Feb 26, 2020, 06:04 AM
Thread OP
Question

12" plastic rubber props

Hello,

Could anyone give a hint where to find 12" plastic props for rubber motor....?
I know that suchs props do exist (or existed...?)
I have googled around a lot...!

BTW: The best plastic props to my experience, are the Czech "IGRA" propellers.
Unfortunately their largest prop seems to be the P-30-size....
Last edited by Gluehand; Feb 26, 2020 at 06:39 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 26, 2020, 07:03 AM
Why not carve a nice balsa one? They look better and work so much better.
This is the Dave Hipperson prop many of us have used and use on Senator's, and they work really well.
13 inch sure, but very easy to reduce the size just a little.
Feb 26, 2020, 07:23 AM
Thread OP
That looks like a good template Gossie...!...I've saved it down...thanks...!
Yeah...I hear what you say, and personally I agree...
Although not beeing an "expert", I do have some experience in prop carving, but this "case" is a bit different:

A fellow modeller has - after a long "career" as an "average rc-flyer" - caught a hot fascination in rubber motor FF (I like that ), and his models tend to go up in size, as he lives close to some huge fields (I wish I could say the same...).
He realises and feels that prop carving lessons - at present - would slow his building and flying progress down too much, hence his need of quicker solutions....
Now, he's a good craftsman, i.e. I'm sure that we will take up the carving sooner or later, I'll see to that....
Last edited by Gluehand; Feb 26, 2020 at 09:04 AM.
Feb 26, 2020, 12:37 PM
Easy Built Models carries 12" plastic props. They have a website. The company is run by Dave, and Ann - good people.

Kevin
Feb 26, 2020, 12:50 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Kevin...!
I will give them a try. (I wonder why I didn't find them...?)

/Bosse
Feb 26, 2020, 02:03 PM
B for Bruce
A "cheat" he could use is to just shape the blades only and join them to a solid hub. This could be done either as fold in flight blades or as a free wheeler with the blades held firmly but which still fold to avoid damage in a hard arrival. So there would still be SOME carving but not as much as a full one piece prop.

Another option although not as ideal would be to again do a separate blades and hub assembly that uses
Feb 26, 2020, 03:46 PM
ffkiwi
You should be able to find the old Keilkraft plastic 12" props-as supplied with the KK Senator kit....on line-the last ones I saw were black rather than the traditional red-these should be available from UK outlets....but there are also some very nice orange props out of China that can be found on Ebay with a bit of searching... [these props are available in a wide range of diameters from about 4.5" up to 12"...]

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Feb 26, 2020, 06:11 PM
Volare sell the orange props that Chris refers to.
Feb 27, 2020, 02:25 AM
Thread OP
Thanks guys fpr all input...!

Now I wonder: Are the Easibuilt props worth the slightly higher price, compared to Volare's chinese products...? The Easibuilt props seems to be of another make... Anyone who knows...?
Feb 27, 2020, 05:17 AM
In the latest (January 2020) issue of Free Flight Quarterly, there is an analysis of the performance of the Easy Built Models 9.5 inch P30 prop compared to the Peck equivalent. This is a preliminary analysis based on calculation and some limited flight testing. The same authors had previously tested other propellers, including the orange Chinese prop, the Peck and Gizmo Geezer variant, and, I believe, the Igra prop. The conclusion in the article is that the Easy Built prop has a comparable performance to the other props e.g. a model with an Easy Built prop reached very close to the same measured height as the same model with the Chinese prop when wound to the same torque. The Chinese prop in earlier tests had been one of the best performers.

The FFQ article has an appendix written by Dave Niedzielski of Easy Built Models detailing the history of their props.
Last edited by Mike Thomas; Feb 27, 2020 at 05:22 AM. Reason: Added footnote
Feb 27, 2020, 06:19 AM
*jj
*jj
I recently bought a 12" plastic propeller from Sams Models.
Feb 27, 2020, 05:24 PM
BOYCOTT SCAMAZON
Have a few of those orange props which work fairly well + I like their shape,they can be had on feebay up to 12 inches for a good price, some events call for plastic.
Last edited by lectroglide; Feb 28, 2020 at 02:50 AM.
Feb 27, 2020, 05:25 PM
BOYCOTT SCAMAZON
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews
A "cheat" he could use is to just shape the blades only and join them to a solid hub. This could be done either as fold in flight blades or as a free wheeler with the blades held firmly but which still fold to avoid damage in a hard arrival. So there would still be SOME carving but not as much as a full one piece prop.

Another option although not as ideal would be to again do a separate blades and hub assembly that uses

plastic blades home made hub>?? interesting concept might have to try that for kix...…….
Last edited by lectroglide; Feb 28, 2020 at 02:49 AM.
Feb 28, 2020, 02:36 AM
I have what I think is a 10 inch EB prop. It's prettier than most other props.
Feb 28, 2020, 03:25 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln
I have what I think is a 10 inch EB prop. It's prettier than most other props.
Without actually knowing, I have the same feel......which resulted in an order of a few white EB 12-inchers....
Of curiousity, I will also keep a couple for myself.

Thanks all, for hints and advices....!

This will be a good start for my buddy, allowing him to proceed with larger models..
Re future prop carving, I am pretty sure that he'll get there eventually, after a bit of encouragement.....

Last edited by Gluehand; Feb 28, 2020 at 04:27 AM.

Quick Reply