Aug 01, 2021, 07:15 AM
God Your CoPilot? Switch Seats
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamingthemarket
Stephen, there are several comparable airframes to the Amp. Warmliners all do the same thing, but some wings are slightly better at certain modes of flight vs. others. It can also come down to profile. Do you like the look of a T-tail vs. a V-tail? A stick on a wing? A fuselage with more room? Etc.

Valenta doesn't get much coverage here, but they are worth investigating:
http://www.valentamodel.cz/en/

P.S. Nice Ernest Gann joke.
I have no esthetic preconceptions.
“T” tails
“V” tails
Conventional are all good.

Hey even a
Horizontal stab in front of the Vertical stab
… though they do look a bit funky and queer.

I am just looking for a good first hot liner from the guys who fly them and are the voice of experience. Y’all are a wealth of information and very accepting of a sailplane noob.

I think I will pass on the “TOM” after finding TaboeEd’s build thread. It seems to be a more exacting build for a first hot liner.

“A man has to know his limitations.”

I am sure there are more out there than the Amplitude but one hit my radar as a good fit.
Relatively fast
Relatively easy to assemble (notice I purposely did not use the word Build) ARF
… my last “build” was a “Pussycat”
Hi-Start launched 3 channel glider back in the 80s - I actually have one NIB w it’s MonoKote sitting on a shelf. It has been a long while sinceI had to chose a freq and hang a flag of an antenna.

The price is not an issue but prudence says one should walk before one tries to run.
Tryout a Dodge RT Charger on the street before stepping up to a Super Bee on the high-banked oval :-) — Told ya I’m old !

Stephen
Y’all are full of great ideas and information.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 01, 2021, 07:51 AM
God Your CoPilot? Switch Seats
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamingthemarket
S
A stick on a wing? A fuselage with more room?
I certainly don’t want to get any more skinnny in the fuse than the KUNI. It was a bugger getting the RX and things in there but it does not need to be a roomy as the Amplitude seems.

[/QUOTE] Valenta doesn't get much coverage here, but they are worth investigating:
http://www.valentamodel.cz/en/ [/QUOTE]

I have heard of the “Weasle”. Is there one or two 2M+\- powered hot liner types on the alerts site that you like and or with which you have experience?

[/QUOTE] P.S. Nice Ernest Gann joke. [/QUOTE]

Dumb newbie question. Is that PalneKrazy’s given name or somebody elseI don’t know??

Stephen
I feel so uniformed here :-(
Aug 01, 2021, 09:19 PM

Some sad news to share...

Many of you will know our German friend "Grossiman" who's real name is Andreas Grossmann. He was the fellow who I believe first introduced us Westerners to the Amplitude back in Deadstick Duck's thread on the Evo and suggested it as a good contender. You will know that Andreas was always there to answer technical questions with his abundance of knowledge and experience and was always willing to help anyone out with advice.

I became good friends with him and we would email several times a week. At first I thought his English was brilliant till he told me he used Google Translate lol.

Sadly Andreas contracted cancer and kept up his optimism and hopes as he endured treatment. Sadly he has passed away and I did not find out for some time. I was able to contact his wife and expressed my deepest sympathies as indeed I am sure all of you would have wanted also.

Whether you are out screeching through the clouds or soaring high please take a moment and remember a good friend on your next flight.
Last edited by Canada Goose; Aug 01, 2021 at 09:56 PM.
Aug 01, 2021, 09:52 PM
Electric
Will fly one for an old friend. Thanks for letting us know. Will maiden my Night Radian in his honor.

33min on 1000mah nice.
Night flying
Last edited by DeadstickDuck; Aug 02, 2021 at 12:14 PM.
Aug 02, 2021, 01:26 AM
Stephen, I was looking at the Espresso (link) but really wanted a T-tail. I got a similar 2M glider on sale and wrote a build thread here. The Amp is heavy and flies heavy, so it is more of a 6S + geared motor machine. My hunch is you'll get more bang for the buck with a glass 2M + outrunner. What you lose are insane verticals, but you might enjoy hunting thermals and feeling the wind. Someone mentioned putting a gyro in a glider which makes zero sense. That kills all the feedback the wind gives a pilot. Kinda the whole point of flying gliders.

Anyway, the Amp plows through the air. Something like the Espresso w/ droop flaps can stay in a thermal. The advantage of getting an airframe that's more of an all-rounder is the opportunity to learn the style (or flight regime) you like best. Then you can specialize to that in the future.

P.S. I forgot that Robert Scott wrote God is my Co-Pilot. I thought it was Ernest Gann. Check out Fate is the Hunter. Great book if you like WW 2 aviation.
Aug 02, 2021, 07:21 AM
That thing almost hit me
To add to the confusion, here's a real gem.

http://www.icare-rc.com/gem.htm
Aug 02, 2021, 07:42 AM
Throw it in tha air!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoed

I just bookmarked that one ,thank ya
Latest blog entry: WOT into the burn pile!
Aug 02, 2021, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadstickDuck
Will fly one for an old friend. Thanks for letting us know.
Will dedicate the maiden of my next plane to him.
Aug 02, 2021, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcdyvie
The FVK Siren? I wanted that plane so bad back then lol.
To the best of my knowledge I don't think there was ever a model called Siren in the FVK range.

Brian Wa
Aug 02, 2021, 02:53 PM
Electric
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Wa
To the best of my knowledge I don't think there was ever a model called Siren in the FVK range.

Brian Wa
Great Planes Siren
Last edited by DeadstickDuck; Aug 02, 2021 at 02:59 PM.
Aug 02, 2021, 03:46 PM
Are we there yet?
Quote:

I had a Gem fold it's wing doing a dive test on it's maiden. Setup was a Turnigy 35-48 900kv with a 4s 2200mah, I didn't think it was particularly heavy so was pretty annoyed about it. I emailed TopModel and complained but never got a response. I'd be careful how hard you push one if you get it.
Aug 02, 2021, 06:30 PM
That thing almost hit me
Did it actually fold during the dive or as you pulled out of the dive??

El Nino.....
http://www.icare-rc.com/elnino.htm
Aug 02, 2021, 06:42 PM
That thing almost hit me
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaBarefootBoy
Valenta doesn't get much coverage here, but they are worth investigating:
http://www.valentamodel.cz/en/ [/QUOTE]

Dumb newbie question. Is that PalneKrazy’s given name or somebody elseI don’t know??

Stephen
I feel so uniformed here :-([/QUOTE] I have a Valenta Mini-Twister. Nice plane for the price. PlaneKazy's given name is Mehrdad. IMHO, one of the better all round sailplane guys on the Left Coast. Really nice guy in general too.
Aug 03, 2021, 02:47 AM
Are we there yet?
Quote:
Did it actually fold during the dive or as you pulled out of the dive??

El Nino.....
http://www.icare-rc.com/elnino.htm
It folded as as I tried to pull out. It was a long time ago but as I remember I didn't pull up like you would if doing a loop, it just seemed to fold way too easily IMO.
Aug 03, 2021, 06:47 AM
RIP Andreas , I would like to dedicate today’s sunset flight to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada Goose
Many of you will know our German friend "Grossiman" who's real name is Andreas Grossmann. He was the fellow who I believe first introduced us Westerners to the Amplitude back in Deadstick Duck's thread on the Evo and suggested it as a good contender. You will know that Andreas was always there to answer technical questions with his abundance of knowledge and experience and was always willing to help anyone out with advice.

I became good friends with him and we would email several times a week. At first I thought his English was brilliant till he told me he used Google Translate lol.

Sadly Andreas contracted cancer and kept up his optimism and hopes as he endured treatment. Sadly he has passed away and I did not find out for some time. I was able to contact his wife and expressed my deepest sympathies as indeed I am sure all of you would have wanted also.

Whether you are out screeching through the clouds or soaring high please take a moment and remember a good friend on your next flight.
Last edited by Gflier20; Aug 03, 2021 at 06:52 AM.

Quick Reply