Feb 26, 2020, 10:14 AM
I've got a bunch of OS .10, .15, and .20 FP engines, and two .40 FPs. All easy peasy.

My brother and I would burn a gallon of Missile Mist in our Cox .049s long before the end of summer, though we never finished a second gallon in one season. We flew LOTS, and wore out our share of engines.

Once we moved up to .20s there was no going back. They usually start on the first or second flip. Gotta love em!

Andy
to remove ads between posts
Feb 26, 2020, 10:18 AM
It took one year for me to figure out why my first Cox 049 (P-51) refused to run.
It started but then it died out ... I was just a kid and nobody knew what was wrong.
Finally I found the mistake, it was a easy fix when You understood how it worked.
Feb 26, 2020, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
Once we moved up to .20s there was no going back. They usually start on the first or second flip. Gotta love em!
Andy
+agree the bigger engines was assembled properly from the start.
Feb 26, 2020, 10:45 AM
Thread OP
I was heavily into 1/2A's back in the mid 1970's; TeeDee .049-powered Pacers, Q-Tee's, etc. I learned how to use a spinner and a regular starter as a geared starter, making them easy to get running. My wife was good at starting and tuning larger glow engines, but she had no patience with 1/2A's.

But, the lack of a throttle, the high-pitched scream (May I point out I wear hearing aids, now, due to the loss of high-frequency hearing?) were problems. Besides, we quit flying Glow in 1987 and haven't flown glow since then.

I know those are dummy engines, with the motor mounts built in. My point was that I wouldn't fly glow (even though I agree, the smell is very pleasant -- one reason I like it at Rhinebeck, with the fragrance of castor oil running through rotaries).

CD
Feb 26, 2020, 10:54 AM
Retired and Lovin' it!
The smell has changed somehow. The last few times I've been to a club field where they were running glow engines, it just smelled like burnt soap. I assumed it was the smell of burnt synthetic oil instead of castor. I know that I didn't like it.

Tony
Feb 26, 2020, 12:54 PM
A man with too many toys
I was out of glow power for 18 years but started getting back into it last year. I really enjoy flying both glow and EP. Some days you just feel like making lots of noise. There is nothing like the doppler effect sound of an big engine winding up as you turn it back towards you in a long shallow descent at full throttle.

Feb 26, 2020, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPfingston
The smell has changed somehow. The last few times I've been to a club field where they were running glow engines, it just smelled like burnt soap. I assumed it was the smell of burnt synthetic oil instead of castor. I know that I didn't like it.
Yeah, blends are definitely better smelling than pure synthetics.

For those who are into glow to any degree at all, the Second Annual Glow Plug Palooza will be hosted by the Decatur (IL) Aerocommanders, most likely in June. When we have things in place I will be posting over in the events area, and our main website is www.GlowPlugPalooza.com

Non-glow is acceptable after hours.

Andy
Feb 26, 2020, 08:21 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
There is nothing like the doppler effect sound of an big engine winding up as you turn it back towards you in a long shallow descent at full throttle.
There's also the musical burble of an idling .60, as the model floats in for a landing!

CD
Feb 27, 2020, 01:21 AM
WJH
WJH
B747-400 First Officer
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnofliwr
Do we need TIC to start another "Grumpy old nen at the flying field" thread?

- Roger
Yes, yes we do.
Feb 27, 2020, 07:49 AM
Whatever happened to him? He used to give people such good advice .... ( )
Feb 27, 2020, 08:43 AM
He's off riding snowmobiles. Seriously. He moved to upper MI so he could do it more easily than down in PA.

Andy
Feb 27, 2020, 10:00 AM
I thought he'd taken a new position as chief test pilot for Zagi
Latest blog entry: blog
Feb 27, 2020, 03:14 PM
Random Flier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dunsel
The guy was adding second antennae to his (and others') transmitters. He swore it's FCC-legal, so I published it in our club newsletter. Then, another R/C Groups member read the newsletter and contacted me. The AMA got into it as the local AVP (and some other, old friends) got the newsletter. Since it appeared the modification violates the FCC certification on the transmitter, I published a correction to the newsletter and tried to get the modifier to talk to the AMA and their technical folks.
Still intrigued! And the furore smells of BS... do the FCC prevent people swapping the aerials on their WiFi routers?
On the other hand I would imagine something like this range booster would upset some people!
Feb 27, 2020, 03:51 PM
A man with too many toys
Quote:
Originally Posted by isvana
Still intrigued! And the furore smells of BS... do the FCC prevent people swapping the aerials on their WiFi routers?
On the other hand I would imagine something like this range booster would upset some people!
FCC has become a joke. Rules are just too technical for the casual RC flyer to worry about. All the FPV flyers ignore them and the FCC does not seam to care.

If the FAA gets too technical with all the electronics the same thing will happen to them. They need to get back to the basics - See and Avoid has always worked and always will work. Trying to make a hacker proof ID system is never going to be secure - especially over a unsecure internet connection with data going to some 3rd party (probably Chinese) tech company).

Feb 27, 2020, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
All the FPV flyers ignore them and the FCC does not seam to care.
That's a pretty broad brush, and one that isn't accurate.

Last year there was an FPV drone race in town. A guy who had been booted from the drone club was causing mayhem during the race by turning on his equipment (he had a chip on his shoulder).

One of the FPV guys spotted him. He ran away. Dummy, he came back and tried again.

This time local law enforcement was there and caught him red-handed.

They dealt with it according to the law.

Good guy with a drone stopped bad guy with a drone.

Andy

Quick Reply