Feb 24, 2020, 02:42 AM
Just Plane Nutts
Thread OP
Discussion

Volantex Super Cub - 2S brushless / 4-channel upgrade

I finished my project to make a Volantex Super Cub 500 into a REALLY super Cub. Why they named the 4-channel version "Sport" and the 3-channel as "Super" is beyond me, but I fixed that.

Ingredients in this performance stew include full-span balsa ailerons and a 10mm brushless inrunner fed from an eFlite brick with built-in ESC and AS3X stabilization. Separate 1.7g servos handle rudder and elevator duties.

The wing struts were remove to reduce drag, and a 2mm carbon rod epoxied within to assume the wing-reinforcing role and make the wing a cantilever type. The wing itself is removable now, held in place by a single nylon screw and by a short section of carbon rod at the trailing edge.

Performance is........ Well, it's WOW! I can't believe how quick it is now. Straight up performance is like a NASA rocket. Rolls and inverted turn-arounds are easy as breathing. I'm VERY happy with the results. I can finally make it do what I WANT it to do, and still have gyro stabilization to deal with the local and persistent bay winds.

I believe the correct term to use here is, "Happy-Happy, Joy-Joy!"

Happy flying! Build details and first flight videos shown below.

Part 1 - Fuselage mods
Volantex V761-3 Super Cub 500 mod (4 min 18 sec)

Part 2 - Wing mods
Volantex V761-3 Super Cub 500 mod - Part 2 (4 min 18 sec)

Part 3 - First Flights
Volantex V761-3 Super Cub 500 ...... Brushless 2S / 4-channel mod (6 min 21 sec)
Last edited by AirDOGGe; Feb 24, 2020 at 07:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 24, 2020, 01:58 PM
Where did the motor come from.
Feb 24, 2020, 02:45 PM
Well done and great presentation !
Feb 24, 2020, 06:56 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkielsen
Where did the motor come from.

eFlite 10mm outrunner. Plugs right into the 2S-powered AS3X board. You can see it in the first video: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...0MDFB&_sacat=0

Note that I had to drill out the brass pinion gear to fit the 1.5mm shaft on the inrunner motor. The stock 10mm brushed motor has an odd 1.2mm shaft.

And the rear-mounted servos helped to balance the heavier motor up front. Keep and eye on C/G changes.

My next brushless mod will be a Eachine Mini Mustang with a direct-drive motor. I already have a replacement P-51 fuselage and wing to build it with rather than tear down an existing Mustang, and I am testing and deciding on suitable outrunner motors. More to come.
Last edited by AirDOGGe; Feb 25, 2020 at 12:38 AM.
Feb 24, 2020, 07:31 PM
Thank you for your reply, I have all the parts.

John
Feb 25, 2020, 12:38 AM
Just Plane Nutts
Thread OP
No problem. I hope to see photos...

Quick Reply