Feb 26, 2020, 03:56 PM
Long Island, NY
Thread OP
Discussion

TAM5 Plans or Advice/Contact

If you clicked on this thread, you might guess where I'm going with it.

I've had a passive interest in the design or maybe just the profile of the TAM5, the ship of Maynard Hill, which made the first autonomous crossing of the Atlantic Ocean in 2003.

Haven't given it too much thought, but would like to maybe someday construct a replica of that plane, it would probably have to be from scratch, but I'm an old soul, 35 year builder, I'm sure I could figure it out...

The tapered LE of the wing design seems most hallmark, wide body fuse tapering to a thin waist of a fuselage tail, built up fin surfaces.

If anyone has a lead as to where I might be able to obtain these plans, please give a shout.

If you have a tapered wing pattern that I may be able to build off of, approx. WS 72", same goes for you too.

Enclosed are some screen shot in case you need a refresher.

Also a YouTube link from Aug 8, 2003 which I found quite fascinating.

The Saga of TAM-5 (21 min 47 sec)

email: [email protected]

Thanks in advance.

Happy building and flying!

Jim S,
Holbrook, NY
to remove ads between posts
Feb 26, 2020, 04:30 PM
Pro Hoarder
Sounds like a fun project.. I remember when this was happening...A man ahead of his time. Could you imagine what it would be like to find one of the first 4 attempt planes. You may want to contact the AMA museum. I believe they have a lot of info on the project
Last edited by turbonut; Feb 26, 2020 at 04:58 PM.
Mar 03, 2020, 11:26 PM
I would send an inquiry to DC-RC.org. This is the R/C club Maynard belonged to. I would imagine someone in the club should be able to get you in contact with the right person.

https://www.dc-rc.org/apex/f?p=RC:CONTACTUS::::::

Thanks!

Paul

Quick Reply