Feb 25, 2020, 09:28 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Drone Operators Needed/Ocean Cleanup

We are looking for a few exceptional and experienced volunteer drone operators for our 2020 ocean clean up campaign. Please view the 2019 campaign video here:
Ocean Voyages Cleanup Operation with KWAI (4 min 1 sec)

The primary ship will be the S/V Kwai:
OVI Ocean Cleanup Drone Shots Short Vid (1 min 0 sec)

Drone operations include multiple daily drone sorties from the ship searching for marine debris, collection of B-roll cinematic clips, documentation of marine debris retrieval, and collection of onboard interviews of crew. Launching is easy, hand-catch landing not so much. Are you up for it?
OVI Drone Hand Catches at Sea (4 min 57 sec)

Requirements: Proven ability to launch and land from a moving ship in various sea conditions (Using the Mavic 2 Pro or other DJI drones) with help. Ability to see small objects in a big ocean. Proven ability to compose cinematic shots. Ability to get along with small groups of people for periods of up to 4 weeks.

Benefits: First, being a part of the first responders working to clean up our oceans. Second, building your skill level - Nothing will challenge you more than flying from a moving ship. Third, and actually most important, you will be a primary actor in making the world a better place. Lastly, you will be able to compliment your resume in a way very few people will be able to do.

If interested, please PM me with your ‘drone resume’ including links to your aerial work.

Greg
to remove ads between posts
Feb 26, 2020, 12:04 AM
Freelance Cinematographer
You want an "exceptional and experienced" drone pilot to volunteer their time on a boat for up to 4 weeks? Like... for free?
Feb 26, 2020, 02:52 AM
Hardest part of all that is living on a boat for 4 weeks with a small group of people. That’s hard with a large group, a smaller group puts people on edge faster as they stay in closer contact. If you’re a “center of the universe” type, don’t do it. If you happen to be one that is always mellow you might find it rewarding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Feb 26, 2020, 10:02 AM
Thank you for your efforts in trying to make a difference , wish I was younger and healthier I would not hesitate in offering my time , some thing are worth more than monetary rewards , I hope you find the right people and Pilots needed to help you to continue this important work , such a shame that governments do little to help .
Feb 26, 2020, 01:39 PM
Wrong thread, sharkey.

Feb 26, 2020, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatR
Wrong thread, sharkey.

No right thread, if you think drones can help you. After FAA implementation no drones to help you.

As a professional Diver, environmentalist, and hobby droner you might want to share and help as we all could benefit instead of a terse comment.
Last edited by Carcharadon; Feb 26, 2020 at 01:57 PM.
Feb 27, 2020, 06:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcharadon
No right thread, if you think drones can help you. After FAA implementation no drones to help you.

As a professional Diver, environmentalist, and hobby droner you might want to share and help as we all could benefit instead of a terse comment.
The FAA has no jurisdiction in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
Feb 27, 2020, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMynes
The FAA has no jurisdiction in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

The proposed regs would reduce the number of hobbyists and possible people to your request.
Feb 27, 2020, 08:21 AM
What goes up, hopefully lands!
Quote:
The proposed regs would reduce the number of hobbyists and possible people to your request.
That is like saying if I didn't own a bike, I would forget how to ride one, I haven't been on a bicycle in 30 years although I am quite certain I could mount one today and still ride one. The OP is asking people to operate their aircraft, there are no proposed regulations or any in effect presently to prevent ownership or operations of any "drone" outside of established or proposed areas.
Feb 27, 2020, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repaid1
That is like saying if I didn't own a bike, I would forget how to ride one, I haven't been on a bicycle in 30 years although I am quite certain I could mount one today and still ride one. The OP is asking people to operate their aircraft, there are no proposed regulations or any in effect presently to prevent ownership or operations of any "drone" outside of established or proposed areas.
You have a problem reading

"a few exceptional and experienced volunteer drone operators"

You spend a lot of time posting all over this board, a sign that its time to get a real life. But for someone involved with the hobby you seem at best disinterested in the future of the hobby? Why is that?
Feb 27, 2020, 09:01 AM
What goes up, hopefully lands!
Quote:
You have a problem reading

"a few exceptional and experienced volunteer drone operators"

You spend a lot of time posting all over this board, a sign that its time to get a real life. But for someone involved with the hobby you seem at best disinterested in the future of the hobby? Why is that?
You sir need to know how to effectively use people skills. You claim (And I don't assume differently) Military past. Had you bothered to follow these threads, click my information, you would know that I am former Military as well, I am 100% disabled from such (Thus my time and my "real life" (Thus as it is) is paid for and served. I have indeed advocated long before you, thus your comments and what I have done for this hobby in the past and presently are well known, except by your perceptions and train of "thought" which dare I say, seems quite a bit skewed on mission and objective.
Feb 27, 2020, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repaid1
You sir need to know how to effectively use people skills. You claim (And I don't assume differently) Military past. Had you bothered to follow these threads, click my information, you would know that I am former Military as well, I am 100% disabled from such (Thus my time and my "real life" (Thus as it is) is paid for and served) I have indeed advocated long before you, thus your comments and what I have done for this hobby in the past and presently are well known, except by your perceptions and train of "thought" which dare I say, seems quite a bit skewed on mission and objective.

Well Tim, support the hobby at least. Because the future farmers are about to end your fine contributions.

"seems quite a bit skewed on mission and objective" - that being?? explain yourself please.

FYI

9,409 Posts joined 2014

561 Posts joined 2004
Last edited by Carcharadon; Feb 27, 2020 at 09:21 AM.
Feb 27, 2020, 07:17 PM

Drone Operators Needed/Ocean Cleanup

Dude, are you nuts or simply so single minded all you have is an NPRM to rant about. Your input this far in this thread has zero relevance to the topic.

Feb 27, 2020, 08:53 PM
If it's any consolation, he sent the same link to roughly 35-40 different threads...

Quick Reply