Horizon Hobby E-flite UMX Ultrix BNF Basic - RCGroups Review

This unique twin brushless motored micro wing is a ton of fun at all speeds! Just wait until you see this thing spin...

Splash

This awesome micro wing will have you spinning for joy!

Product:E-flite UMX Ultrix BNF Basic
Wingspan:13.5"
Length:12.9"
Weight:2.29 oz
Motors:Brushless
Battery req:500mAh 1S 25C LiPo
Price:$119.99
Available from:horizonhobby.com
PDF Manual:Click Here

Don't look now, but Horizon Hobby just introduced a brand new micro to their UMX line! A slim delta wing design made of strong EPP foam boasts twin micro-brushless motors. Despite the brushless motors, this little wing only needs a 1-cell lipo battery! Aided by AS3X and SAFE Select technologies, the Ultrix may be tiny...but you wouldn't know it's only 2.29oz when you're flying it. With a wide flight envelope, differential thrust and powerful brushless motors, Horizon claims this unique micro will be great indoors and out, and even says it's capable of 3D flight. I've loved my UMX Stryker for years, so when this similar looking bird came across the wire I was eager to try it out! Let's dig right in...

See others' opinions, equipment and mods on the UMX Ultrix in THIS THREAD.

In the Box

The box itself is quite small and thin, a welcome feature from other micro planes! At just 15"x16"x2.5", the UMX Ultrix can easily stay protected in its box and fit behind the seat of your car. Inside, you'll find the main wing locked under a foam bar.

In one corner of the foam, you'll see a pocket that has the 2 vertical stabilizers, a set of spare props and a bent wire you can use for a nose-wheel skid if desired (could be useful for flying off a smooth gym floor!). Also included is a user manual, with which I highly recommend setting their suggested rates into your transmitter.

The only thing not in the box that you'll need to fly the Ultrix is a transmitter, a 1s 500mAh battery and a charger.

Assembly

Literally all you need to do is slip the two vertical stabilizers into their slots. DONE! Note that the stab slots might be a little loose, in which case I'd suggest using the provided velcro (fuzzy side) to add a little more friction (you won't need the velcro for these batteries, anyway). The small wing balanced with the end of the battery about 1" from the receiver block.

Flying

Takeoff & Landing

For launching, hold the back edge of the wing between your fingers, throttle up and simply let go! It really couldn't be easier. With SAFE Select mode active, it doesn't matter how you throw it, even behind your back...the Ultrix will level out instantly and gently climb into the air. Even with SAFE Select off, launches are a non-event. Full throttle on launch is not necessary, half should get you in the air just fine. Note on your first flight when switching SAFE Select mode off, your Ultrix may dive a bit. I recommend keeping mid-throttle and some altitude when doing this the first time so you can adjust your trims.

Landing is just as easy. The Ultrix is excellent in a high-alpha harrier, so give it some up elevator as you throttle down to let it plop down softly in the grass tail first. While the propellors are set back from the nose, they are still somewhat prone to damage if they hit the ground spinning...so plan on chopping the throttle just before touching down. On that note, I discovered from others in the primary thread that there are these Gemfan props that are much more durable. Another fun method we discovered was to put it in SAFE Select mode, aim it towards yourself as you lower the speed and try to catch it! My pilot even echoed some DLG competition catch & immediate re-launch fun.

Basic Flight

As delta-wings usually are, the Ultrix is very stable at all speeds. SAFE Select mode (and some throttle control) and/or low rates allows this nimble quick bird to really tame down to the point that anyone with basic flight control knowledge could handle it. I would absolutely recommend programming in low/high rates as suggested by the manual, as full rates are very responsive. Aileron rolls on high rates are like a drill! At full throttle, the Ultrix is surprisingly fast for a 1s airplane...at least as fast as my 2s UMX Stryker. I was able to get a solid 6 minutes of constant non-stop full-throttle flying on the 500mAh pack...so a more typical flight with some throttle control could easily hit 7-8 minutes.

Aerobatics

The UMX Ultrix brushless motors give plenty of power for some basic sport aerobatics...loops and rolls are a non issue, snaps and knife edge are difficult (understandably with no rudder surfaces). But where the fun really begins is when you crank that rudder stick to the top corners! The programmed differential thrust will spin the Ultrix around like a frisbee (or boomerang, pinwheel, etc), which can be quite addicting! As you can see in the review video, my pilot had a lot of fun doing long and short frisbee spins mixed into all sorts of aerobatics. I haven't discovered yet how to keep the spin flat & horizontal with the Earth, it tends to fall haphazardly like a leaf as it spins down...but I'm sure it's possible! To exit the spin, either let off the throttle or simply neutralize the rudder stick and start flying again.

As far as 3D performance, the Ultrix excels at upright and inverted harriers - IT'S ROCK SOLID!. It also has plenty of power for hovering. However if you're looking for more 3D aerobatics than that (rolling harriers, etc), you might be better served by one of the micros or larger planes that have all of the traditional flying surfaces.

I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing the LED lights on the Ultrix for some night flying!

Flight Review Video

Summary

The UMX Ultrix is a ton (or at least 2.29 ounces ;)) of fun! It reminded me a lot of my UMX F-27Q in speed, performance, and the frisbee/pinwheel spins. However the Ultrix wins in comparison with the effortless launches (and new pilot assistance) provided by SAFE Select mode, the ease of executing the frisbee spins, and durable EPP construction. The powerful twin brushless motors provide lots of power and speed for this little wing, and with only a 1s battery for power. Performing long frisbee spins from 100' up or quick ones down low provided constant entertainment. The super small box makes it a total non-issue to keep in your car for those quick flights around the park and the power setup gives you a respectable flight time. I think the Ultrix will surprise you and just might be one of the funnest UMXs yet!

Hits

• Excellent power-weight ratio
  • Great speed envelope
  • Differential thrust provides a lot of fun aerobatics
  • Super small carrying case
  • Efficient power setup gives long flight times
  • Durable EPP
  • LED lights (yet to arrive) look cool

Misses

• Fragile props

*Thanks to my pilot Alex Fredrickson for flying for the photo & video!

RCGroups.com Review Policies

Our intent is to provide fair and unbiased reviews so that consumers can make informed decisions regarding new products. Some things you should know about our review process:

• RCGroups.com review items are provided by hobby manufacturers and suppliers, some of whom may be RCGroups advertisers.
  • Review products are sent directly to independent reviewers, chosen by RCGroups.com.
  • RCGroups.com reviewers are not compensated by either RCGroups.com or the reviewed item's supplier. However, they are allowed to keep the review items at no charge.
  • Published reviews reflect the opinion of the author.
  • When a conflict arises between a review sponsor and a reviewer (which is rare), RCGroups attempts to work out a satisfactory solution for all parties. In some cases, this may mean that a finished review will go unpublished, or be subjected to editing for technical accuracy. RCGroups reserves the final say as to whether an article is fit for publication.

It is always our intent to provide a place for honest and open commentary, and to put the needs of our visitors first. If you feel that something we've published is inaccurate, please let us know using the contact form.

Last edited by Nikolei Zinsli; Apr 02, 2020 at 04:49 PM..
Apr 03, 2020, 12:48 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
A RMRC nano-goblin is almost the same size and flies for ~50min on 2s Li-ION.

7min flight times on UMX planes is not up to par
Latest blog entry: My FAVORITE FPV CockPits'!!!!
Apr 03, 2020, 01:45 PM
A nanogoblin weighs 4 times as much and has almost twice the wingpsan. It carries 12 times the battery capacity. I think it's pretty silly to compare.

The ultrix looks super fun! Wonder if it could take a micro fpv camera
Apr 03, 2020, 04:55 PM
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
Thread OP
I think it could easily handle the small cams that they put on the UMX Stryker / UMX Radian!
Latest blog entry: 93" AJ Laser 230z
Apr 03, 2020, 07:41 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Who wants to keep an aerobatic plane in the air for almost an hour?? Goblin was intended for cam flight from the start.

Ultrix has more than enough power for a micro FPV cam. Use a 500mAh battery instead of the 600mAh packs popular right now for a little more payload capacity if needed or desired.
Apr 03, 2020, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1
A RMRC nano-goblin is almost the same size and flies for ~50min on 2s Li-ION.

7min flight times on UMX planes is not up to par
Extremely poor comparison.
Apr 03, 2020, 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolei Zinsli
I think it could easily handle the small cams that they put on the UMX Stryker / UMX Radian!
I had one of those small cams on my radian and it was super fun. I might have to try this!
Apr 05, 2020, 09:56 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
Edit
Last edited by rclab1; Apr 06, 2020 at 10:55 AM.
May 07, 2020, 08:25 AM
Awesome review, Nikolei! I NEED to get one...

-Richie
Jun 29, 2020, 07:19 PM

FPV ultrix

I did it. Search the forum and you can see pics
Jun 30, 2020, 04:13 PM
I enjoyed the write up. I think when you're editing a video like that and doing the voice-over, when it comes to talking about various tricks or traits of the plane you should show those things in the video while the narration is mentioning them. Otherwise the narration and the visual seem very detached from one another.
Jul 01, 2020, 10:16 AM

FPV ultrix

I figured out (I think) how to add a link to the pictures of my FPV UMX ULTRIX.
Hopefully this works.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=1596

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=1596

Quick Reply