Apr 03, 2005, 02:55 AM
Thread OP

My first Ritz wing

I have begun construction of Gordon Murray's "The Answer". The right wing is just off the board. WOW, what a nice design it is ! Think I've been modelling 50 years and not touched this before.
The model will be powered by a Mills 1.3 (Attachport repro) or, if more power is required, a DC Sabre.
Anyone here have built and flown this lovely model ?
Last edited by JMP_blackfoot; Apr 03, 2005 at 03:10 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 03, 2005, 04:14 AM
Nice model-----have looked at the plan plenty of times-----have not built it though.

Should think the Mills will pull it around very well.
Apr 03, 2005, 06:08 AM
what is the wing span ?
Apr 03, 2005, 10:27 AM
VERY pretty wing! What IS that span? judging by that pencil on your board about 48" ?
Apr 03, 2005, 11:28 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvint
what is the wing span ?
The winspan is 44 inches, wing area 310 square inches, fuselage length 31.5 inches. Original was powered by a Bantam .19 spark ignition engine, which by the way was almost one ounce lighter than the repro Mills 1.3 with tank. The same model with a wing of standard construction was called "Scorpion" in the UK, and kitted by Keilkraft, I think. I don't know why they felt the wing construction had to be changed, I found it pretty easy and fast. Maybe the quality of balsa then available was too stiff ?
Those are one inch squares on the drawing.
Last edited by JMP_blackfoot; Apr 03, 2005 at 11:42 AM.
Apr 03, 2005, 11:38 AM
JMP,
But dont forget the acc, for the Bantom( bats ,coil) . I bet with these included the Mills wins .
Nice looking model too , should fly nice.
Stewart
Apr 03, 2005, 11:50 AM
Thread OP
Yes, the quoted weight for the Bantam is 3.2 oz. bare, and 7.1 oz. flying weight. the Attachport Mills weighs 128 grams (4.5 oz.) I am just wondering about balance, seeing that the battery, coil and condenser are shown way back to obtain the 40 to 50% balance point given by Gordon Murray.
Or I could switch to an ED Bee ? We'll see when the tail and fuselage are made.
Sep 04, 2005, 01:48 AM
Thread OP
Okay, you can stop holding your breath
Slow builder, yes...
Here is the part finished fuselage, which is not as easy as a straight slab-sider, but interesting. The wing was in fact easier that a regular type.
For directional control, I'm thinking of using half the (large) sub-rudder. This will simplify the removable tail surfaces.
Do you think control will be adequate ? Or should I absolutely have a rudder on the top fin ?
Last edited by JMP_blackfoot; Sep 04, 2005 at 01:55 AM.
Sep 04, 2005, 08:41 AM
>For directional control

Control? You mean ... it's not F/F ?? oh, horrors.... :-)
Sep 04, 2005, 09:38 AM
Thread OP
Yes, I know, but at least I make my own radio
Living near Paris, fields for FF are a real problem.
Sep 04, 2005, 09:42 AM
According to a foot note on the Ben Buckle 'Super Scorpion' plan, the Ritz airfoil would climb like a rocket, but the glide was less than impressive. Jim
Sep 04, 2005, 12:20 PM
I have RC in my old timers ( sorry Applehoney) and I think 1/2 the sub fin would be ok JMP.I'm only going by the plan. All mine are flown on two channel - rudder & elevator so I plug the rudder servo into ailerons.Its easier to fly with the more isolated controls ( I fly mode 1) and the nice thing is I can use the dual rates because Im plugged into ailerons. Therefore you can set up large throws on high rates to make sure you have enough control on initial flights. Looks really lovely though.What do you plan to cover it with?
Sep 04, 2005, 02:47 PM
Thread OP
Blazer, I checked the plans in my Ben Buckle Super Scorpion kit (of 1987 vintage...), but did not find the footnote. I do however believe that the 11% camber of the airfoil is too much. But then, this wing is so nice... and Gerry Ritz did later win a World title in Nordic A2 gliders with his wing...

Snorks, thanks for the advice. I had in mind to start with half the sub-fin, and cut a rudder in the top fin only if necessary. It will be two-channel also.
I use throttle on the right stick, and always fly the main turn control on the right stick, elevator always on the left stick, much like you describe.
I think I'll cover it in the traditional manner, silk and dope plus some paint.
Another favorite of mine is the Corsaire by Chabot (which he flew at the 1945 French record days, powered by a Delmo 2.65 engine). Mine is silk covered, and painted, powered by a well-silenced Taifun Zyklon 2.5 cc diesel turning an 11x4 prop at 7400 rpm. It is rudder (all moving, lead edge driven, concealed linkage) and throttle only - no elevator - and makes the most beautiful take-offs you could dream of. It will run tail high for about 25 meters, climb to about 3 meter height in the wind shear, level off, accelerate again and start a gentle climb to altitude. For landings, I have to give a burst of throttle just before touchdown to make a nice flared landing.
Last edited by JMP_blackfoot; Apr 29, 2016 at 08:57 PM.
Sep 04, 2005, 03:40 PM
>Yes, I know,
's OK, JMP .... just leg pulling. However I'd be wary of hustling the 'Answer' around the sky too briskly, that wing is fine for FF but I'd have thought the 'Scorpion' wing with a deeper, stiffer structure would have been better suited for RC .

But then again.. what do I know about RC?
Sep 05, 2005, 12:42 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehoney
>Yes, I know,
's OK, JMP .... just leg pulling. However I'd be wary of hustling the 'Answer' around the sky too briskly, that wing is fine for FF but I'd have thought the 'Scorpion' wing with a deeper, stiffer structure would have been better suited for RC .

But then again.. what do I know about RC?
Well, actually, the deep camber amounts to a full one inch depth at the wing root, and you'd be surprised how this makes the wing is quite stiff; when covered, I have no doubt that it will be as strong as many a standard structure. And the Mills is not what one would call a hot motor

Quick Reply