Apr 01, 2005, 12:20 PM
Cool

COZY Mk IV Canard Semi-Scale Foam Scratch Build

Hi all,
I've maiden my scratch-built COZY Mk IV Canard plane on 5th of March 2005, it is an all-foam construction except balsa canards. 2 units of 0.7kg/cm torque blue arrow aileron servos and one 1kg/cm torque canard(elevator) bluebird servo, main wing is 2 pieces of 5mm compressed foam from a local art shop with 5mm dia. CF tube embedded across inside.

Powerplant: Himax 2025/4200kv BL motor mated to Tamazo 4:1 gearbox, Aeronaut 9.5X6 white prop
Amps draw = 13.2amps WOT
Etec 1250mAh 3S li-po battery(92 grammes)
Unbranded 18amps Brushless ESC.
Cruises at 50% throttle, mildly aerobatic
Flight duration = 11 minutes plus
AUW without flight battery = 728 grammes

1st Video below:

https://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/sho...cat=500&page=1

2nd video below:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...33#post5080300

FREE Plans Download Here

TILED and NON-TILED versions are also found here

http://www.parkjets.com/cozy.html
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all, i've also finished drawing the Velociraptor (Long-EZ) and someone have built and flown it over at this thread:-

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428393
Last edited by Steven Wong; Feb 22, 2006 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Re-edited the video.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 01, 2005, 12:24 PM
some more pics... that's my 10-yr-old daughter Daena with the Cozy and F-15 (Jetset44's design)
Apr 01, 2005, 12:32 PM
inverted passing by the moon
AUW = 760 grammes, Cozy's happy just being white
Apr 01, 2005, 01:21 PM
Excellent job, Steven! Looks very scale! Congratulations on your maiden.

Ron
Apr 01, 2005, 01:32 PM
Great work on the planes. The photograhy is top notch also. Are there any plans for this cozy available?
Apr 01, 2005, 02:41 PM
Very nice looking plane. Any plans, or at least dimensions?
Apr 01, 2005, 03:04 PM
Unicorn Pilot
I would be very interested in plans, dimensions, CG. And a question if you don't mind... do you have your canard set positive incidence from main wing?
Apr 05, 2005, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the encouragement, seriously i didn't even think it could fly!
Canards set at zero incidence, main wing also zero incidence, made of 2 pieces of 5mm depron foam with 5mm dia. C.F. hollow tube inside. Main fuse also made mostly of 5mm foam.
Last edited by Steven Wong; Apr 05, 2005 at 07:23 AM.
Apr 05, 2005, 07:28 AM
Canards are made of 2 halfs of 5mm thick soft balsa CA'd and then sanded down to shape.
Blue Bird mini servo used for actuating canards, it's a full flying canard so it's not scale like the real one.
Dia. 4mm CF hollow tube used for canards, running thru' dia. 5mm aluminium bearing tubes on both sides of front fuselage.
A standard-sized futaba servo horn used, CA'd into place as shown in pic, another cut-down servo horn placed on the right side and CA'd too, to stop the CF rod moving about too much, 1/2mm of freeplay is ok.

Will update more build pictures soon, Thanks for viewing
Last edited by Steven Wong; Apr 05, 2005 at 07:35 AM.
Apr 05, 2005, 07:38 AM
In Thrust We Trust
Steven, beautiful plane! Wonderful job putting it together, craftsmanship and detail shows. I think building planes is therapeutic to you, an art where you take your time and contemplate every step. Just guessing, but a persons work reveals alot about the man himself. Congratulations!
Apr 05, 2005, 09:07 AM
wow. nice plane. could use a plane like that. you have to visit Indonesia some time.
the guys would faint seeing that model. looks like you adopted jetsets construction method.
adriel
Apr 05, 2005, 09:55 AM
Thank you for your kind words WaterDog

Yes Adriel, i adopted Steve Shumate's (Jetset44) construction technics
Steve's a brilliant chap!
Indonesia? why would they faint? (LoL!), yes Indonesia is just south of Singapore. Lovely country, beautiful place to go for a holiday though
Apr 06, 2005, 08:27 AM
Cutting of main wings, in total 4 pcs of 5mm thick depron foam wing halfs were used, packing tape were laid inside the grooves cut by penknife so that the CF tube would spread out the load onto the foam.
Main wings were then sprayed with 3M Super 77 Spray glue, left for about a minute and placed gingerly together, this is the most tedious part,i must say Finally weight down with whatever i could find at that moment (chuckles!)
1/4 oz/sq. yard fibreglass cloth with finishing resin were then used to cover bottom of main wing and bottom of fuselage for added strength, rigidity and landings on grass, i'm not adding the scale landing wheels as i'm flying/landing on grass. If you could get any fibreglass cloth lighter than mine please do use it
Last edited by Steven Wong; Sep 27, 2005 at 01:34 AM.
Apr 06, 2005, 08:31 AM
a peek into the installation of the canard servo arm, as well as the back of the fuse.
Foam cooling intake nacelles were added to the aft of the fuselage for cooling the ESC and motor.
Apr 06, 2005, 09:33 PM
The winglets construction, 5mm thick soft balsa on the outside, 2 pcs of 5mm thick foam on the inside,glued together with 3M Super 77 can spray, sanded down to form a curved inner surface, just like the real Cozies
30 mins epoxy used for glueing winglets to end of main wing.

Quick Reply