This thread is privately moderated by CKD315, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 03, 2020, 03:08 AM
Really, I meant to do that...
Thread OP
Discussion

Byron F-16

I've been wanting to get a jet for years now but didn't want to go with one of those rtf foam planes that most folks start with.

I had read a lot about my options and found out the F-16 was a good first jet for a lot of folks back in the day. So when I found this one at the Perry swap meet last week I couldn't pass it up. I bought it as a bare airframe, and I'm starting the search for an edf motor/fan. I'm not sure if I want to go with an original "byrofan" setup or go with some carbon fiber setup from this century.

It's been worked on and appears to have been reinforced with cloth and has servos mounted in the wing. It also has a flying stab configuration, and a fixed rudder. It's been sitting on the intake and fins for a while now and has a few cracks that are mostly minor.

It seems I never get a plane fully finished and detailed until after I've flown it for a while, so I'm not going to worry about its appearance for now. I'm really looking forward to getting it flying and finding out about all that hoopla with jets...
Last edited by CKD315; Mar 05, 2020 at 03:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 03, 2020, 03:48 PM
Here is my Byron F-16 AND Mig-15. Complete makeovers still in progress there. Maybe looking at mess in the background of my small shop will make u feel better about yours.
Mar 03, 2020, 10:41 PM
Thread OP
That's a sweet set of Byron's. I also wouldn't mind having a MIG as well. though I'm good with my F-16 for now.

I got the outline for the brackets printed out and am going to see if I can make a set with carbon fiber instead of aluminum. It would be easier for me to lay up cloth than to bend aluminum bar, I believe. I'd like to get the gear taken care of first before I start on the fan motor install. I'm not interested in doing much at all with the paint and hangar rash for now, I just want to get it flying first.

I took a bunch of photos today, they really show what kind of shape it's in. I think it looks fine, it will look even better when it's doing a low, fast flyby...
Last edited by CKD315; Mar 05, 2020 at 04:03 PM.
Mar 03, 2020, 10:51 PM
Thread OP
Just a few more photos. The last few of it standing vertical on its own amazed me, it's so well balanced. It's the first plane I've ever owned that can stand on its tail. I think it's going to be like flying a rocket with wings
Last edited by CKD315; Mar 05, 2020 at 04:05 PM.

Quick Reply