Feb 23, 2020, 11:19 PM
Thread OP
Help!

I just sliced through my covering

Iím building a new plane and carelessly sliced a slit into the covering on the fuse about 4Ē long. Thereís nothing behind it. Do you think I can patch it from the inside with a piece of clear covering?
to remove ads between posts
Feb 24, 2020, 12:11 AM
If it flies, I can crash it.
what's it covered with? If it's monokote or similar, you can iron on a patch from the outside. Just make the patch big enough its edges are far enough away from the slice that the covering there is tight enough to tack the edges of the patch down. Tack down the perimeter, then shrink the entire patch with a little more application of the iron. Should be good to go. The patch doesn't have to be stuck to the covering at the slice, it only needs to be stuck to the covering around the slice.
Feb 24, 2020, 12:19 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketsled666
what's it covered with? If it's monokote or similar, you can iron on a patch from the outside. Just make the patch big enough its edges are far enough away from the slice that the covering there is tight enough to tack the edges of the patch down. Tack down the perimeter, then shrink the entire patch with a little more application of the iron. Should be good to go. The patch doesn't have to be stuck to the covering at the slice, it only needs to be stuck to the covering around the slice.
Thanks! Itís Ultracote. Iíll try it that way.
Feb 24, 2020, 07:23 AM
'Douglas' to his friends.
Cut the patch with rounded corners, rather than square, as this reduces the chance of a corner peeling up later on.
Feb 24, 2020, 10:12 PM
Thread OP
The slice is closer to the next color than I realized. I might have to take a different approach?

Name: 97941828-F66E-42D5-9F77-DE36C7A12110.jpeg
Views: 49
Size: 408.5 KB
Description:
Feb 24, 2020, 11:26 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Patch it with red, overlapping the white. Then lay a little strip of white over that to restore the stripe.
Feb 25, 2020, 12:39 AM
Thread OP
Thanks. Looking back I guess that seems kind of obvious.

Dad: I’ll be sure to round the corners also. Thank You.
Feb 25, 2020, 04:51 AM
'Douglas' to his friends.
Feb 26, 2020, 02:06 PM
A man with a plan
Watch out with Ultracote. When you apply heat it will shrink the film, but it will also release the adhesive. With too much heat it will pull in and form an ugly wad in the middle. Apply heat sparingly.
Feb 26, 2020, 05:17 PM
Check on a piece of scrap balsa if the red shows through the white. If so you should lay the white down first and then cover to the trim line with the red...
Last edited by RAMFlyer; Feb 26, 2020 at 05:18 PM. Reason: clarify my point
Feb 26, 2020, 06:27 PM
Where's the lift?
I might add to what Balsaworkbench said. I find that covering the slit with a piece of clear packing tape, followed by warm heat from the covering iron, will "heal the wound" and keep the slit together. Then cover over the tape with patches of Ultracote, and you will not have to worry about having enough overlap of your colored film. The tape will do the job, and the film will restore the appearance.

BTW, I hate it when I do stuff like that! "Unforced error"! We all do it, eventually....
Feb 27, 2020, 06:58 AM
I liked reading the ideas above - I learned a thing or two.

However, if this ever happens again, one additional thought would be to use a contrasting piece of trim and use it as an accent, a 'new' part of the covering design. Of course, you would have to do the same to the opposite wing for symmetry.

Bob
Feb 27, 2020, 11:47 AM
A man with a plan
I repaired a hole once with a white star cut from Monokote. By the time I sold the plane it had about half a dozen stars on it of various sizes.
Feb 27, 2020, 11:49 AM
Balsaworkbench,
That was exactly what I was trying to day, except that you said it better :-)
Feb 28, 2020, 08:27 PM
Thread OP
I need to stop at the hobby shop tomorrow and pick up my parts. I’ll grab some covering while I’m there and we’ll see how it goes.

Quick Reply