Ooops? Well, maybe not... - RC Groups
Mar 31, 2002, 01:32 PM

Ooops? Well, maybe not...

Because of high winds I decided not to fly yesterday. Since the forecast was more of the same I decided to dump my packs. In the midst of dumping my 8x1500 pack of Sanyos, I forgot to remember to pay attention to my voltmeter.

The next time I looked the VM was reading 0.56 V, both bulbs totally out, the pack was just slightly warm.

This morning the weather was flyable so I peaked charged all my packs in the normal manner. At the field the 8x1500 seemed to be just fine, delivering the normal 6~7 minute run time in my Twin Star.

While I don't recommend this type of dumping it apparently did not harm this pack of Sanyos.

to remove ads between posts
Mar 31, 2002, 02:25 PM
Too young to be a senior.
Same thing happend to me once, the batt pack still seemed fine though.
-pc
Mar 31, 2002, 02:35 PM
Boffin
Assuming those were NiCd, storing the batteries individually shorted is a standard technique for R/C car racers. They sometimes build packs with a resistor from the + to - of each cell.
Keeping the entire pack shorted can lead to reversal of the weakest cell, but a deep discharge should not hurt a good pack.

Rick.
Mar 31, 2002, 02:49 PM
Sloping off....
My flying buddy Kev always discharges his flight packs down to zero after each flight and stores all of his battery packs shorted out. It requires a consistent regime to avoid an accident when the connectors on a non-discharged pack might be accidentally plugged together. Kev was a car racer as well before taking up electric flight.
Mar 31, 2002, 03:11 PM
I know a competitive sailplane pilot that does the same thing..
..a