to force the crank through it.

You could also contact some local flying buddies, possibly one of them has a hub puller.
You are right. Pulling the drive hub is really the proper way to do it. That way the process is relieving the pressure from the tapered collet. Driving the crank shaft through is only a clutch. The crank shaft has to over come the friction imparted by the tapered collet the whole way. I was hoping enough heat will relieve the pinch but alas.....
to remove ads between posts
Mar 31, 2020, 06:03 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubFlyer
The hubs come off fairly easily when removed properly. What the OP is trying to do is use a 10lb sledge hammer to drive in a finish nail. The hub pulls off the tapered collet much easier than trying to force the crank through it.

You could also contact some local flying buddies, possibly one of them has a hub puller.
All I have is a 16lb sledgehammer.
Mar 31, 2020, 06:05 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave
So you couldn't get this tool from Amazon?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...oupsconvert-20

For $22 it is really a good tool.
Late April delivery is a bummer..........
Mar 31, 2020, 06:23 PM
Thread OP
I have a handle puller that should work, just have to remember to pick it up at my shop.
Mar 31, 2020, 06:50 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhal22
Late April delivery is a bummer..........
Really! That's bad. Want me to send you mine?
Mar 31, 2020, 08:32 PM
Thread OP
Let me try my handle puller first. Thx
Mar 31, 2020, 08:42 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Let me try my handle puller first. Thx
Ok keep me posted.
Apr 05, 2020, 05:27 PM
Thread OP
I got tired of forgetting to look for my cheap handle puller at my shop so I bought another one. Cheap so why not. I have other puller so I will look at them one at a time.

Thoughts on this puller?
Apr 05, 2020, 05:28 PM
Thread OP
I can machine a piece of metal to fit between the hub and block if necessary.
Apr 05, 2020, 06:01 PM
Scott
That puller will be perfect. A bit larger than absolutely necessary perhaps, but it will have the drive hub off in less time than it took you to snap those 3 photos.

Scott
Apr 05, 2020, 06:18 PM
Diesel Danny
That puller looks ok.

I would move the arms out a notch on the puller bar to get them parallel, then put a strap of some kind around the claw end (cable tie or even a few layers of masking tape) and use a heat gun on the prop driver before applying the torque.

BTW, the collets inside my K&B hubs appear to be made of steel .

Best of luck

* Danny M *
Apr 05, 2020, 06:27 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
I got tired of forgetting to look for my cheap handle puller at my shop so I bought another one. Cheap so why not. I have other puller so I will look at them one at a time.

Thoughts on this puller?
1) Make sure you don't mess up the thread on your spinner adapter.
2) Wrap some wire around the puller arms so they won't pop off the drive hub and scratch it.

Other than that the puller should work. Personally I would pre-load with the puller and start heating up the drive washer. Then slowly increase the load by tightening the screw and heat some more. Eventually the drive hub will pop off the collet.
Apr 05, 2020, 06:34 PM
Thread OP
Thanks guys. I'll prep the puller and report back soon with more photos.
Apr 07, 2020, 11:38 AM
Put the claws (jaws) of the puller under the prop driver hub if you can. Looks like they will probably slide off the groove in the hub. If that happens try tying something around both jaws to hold them together. I found a cheap 2 jaw puller from Princess Auto in Canada and it works a treat as it keeps the jaws together so they don't widen and slip of the prop drive hub.

I bet after you finally get it apart, the next time will be much easier!

Good luck...
Apr 07, 2020, 08:14 PM
Thread OP
Per seismic's advice I preloaded the puller, just experimenting as i did not want to damage the hub. Anyway, pop, off it came. Now what?

Quick Reply