How Sailplanes Fly Without a Motor - Video

Check out this video that explains how a sailplane flys.

Splash

Great Video Explaining How Sailplanes Fly

This is about sailplanes so you might be wondering why I've placed this in the Electric Plane Talk forum. Well, generally sailplane guys already know how they work, but power guys may not know and this is an informational post to those who might be interested in flying gliders. We have an awesome forum section linked below for sailplanes so you can head on over there to learn more.

Click Here to Visit the Sailplane Forum Section

Now on the video. This was put out last August by Joyplanes RC on Youtube. The video description states "Gliders are airplanes heavier than air that can be kept in flight without an engine. How can you fly without an engine? That is what is explained in this video in addition to several curiosities about these aircraft. According to Wikipedia a glider is a fixed-wing aircraft that is supported in flight by the dynamic reaction of the air against its lifting surfaces, and whose free flight does not depend on an engine. Most gliders do not have an engine, although motor-gliders have small engines for extending their flight when necessary by sustaining the altitude (normally a sailplane is on a continuously descending slope) with some being powerful enough to take off self-launch."

It's a great watch with good animations and real footage to explain the how a sailplane flys. Take a look and comment below with your thoughts.

Mar 02, 2020, 05:36 PM
Great video, good explanation of soaring flight.
Mar 13, 2020, 05:35 PM
Very well produced video. Thanks!
Mar 14, 2020, 08:06 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
Spencer Lisenby (sll914 - RCG) on dynamic soaring.

BTD10: The 835kph Sailplane and Dynamic Soaring (56 min 0 sec)

DS video used in the lecture above

DYNAMIC SOARING NEW WORLD RECORD: Bruce Tebo flies 505mph at Weldon with his Kinetic 130 (3 min 51 sec)

Most recent record

FASTEST RC AIRPLANE IN THE WORLD! Transonic DP -- 545mph!! (1 min 15 sec)
Last edited by Ron van Sommeren; Mar 14, 2020 at 08:20 AM.
Mar 14, 2020, 08:43 AM
I have said it before and I will say it again:

Fairy Dust .... it takes fairy dust for a sailplane to fly.
Mar 15, 2020, 07:13 AM
The huge speeds obtained by dynamic soaring can be considered a bit of an anomaly. It is a peak, although repeatable, speed rather than a sustainable straight line velocity.
A bit like the Boeing 747 last month that crossed the Atlantic at an average speed of over mach 1 arriving nearly 2 hours early.
Of course a 747 is not a supersonic plane but it can travel over the ground that fast if the air the plane is flying in is moving at close to 200 mph - all the way across the Atlantic.
Mar 15, 2020, 07:42 AM
I really try not to overthink how a sailplane flies .... I simply enjoy the fact it is in the air and I am on the sticks. If I have to think that much about it then the joy is gone for me.

Fairy Dust rules.
Mar 16, 2020, 08:02 AM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
I like the fairy dust theory!
Mar 16, 2020, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quorneng
A bit like the Boeing 747 last month that crossed the Atlantic at an average speed of over mach 1 arriving nearly 2 hours early.
And then it spent two hours waiting for a gate.
Mar 16, 2020, 09:22 AM
Damage is expected
The hill where I often slope soar has a bit of ferrous metal in the dirt so it clings to magnets - making motor magnets get a little fuzzy.

I think slope soaring is magical and some of my planes fly without motors to recharge my soul. Magic: The Gathering - of slope pilots
Last edited by Warnekid; Mar 16, 2020 at 09:26 AM. Reason: spelling correction

Quick Reply