Feb 24, 2020, 07:14 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Which GoPro between Hero 6/7/8 Black ?

Hello all,

As the title says, I hesitate between the different models (taking into account price difference).

What I understand from comparison:

- Same sensors between each camera
- In terms of image stabilization (HyperSmooth): Gopro 8 > Gopro 7 > Gopro 6 ==> Less or not pertinent if using RSGo, which would mean paying less for the GoPro and more for a software which is not endangered by crashes...
- Bitrate: Gopro 8 (100 Mbit/s) > Gopro 7 = Gopro 6 (78 Mbit/s)
- Weight: Gopro 8 heavier (126g), Gopro 7 ~= Gopro 6 ~= 115 g
- Interchangeable lens on Gopro 6/7, not on Gopro 8 (problematic for the application)
- Seems seing some video that the Gopro 8 handle betters the changes of luminosity than the others.

What would be your choice ??

Thanks !
to remove ads between posts
Feb 24, 2020, 10:00 AM
Definitely 7 black. Its Hypersmooth is perfect for fpv, while the 8 overdid it. 8 does not have a replaceable lens protector (the show stopper for me) and they increased the frontal profile area so it's more draggy, in most fpv applications. Also makes it incompatible with all existing tpu mounts that work for the 5/6/7.
Feb 25, 2020, 04:31 AM
Thread OP
Thanks ! That is what I thought.

By curiosity: how often does it happen that the front lens is breaking in typical FPV application ?
(Just to know how many spare I need to buy before they are discontinued^^)
Feb 26, 2020, 05:34 PM
Depends on how and where you fly but I go through a couple every year. Sometimes it's broken from a crash, and sometimes just a big scratch from a rough landing. I saw a couple rotor riot guys flying with brand new hero8s with already smashed lens protectors.

Quick Reply