Feb 25, 2020, 12:26 PM
aka ShadowVFX
Thread OP
Question

Is there someone who makes custom waterslide decals for RC?

I've used Callie a few times now, but to be honest, I'm not a fan of how heavy and thick the vinyl "decals" are. I'm an old-school modeler and really like waterslide-style decals since they conform to panel lines and details much better. Is there anyone in this industry that offers custom waterslide decals for RC planes? The largest of the decal sizes I need are about 8" x 6" (this time), but it'd be nice to know there's an option out there for large-scale waterslide decals. And of course, not breaking the bank is important to me.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 25, 2020, 12:35 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
You can get waterslide decal paper for inkjet printers , print any design you want off the internet :
https://www.amazon.com/Water-Slide-T...a-818907473701
Feb 25, 2020, 01:10 PM
aka ShadowVFX
Thread OP
No DIY decals please. I have done this numerous times, but it's very difficult to make good, large prints utilizing a home desktop printer. Not to mention you either need a printer that can print white ink, or you need white-backed decal paper that requires a LOT of effort to trim each print so you don't get excess white on interior "clear" parts of the decal or along the perimeter.
Feb 25, 2020, 01:13 PM
Ghost Rider the pattern's full
https://callie-graphics.com/

Top notch

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Feb 25, 2020, 01:54 PM
aka ShadowVFX
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by santanig5

Top notch

Must not have read my OP.

Quote:
I've used Callie a few times now, but to be honest, I'm not a fan of how heavy and thick the vinyl "decals" are. I'm an old-school modeler and really like waterslide-style decals
Feb 25, 2020, 01:58 PM
You can screen print onto the inkjet printer paper. Or paint them with a brush.

Do that instead of ink, then use the sealer as directed in the instructions for the paper system.

It's MUCH easier than trying to paint the same thing on the covering.

Andy
Feb 25, 2020, 02:20 PM
B for Bruce
We can also get both clear and white water slide "paper". The downside with the white of course is while it gives us a white background for the transfers it does require full edge trimming to avoid a nasty white border.

8x6 is also one heck of a size. The water slide stuff I've used in the past molded around panel lines and such neatly enough but it did not like broad compound curves as I recall. With vinyl you have the option of carefully stretching it to fit without any buckling. Try that with water slide stock and it'll rip into two parts. So anything that large I think I'd want to do in separate parts if it's a typical open frame with covering. Sheeted or other solid surfaces with simple curves of course are another thing.
Feb 25, 2020, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by santanig5

Top notch

Don't think Callie does water slide, only vinyl. If she did water slide she would be swamped with orders.

Her vinyl work is excellent and I am sure that keeps her plenty busy.
Feb 25, 2020, 04:55 PM
AMA 7224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suko
Must not have read my OP.
I'd bet you a tenner her vinyl graphics are thinner than a waterslide decal. Not to mention absolute top shelf service and quality plus she has years of model airplane experience plus she has volumes of reference materials and plus she's a total sweetheart to deal with.
Her work is on all my models plus my truck and mailbox.
Latest blog entry: Hangar 9 Fokker D VII
Feb 25, 2020, 05:30 PM
aka ShadowVFX
Thread OP
Those vinyl graphics aren't even close to the thinness of a waterslide decal. I mean this very sincerely: Have you ever used waterslide decals? Anyone who has could tell you they are micro thin once applied. I literally could apply 50 decals over one another and still probably be thinner than a single layer of the vinyl Callie uses. There's a reason plastic model kits use waterslide decals instead of vinyl. The waterslide offer that "painted on" look. If Vinyl was truly thinner, then Testors, Hasegawa and Revell would be using vinyl decals instead of the waterslide stuff.

PM me and I'll give you my paypal account for that tenner.

In all seriousness, I'm glad you love Callie's work, but you don't need to come to her defense here. I have used her services numerous times in the past, but with the work I'm currently doing I would prefer something that hugs panel lines and detail better than her vinyl. I'm simply asking for other options. I would appreciate it if you would offer suggestions pertinent to the thread, rather than try and tell me I should continue use Callie's product.
Feb 25, 2020, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadchucker
I'd bet you a tenner her vinyl graphics are thinner than a waterslide decal. Not to mention absolute top shelf service and quality plus she has years of model airplane experience plus she has volumes of reference materials and plus she's a total sweetheart to deal with.
Her work is on all my models plus my truck and mailbox.
Guarantee you they are not. I have ordered graphics and the raw vinyl, in I think it was 10 foot lengths. This is heavy vinyl without a doubt.

Easy to work with if you soap down the wing or fuse and then apply the decal.
Feb 26, 2020, 12:11 PM
aka ShadowVFX
Thread OP
So, the impression I'm getting is that Callie is basically the only source for RC decals?

I wonder what the scale master guys do.
Feb 26, 2020, 01:26 PM
It depends on what they're doing, but yes, I know one who uses Callie.

Andy
Feb 26, 2020, 01:35 PM
B for Bruce
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suko
So, the impression I'm getting is that Callie is basically the only source for RC decals?

I wonder what the scale master guys do.
I don't know about all of them but at least one master builder I do know paints all his markings and hand letters all the small lettering on the big stuff.

http://miramarrcflyers.com/MRCF_Docs...eed%20Vega.pdf
Feb 26, 2020, 03:03 PM
Flying a Falcon or a 3D model.
https://www.bedlamcreations.com

Quick Reply