This thread is privately moderated by GonzoBorinquen, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 02, 2020, 09:46 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Heinkel 162 Salamander

Heinkel 162 Salamander WWII turbine model. It took me seven months to build the model. The kit was produced by Bruce Sanders Century Jet Models. The kit is no longer in production. The kit is a very complete short kit. All wood except wing planking is included. Main kit parts are a fiberglass fuselage with plywood bulkheads and foam core wings.
Have not given the Salamander its maiden flight yet even thou I has been ready to fly for a while. Will publish how it went with the maiden flight when it takes place. April 2020 is the set date for the maiden flight.

The design of the full scale HE 162 took four months and 1st prototype was shortly available after that. The plane went thru a very short trial period with many retrofits installed after almost every test flight. Been in production in late 1944 and with many materials in short supply, the creation of the 1st squadron itself was a major task.

The model is controlled by a Futaba 9C radio, powered by Jet Central Rabbit 100 SP, Century Jets retracts, Xicoy sequencer to coordinate landing gear with gear doors and Jettronics variable low-loss braking system. Controlled by 11 servos. Controlled by Futaba are two servos in Ailerons, two servos in Flaps mixed with elevator switchable, one servo on each Elevator, one servo on each rudder, two servos controlled by the Xicoy sequencer for air valves ne for retracts another for gear doors and one servo for steering.

Fuel load is 124 oz. distributed by in four tanks in series. Tanks are a 40 oz. on top of mains, 60 oz. under the turbine, a 24 oz. on top of the 60 oz. tank and a 6 UAT. The fuel will provide a 9 minute flight with some to spare. The fuel utilization sequence was key to the models performance due to the CG variation thru the fuel consumption cycle. Since all the landing gears retract rearwards, fuel consumption needs and its impact on the CG needs to be considered. I performed a CG check with landing gear retracted while emptying each tank. With the present tanks location and series emptying sequence a variation of only 1/8 in CG was obtained.

The model spans 59 and weighted fully loaded 28 lbs. fully loaded.

The model is scaled from the Heinkel 162 register #120077. It was named by its assigned pilot the "Nervenklau". Red #1. Although I attempted to recreate a scale model of that plane, I did not name it as the original. I named " Emily". In memory of my dog who passed away a couple of months before I finished the model.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply