Apr 01, 2005, 08:35 PM
Thread OP

Horizon's Mini Edge info?

I saw on the Horizon website that they will be coming out with a mini Edge in the same size and weight as the mini Funtana. Anyone seen one or know of any video?

Hope it is not a replay of the delays with the release of the Funtana mini.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 01, 2005, 08:50 PM
WOW!! that is like the Mini Funtana. I like it. I think the price sould be the same as the MF
Apr 01, 2005, 08:54 PM
Thread OP
It is according to the Horizon website.

Wing Span: 37.25 in (945 mm)
Overall Length: 34 in (860 mm)
Wing Area: 297 sq in (19 sq dm)
Flying Weight: 24 - 26 oz (680 - 740 g)
Motor Size: Park 400 Brushless, 3700 Kv or 4200 Kv
Radio: 4+ Channels
Servos: 4 sub-micro
Trim Scheme Colors: Ultracote Flame Red (883), Bright Yellow (872), Pearl Blue (845), White (870)
CG (center of gravity): 2-1/8" (54 mm) to 2-7/8" (62 mm) behind leading edge
Prop Size: 12 v 6 (included)
Spinner Size: 1-3/4"
Hardware Included: Yes
Speed Control : 20-35 Amp Brushless
Recommended Battery: 11.1V 2100mAh Li-Po
Control Throw (Ailerons): Low Rate - 3/4" (19mm) up/down or High Rate - 2" (51mm) up/down
Control Throw (Elevator): Low Rate - 1/2" (13mm) up/down or High Rate - 1-5/8" (41mm) up/down
Control Throw (Rudder): Low Rate - 1-1/2" (38mm) Left/Right or High Rate - 3" (76mm) Left/Right
Scale: Park Flyer
Approx. Assembly Time: 4 - 6 hours
Gear Ratio: 6.6:1 (66T spur with 10T pinion) gearbox (included)
Apr 01, 2005, 11:56 PM
"I passed on the kool-aid"
Impressive....would have preferred the colors of the larger one and would like to see an extra and ultimate while we are at it. I had a feeling we might see something like this as SEFF approaches. I too hope they got things in order since the last drawn out fiasco with the MF.
Apr 01, 2005, 11:59 PM
Based on the limited info on the horizon website....I do think the edge 540 from aerolock models is going to look better and has the potential to perform as well if not better as it will probably be a good deal lighter.
Apr 02, 2005, 12:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf
Based on the limited info on the horizon website....I do think the edge 540 from aerolock models is going to look better and has the potential to perform as well if not better as it will probably be a good deal lighter.
Do you have any more info on the aerolock edge 540?
Apr 02, 2005, 01:14 AM
Finally a definitive answer on why we see the MF's up for sale

Looks nice. Don't like the colors much, or the weight... but if the price it anywhere near the MF. I am certain there will be one in my shop. Unless Aerolock can beat them to the punch.

You just can't have too many edges.

Mike
Apr 02, 2005, 01:42 AM
I'm an Edge fan myself. But, seeing the specs makes me less than enthusiastic about it. E-Flite seems to be going the wrong direction toward even higher wing loadings. This new Edge weighs as much or more than the Mini Funtana with significantly (~10%) less wing area. If an Edge of this weight had more than 400sq-in of wing... I'd be very interested.
Apr 02, 2005, 01:46 AM
Scott Stoops
I agree Andy... I'd like to see one in the 45-48" span and 25 oz... It can be done (just not ARF'd).

Scott
Apr 02, 2005, 02:02 AM
Isn't being arf'd yet... but I'm now convinced that if it can be done at all, it can be arf'd. Just not using the same construction techniques that E-Flite is using now. The Cap40E from StevensAero, my Extreme Flight Yak55, and the new Extra from Hobby Lobby changed my mind about that. Yes, the latter two are profiles... but they don't weigh any more than a foamy of similar size... and I didn't think that could be arf'd either.
Apr 02, 2005, 09:35 AM
Scott Stoops
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Steere
Isn't being arf'd yet... but I'm now convinced that if it can be done at all, it can be arf'd. Just not using the same construction techniques that E-Flite is using now. The Cap40E from StevensAero, my Extreme Flight Yak55, and the new Extra from Hobby Lobby changed my mind about that. Yes, the latter two are profiles... but they don't weigh any more than a foamy of similar size... and I didn't think that could be arf'd either.
Probably true. I know of one manufacturer that has kitted a similar design (the Stevens Groove) and it will be pretty hard to do that with a laser-cut model (if anyone can do it, Bill can), not to mention the heavy wood, ply, heavy covering, and heavy glue used in the common arf. SHould be fun to watch at least!

Scott
Apr 02, 2005, 10:19 AM
Thread OP
SCott- why can't an ARF be made of something exactly like the Groove kit? Why can't that exact kit be assembled by expert Groove assemblers, packed up and shipped out? Why must ARF's be heavier?
Apr 02, 2005, 10:23 AM
Check the parkflyer's forum for the aerolock edge RickC2009 and be prepared to get in line...lol. I Think the landing gear looks to small on the e-flite model but then again I probably have obsessive compulsive disorder on small details like that. The aerolock model has about an inch less wing span and about 40 sq. in. less area but is supposed to weigh in at 17 oz.
Apr 02, 2005, 01:33 PM
Scott Stoops
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexico
SCott- why can't an ARF be made of something exactly like the Groove kit? Why can't that exact kit be assembled by expert Groove assemblers, packed up and shipped out? Why must ARF's be heavier?
It is absolutely possible, just very unlikely IMHO. I guess I tend to think that way simply because it hasn't been done, yet.

Scott
Apr 02, 2005, 02:34 PM
Thread OP
Think of all the shipping costs they would save if they built lighter. :>)

Quick Reply