This thread is privately moderated by kentdavid, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 23, 2020, 07:09 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

DH Mosquito scratch build from plans.

Hi all.
I am new to this site and am finding it hard to navigate through it. I'm not sure if this post will work so would really appreciate an acknowledgement if it does.
After a few years of looking online for free usable downloadable plans I have now bought the plans for a 1/23 scale Mosquito. It is designed for control line which was a disappointment but I am hoping to convert it to radio control. Another challenge after the adaptation will be I have never flown one before. I have however built 3 rubber powered planes before. 2 Spitfires and an FW 190 all of which did fly. I joined this site primarily to learn more about radio control equipment and where and how to place the servo's, receiver and control rods. Any help with these would be gratefully received.

So onto the build the build log.
The plans I have state that almost all the parts are 1/16 inch balsa. My first thought was that's ok for control line but is it strong enough for landing. I have traced all the parts I will need to make and then photocopied them. The wing plan and fuselage side and plan view then had to joined together with 3 sheets of A4. The Idea being not to use the original plans too much incase I need them again. Another problem with the plans is that the wings and fuselage are built in a split section so the top half of the fuselage and the top of the wings are built on the plans with the lower halves added after. This is something else I haven't done before. I'll maybe see if I can modify this to build in the conventional way.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 23, 2020, 11:28 PM
rip
Intersting project.
A bit surprised you couldn’t find plans of an rc-mosquito
Feb 24, 2020, 12:35 AM
Try this site

https://outerzone.co.uk/search/resul...yword=mosquito

they have 9 plans for the de havilland one
You can always print plans smaller (or bigger) to match the size you want.
I suggest to use "posteriza" to print plans tiled (freeware)
Feb 24, 2020, 07:11 PM
Thread OP
Thanks guys. I did find some plans but when I tried to enlarge them they were unreadable or trying to download needed a subscription or the sites looked dodgy. I am not too savvy when it comes to computers or programs and find a lot of Really wish I had joined this site years ago. outerzone worked perfectly although I haven't tried enlarging yet. The plans I have only cost 5 quid so really happy considering I will need to spend so much more on balsa and equipment. I have built Gullilows kits before and am much more comfortable with building each side rather than split plan. This may need to be my first modification, which won't be too difficult apart from a couple of smaller ribs and tail sections. At present I am finishing the tracing stage for all the formers, ribs and spars. I should complete this over the next few evenings. I will then see about changing the construction method. Thanks so much for your feedback.
Feb 25, 2020, 07:56 AM
check if this is readable
Feb 25, 2020, 02:15 PM
rip
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentdavid
Thanks guys. I did find some plans but when I tried to enlarge them they were unreadable or trying to download needed a subscription or the sites looked dodgy. I am not too savvy when it comes to computers or programs and find a lot of Really wish I had joined this site years ago. outerzone worked perfectly although I haven't tried enlarging yet. The plans I have only cost 5 quid so really happy considering I will need to spend so much more on balsa and equipment. I have built Gullilows kits before and am much more comfortable with building each side rather than split plan. This may need to be my first modification, which won't be too difficult apart from a couple of smaller ribs and tail sections. At present I am finishing the tracing stage for all the formers, ribs and spars. I should complete this over the next few evenings. I will then see about changing the construction method. Thanks so much for your feedback.
I'd encourage you to post your build progress in a thread here.
That way we can see how it goes and joy or suffer with you... (plenty of that drama in some of the threads
Feb 25, 2020, 03:35 PM
If you download Guillows plans here:
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=3300
they are in pdf format and if you print the pdf selecting "poster" you will get it then in real scale i.e. about 28" wing span.
Mar 10, 2020, 06:52 PM
Thread OP
Thanks again for all your comments. I apologize for the delay in replying. I have previously saved the Guillows plans but can only print on A4. At present I am using the plans I have and am continuing tracing the parts. I have bought some 2mm and 3mm balsa sheets and have some smaller sheets which I can also use. I have also started cutting out the wing ribs, leading and trailing edges. I have covered the undersurface with masking tape and suck double sided tape to the upper, and then stuck the paper template to that. The idea being that the tape top and bottom will strengthen the balsa before cutting the pieces out. I shall add photos with my next update. I have, however, decided to build the fuselage one side at a time rather than top and then bottom. As a result I have joined the top and bottom bulkhead sections together with a view to then cutting them in half horizontally. I am already wishing Guillows had not discontinued this kit as trying to cut and sand each part symmetrically is nigh on impossible...

Quick Reply