Mar 01, 2020, 08:27 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Battery alert on TinyHawk without goggles??

Hello everyone, great beginner here. I just bought a TinyHawk (1st version, not S) in the kit with goggles. I am first trying to learn to fly it line-of-sight, but I have a naive question: how do I know when to land the drone, to avoid damaging the battery? In the goggles there is a low voltage indicator, but how do you know when to land when you dont wear the goggles? Just using a timer set to 3:30 minutes? Thanks for your knowledge and experience, it is probably a silly question, but I really dont have any idea currently :-)
to remove ads between posts
Mar 01, 2020, 08:36 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
You need to learn about BetaFlight Configurator. This will let you see what the quad's low-voltage threshold is set to. It's probably around 3.4V/cell by default. If so, you can just keep flying until the quad lands itself. If not, set it to 3.4V and then just keep flying until the quad lands itself.

You may be able to add a buzzer or an LED to the quad to alert you to low voltage, but you'll have to read up on the TinyHawk flight controller to see if it supports one of these options.
Mar 01, 2020, 08:41 PM
Thread OP
Thank you rocketsled666! I will learn how to configure Betaflight then. My background is in computer science, so that part at least should be easier than piloting :-D I am not a native english speaker btw, so please accept my apologies for my mistakes.
Mar 01, 2020, 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentHawk
Thank you rocketsled666! I will learn how to configure Betaflight then. My background is in computer science, so that part at least should be easier than piloting :-D I am not a native english speaker btw, so please accept my apologies for my mistakes.
I'd also recommend flashing jesc 48khz firmware to the esc for an additional :30-1:00 extra flight times
Mar 01, 2020, 09:10 PM
Thread OP
(googling googling) ... ok ... so "ESC" is the speed controller, so I understand that there is a better firmware to control it then? Thanks jay! Many things to learn in this hobby.
Mar 01, 2020, 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentHawk
(googling googling) ... ok ... so "ESC" is the speed controller, so I understand that there is a better firmware to control it then? Thanks jay! Many things to learn in this hobby.
Yeah jesc 48khz reduces the amp draw on these tiny motors buy something like 30% with pretty much no drawbacks over the stock blheli configurator. It's pretty straightforward there's a few videos out there on it
Mar 02, 2020, 11:45 AM
just use the timer. how much los flying are you really going to do anyway?
Mar 02, 2020, 11:48 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketsled666
You need to learn about BetaFlight Configurator. This will let you see what the quad's low-voltage threshold is set to. It's probably around 3.4V/cell by default. If so, you can just keep flying until the quad lands itself. If not, set it to 3.4V and then just keep flying until the quad lands itself.

You may be able to add a buzzer or an LED to the quad to alert you to low voltage, but you'll have to read up on the TinyHawk flight controller to see if it supports one of these options.

Is that a new feature? I've never seen a BetaFlight quad land itself if voltage hits the low voltage threshold. If it can no longer stay up in the air, that usually means the battery has been drained far too much, and usually the quad will not auto-land then, but just drop out of the sky.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Mar 02, 2020, 05:56 PM
Yeah, flying till you can't is bad advice. BF has no low voltage cutoff feature that I know of. Only thing you can do is set warnings.

Pretty sure the tinyhawk flight controller has pads for a buzzer. I would add a buzzer, then you can set it in BF to sound at the LV warning. Having a buzzer comes in handy when you start flying fpv anyway.
Last edited by blazenglory; Mar 02, 2020 at 06:02 PM.
Mar 02, 2020, 06:03 PM
Name: ummagawd-acrobrat-mamba-f4-mini-fc-betaflight-settings-power-voltage-current-meter[1].jpg
Views: 38
Size: 72.0 KB
Description:

You'll notice a Warning Cell Voltage that is separate from Minimum Cell Voltage. I'm pretty sure when you hit minimum, BF will land even if you're pushing the throttle to the top.
Mar 02, 2020, 06:06 PM
Not true. There are separate warnings for low voltage and minimum voltage is all. Like a pre-warning. In the osd they show as "low voltage" and "land now". But nothing stops you from flying through them.
Last edited by blazenglory; Mar 02, 2020 at 06:19 PM. Reason: added pics
Mar 02, 2020, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Attachment 13224429

You'll notice a Warning Cell Voltage that is separate from Minimum Cell Voltage. I'm pretty sure when you hit minimum, BF will land even if you're pushing the throttle to the top.
"Pretty sure" may be enough in some cases, but not here. As the quoted reply below this correctly states, the two different values only translate in a different memory being displayed on the OSD. The only thing that will force a BetaFlight quad to land is a fully drained battery. If you don't fly FPV, and there is no buzzer installed, to be able to sound a warning when the voltage gets low, a timer is the only way to prevent over-discharging the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazenglory
Not true. There are separate warnings for low voltage and minimum voltage is all. Like a pre-warning. In the osd they show as "low voltage" and "land now". But nothing stops you from flying through them.
Mar 02, 2020, 11:35 PM
My quads mostly seem to behave as if it works that way. But honestly, I've never paid it a huge amount of attention. I'll watch more carefully when I go flying tomorrow.

Sorry for any inaccuracies in my comments!
Mar 03, 2020, 12:58 AM
Quote:
My quads mostly seem to behave as if it works that way. But honestly, I've never paid it a huge amount of attention. I'll watch more carefully when I go flying tomorrow.

Sorry for any inaccuracies in my comments!

I understand why you thought it would work that way. And we all keep learning.
Mar 03, 2020, 02:54 AM
There's really no reason why it shouldn't work that way. At least as an option you could turn on.

Quick Reply