Feb 24, 2020, 09:19 PM
Low And Slow 3D Pilot
Thread OP
Help!

Eclipson Model T Disintegration

Hey all. I maidened my eclipson model t today, and it disintegrated at a low throttle setting... does anybody know why?
to remove ads between posts
Feb 25, 2020, 02:09 AM
It is very hard to te3ll from a pic showing a pile of broken plastic.

With thwese planes this happens due to:
-bad glue joint
-weak layer bonding
-excessive vibration in combination of the two above
Feb 25, 2020, 03:43 AM
I see very clean joints at the tail section. Probably you have used very little glue on them.
Feb 25, 2020, 06:42 AM
It's not clear from the picture or description what happened, but ... I had pieces separate at the glue joints with my first couple printed planes. I now put a thin layer of epoxy along the seams between pieces after the normal gluing process is done. They hold together quite well that way.
Feb 25, 2020, 09:51 AM
Retired CAD guy
Sorry about your mishap.
I captured your Pic and put some arrows and letters on it for talking point discussion.

Just know that Doing an autopsy or post crash survey is about learning not poking fun or "dissing."

Here is what I see ...

A: I find it telling that the largest Break is at the Left servo line. the likely major culprit for initial wing failure.
Since it didn't break on the Right side ,even on impact, I suspect interlayer bonding at that location.

B: these locations illustrate poor printer results.
All of which could come from either the Printer , or simple slicer settings.

C: all of the fuse parts assembly joints appear to be a compromise. { sorry }
these warps could be a result of initial shrinkage near the Hot plate surface especially if PETG was used

Also ...
The TIPS "both" popped off no doubt on impact, which is another "tell" regarding bonding issues.

Further analysis will require more info ...
Material used
Printer used
Slicer and settings
Initial Model weight
etc ...
Feb 25, 2020, 09:25 PM
Low And Slow 3D Pilot
Thread OP
I printed it using hatchbox pla. I used too much glue on the joints, and my layer adhesion is perfect. I think I figured out how it failed after asking around. We all think that I had control surface flutter causing a quick vibration making the fuse split just behind a glue joint.
Feb 26, 2020, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverW
I printed it using hatchbox pla. I used too much glue on the joints, and my layer adhesion is perfect. I think I figured out how it failed after asking around. We all think that I had control surface flutter causing a quick vibration making the fuse split just behind a glue joint.
Shouldn't happen though.
My LW-PLA blackwing has control surface flutter galor because the surfaces are too soft. That combined with the method fixing them by tape is a bad idea.
If you fly it very fast it flutters like mad. This leads to problems controlling it but the structure is sound still.
Feb 26, 2020, 11:34 AM
Team of ONE....or...Team Me
I myself not having a lot of experience with these printed planes yet would say the birdofplay's analysis seems to be very apt.
All good and constructive notes in my play book.

Now you get to do the whole thing over this time....with more knowledge and maybe change a few things up to improve your prints and bonding tactics.

And the old saying of flying models aircraft is "if you fly eventually you will crash"

Quick Reply