Feb 29, 2020, 01:49 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Robbe Amplitude Hotliner

Decided to bring in this model. A Robbe Amplitude Hotliner, PNP.

1800 mm wing span with flaps and operates on 4s. Found at Modelbau Lindinger. Will report upon delivery of the plane and later flight impressions in the spring.

DESCRIPTION:

The AMPLITUDE is a modern hotliner in GFK/CFK negative shell construction with first-class all-round flight characteristics and extraordinary design with high visibility in flight.
In addition to the ailerons, the carbon-fibre reinforced wing also has flaps that are cross-jointed. This allows both the manoeuvrability and the slow flight characteristics to be optimized. Landing is child's play with the butterfly position, even in tight spaces.

All rudders are attached as elastic flaps. ( I assume they mean control surfaces)
The fuselage is extremely spacious under the wing to accommodate larger batteries for high performance propulsion. Transverse and longitudinally laminated CfK reinforcements ensure high strength.
With the drive of the PNP version, breathtaking climbs are achievable.
In the ARF version own drive setups can be used.
Low overflights at high speed are spectacular and demonstrate the performance of the model.
However, the AMPLITUDE can also be flown softly and is quite happy to accept updrafts. Thus, the model is also suitable for more comfortable all-round operation.

The AMPLITUDE is available in two versions (ARF and PNP). With the PNP version, the drive is already installed, as are all the servos and the cabling.

Features:
- large-volume fuselage for large batteries
- 4 flap wings with flaps!
- eye-catching modern design with extremely good recognizably
- very many CfK reinforcements, therefore high strength
- three M3 flat head screws with the same wrench size
- length 1,04m
- Profile: MH-30
- 4 flap wings (ailerons and flaps)
- Empty weight approx. 725g
- Flight weight approx. 1590g

TECHNICAL DATA
Motor: Robbe X36-800
Propellor: 12 x 8 CAM
Wing-span 1800 mm
Length: 1040 mm
Flying Weight : 1590g
Wing Area: 27.8 dm2
Control : E,A,M,F
Manufacturer : Robbe
Fuselage Fiberglass/Carbon
Wings : Fiberglass/Carbon
Version : PNP - PLUG N PLAY
Rec. Battery : 4S/3200-4000mAh LiXX
Length MH-30 mod.
Fly / Build : 21.jpg
Drive Type : Electric
C.G.: 68-72 mm behind leading edge
Last edited by Creative RC; Feb 29, 2020 at 09:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 29, 2020, 09:31 PM
Subscribed.....
Feb 29, 2020, 10:57 PM
Interesting to see what is being marketed a a 'hotliner', at least as the PNP version.

Around 700W, probably less because it's only a 28mm outrunner in a 35mm can, and 1600g. That's current F5J power to weight. And pitch speed of only about 70 mph.

Obviously lots of scope to install a more capable drive by buying the ARF version, especially with the huge battery weight budget, but PNP buyers might be a bit underwhelmed.

Seems like a reasonable price though
Mar 01, 2020, 07:42 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco
Interesting to see what is being marketed a a 'hotliner', at least as the PNP version.

Around 700W, probably less because it's only a 28mm outrunner in a 35mm can, and 1600g. That's current F5J power to weight. And pitch speed of only about 70 mph.

Obviously lots of scope to install a more capable drive by buying the ARF version, especially with the huge battery weight budget, but PNP buyers might be a bit underwhelmed.

Seems like a reasonable price though
Yes, it will be interesting to see what the PNP can do with its 12 x 8 prop. Once setup, I will do a brief static test to see how many amps/watts it will draw and report here. From its manual, the motor can handle a 12 x 10, so may as well get one. Since the ESC is not supplied for the PNP, I may as well put in one larger than 60 Amps in anticipation of an eventual motor upgrade or whether I get curious enough to know what 5s will do with the stock motor.

Will be curious to see kind of speeds I can get with the stock setup and the prop upgrade using a GPS data logger.

From the motor manual (which confirms your comments);

Ro-Power Torque X-36
800 Kv
36,5mm diameter x 56 mm length
Shaft dia.: 5 mm
200 grams
800 Kv
Max Amps: 48A
Max Watts: 720W

Props: 3s 13 x 10 gliders up to 3,5m and 4s 12 x 10 Hotliners up to 1,8m

Bolt spacing on motor is not indicated.

Comparatively, my Hobby King Glider Drive 960 kv (35 amp) has a motor mount spacing of 25 mm with M3 machine screws. It hauls my old 2.0 meter Kyosho Soarus glider impressively on 3s.

It will be fun to play with and eventually soop up this Amplitude, but for this summer will leave it stock to get to know the plane. I don't like to hand launch anything, so am hoping to use my launch dolly as the Amplitude has plenty of power to pull it.
Last edited by Creative RC; Mar 01, 2020 at 03:09 PM.
Mar 01, 2020, 04:15 PM
Thread OP
Just wish to mention RC-Network.de has some threads on the Hawk III and Limit Pro. There is a way to translate each page as you go along.

Thread titles found:
Hawk III Revolution: Informationen?
Hawk 3 von Staufenbiel
Das Warten hat ein Ende - Limit Pro jetzt in geringer Stückzahl lieferbar!

I noticed in one thread there were problems with the glue of the Hawk III motor board being soft and detaching and there is a comment in the Hawk III rc groups thread saying it extended to the Limit Pro as well. Their solution was to remove it and re-glue it with better glue and even a thicker motor board.

A photo to illustrate. Will check for this on the Amplitude. Shipped yesterday from Modelbau Lindinger with delivery in 9 to 16 days.
Last edited by Creative RC; Mar 02, 2020 at 11:26 AM.
Mar 05, 2020, 12:32 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
subscribed
Mar 06, 2020, 12:07 PM
Franz from Austria
These are suitable light weight drives, preselected especially for the Hawk/Wilko/Amplitude/etc.. from Reisenauer.
https://www.reisenauer.de/kid-99-Hawk-F5B.html
Had a long discussion with Andi Reisenauer, most important conclusio: you'd want the Micro Edition 5:1N 4plus-Inject/T, not the standard one. It is a bearing type for up to 4kW (standard recommended up to 1kW) and can resist forces from landing on the spinner much better.
Most use the 2950kV on 5s. I had the 2800kV.
If someone is choosing this drive be aware that most probably battery has to sit next to ESC to achieve CG due to the light weight.
I also glued in a thicker motor mount. At least a second layer of good epoxy glue should be applied from the outside.
Last edited by FranzD; Mar 06, 2020 at 12:12 PM.
Mar 06, 2020, 05:11 PM
FranzD, let him fly first with the PNP engine and gain experience with the amplitude, a Peggy is a bit too hot to start with.

But here is a video of the Hawk3 with a Peggy on 5S with a 15x16s propeller:
Hawk 3 Revolution, Peggy mit 5:1 MicroEdition, 15x16s, 5S (0 min 56 sec)

The aplitude is slightly larger and heavier, but should fly at a similar speed.

Greetings Andreas

FranzD, lass ihn erst einmal mit dem PNP Motor fliegen und Erfahrungen mit dem Amplitude sammeln, eine Peggy ist für den Anfang etwas zu heiß.

Aber hier ein Video vom Hawk3 mit einer Peggy an 5S mit einem 15x16s Propeller: siehe Link oben
Der Aplitude ist etwas größer und schwerer, sollte aber ähnlich schnell fliegen.

Gruß Andreas
Mar 06, 2020, 05:27 PM
Franz from Austria
Hallo and Hi Andreas,

thank you for your kind advice.
This is a misunderstanding. I just wanted to suggest some nice propulsion. I flew the Hawk3 with PP 2800kV on 5s RFM15x16 3 years ago before I got a Speedfire2 with 7kW+ setup and other birds :-)

Greatings,
Franz
Mar 06, 2020, 05:40 PM
Thank you to our German brothers for stepping in and offering good advice
Mar 06, 2020, 09:00 PM
Thread OP
Amazing flight in that video. If we can get that type of performance out of the Amplitude, with a power system upgrade, it will be an amazing first hotliner.

Here are a couple of photos that have been added online. Beautiful in flight, but I am wondering where did he place the receiver antennas as I was under the impression it had a carbon fibre fuselage where the antennas need to be placed outside the fuselage.

Then again, it is advertised as a Fibreglass /Carbon fuselage and as GFK/CFK negative shell construction. Maybe this means the antennas can be placed inside the fuselage after all. I hope so.

Patiently waiting for its arrival. Should be here by mid march.

P.S.: Thanks Franz for the information on the Peggy Pepper motor. Certainly sounds like a good upgrade once I become very comfortable with the base setup.
Last edited by Creative RC; Mar 06, 2020 at 09:56 PM.
Mar 06, 2020, 09:16 PM
I believe it is a fibreglass fuselage with carbon reinforcement. Those are the first photos I’ve seen of the Amplitude Francois, good find, it looks great in the air!
Mar 07, 2020, 12:51 AM
Electric
I'm going to test one of these at their higher power handling abilities lol.... So I can both have fun and also put my money where my mouth is when I offer/suggest airframes to others. I like to share in the action. I have more refined airframes to play with but hope to show here by example with this Amplitude where you can start and gain the skills needed to appreciate and not fear flying great models .... So, long winded..... I hope by testing and showing results those joining along will see that things are not so mystical and scary... you can have some fun building your skills without costing you an arm and a leg.

I contacted Robbe and they say the Amplitude accepts 4kw without any modifications and 5kw with firewall and fuselage reinforcements.... and nothing about the wing being mentioned. Let's just make a safe call for now to say the model itself is basically maxed at 5kw as the wing can not be modified.....? Something like the initial investment to buy a 4kw power system would give many sticker shock enough to steer clear and stick with low-power outrunners, and serious F5B-type sport fliers tend to aim towards higher level full carbon fiber airframes worthy of such 8s/10s power systems to practice with. "Sport" being the term used for everyday flying and attempting things you would not do to your expensive sexy flagship you save for your best flying.

The Amplitude ARF is in my CART and will order shortly with 5 of the Robbe 177 servos and 2 pair of servo frames.... @$520 shipped to US..

My power system is going to be what I have on hand, the Neu 1512/1.5Y/6.7 1833kv, a GM18x21 running on 8s (2x Tattu 4s2000mah 120C) and Edge160HV esc. I already have the esc soldered to the motor and after a season of flying the Amplitude the system most likely will go to one of my Yuri Virage 2m exotics to run 12s 9kw GM17x26 lol..... after much Amplitude practice and.... more practice

This system on 8s should be @3400~3700w @64oz (1800g) AUW.
Last edited by DeadstickDuck; Mar 07, 2020 at 02:38 PM.
Mar 07, 2020, 12:57 AM
That will pull the feathers off the Duck for sure
Mar 07, 2020, 01:33 AM
Electric
The Amp fits the right need for an easy to see bird with F5B flight envelope at half the cost of a similar airframe. Means we can buy the hotliner with flaps and bigger battery space at the same basic cost of the Limit Pro.... but with better flying characteristics.

This plane probably flies great on the stock 800w 12x8 system.... for a 1st time hotliner owner.

But someday when we all (in general) find we want more boost .... the airframe is ready to take whatever you can put into it any Neu 1512 motor can be run on 6s or 8s.... just stay below 4kw (anything you can run in your next exotic on 10s now that you learned to fly on the Amp!)

Then in a season or two you buy the fancy full carbon flagship you've been eyeballing and you have your Amp for backup. Or be addicted like me and have 4 or 6 hotliners. It is the way
Last edited by DeadstickDuck; Mar 07, 2020 at 01:41 PM.

Quick Reply